RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6712|US
Ditto, what gunslinger just said.

It seems like the military were the only ones who had any kind of plan/organization after Katrina.  The rest of the government was just playing the blame game, while the residents were left without anything.  That made me so angry. 

It was nice to see some countries offer to help.  Even some countries that really should not have given any money to us wanted to show support. (counties hit by the Tsunami, etc)

Back to the real topic---
I think some people just need to inflate their egos.  Yes, the US has made its share of mistakes, but so has everyone else.  Learn and move on!
The Bartenders Son
+42|6691|online

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

honestly why?  there are nearly 200 other nations in the world, yet all I read about is "America this"  America that"  mostly from non-Americans.  Whats with the infactuation of all things USA
They want what They can't HAVE... and WHAT THEY HAVE NOT Earned!

"@W#@# THEM ALL"

Last edited by The Bartenders Son (2006-05-21 22:04:39)

Kibbick
+1|6631

imdead wrote:

I think it was because of the movie everyone watched.. "Team America"

Just kidding. Because we are supposedly the big boss or the superpower if you will. WE are the bully of all nations. Think about it -- whos comes to the rescue if another nation is in turmoil, who comes to the rescue when a natural disaster happened. But yet who comes to our rescue when Katrina hit? People want our loyalty but they dont want to give it back. Basically someone from Vietnam War told me "The reason everyone hates us is because of the freedom our people have" -- in another sentence he said "we have the freedom of religion and many countries despise that"  Hmm. Makes me wonder and think to myself that I am proud to be an American.
Who comes to help you when Katrina hit? Canada. The Canadian Navy arrived with supply ships and was distributing food and supplies to people affected by the storm before any American organisation got there.
Kibbick
+1|6631

Capt. Foley wrote:

Because as long as they enjoy being assholes towards us, even after we pracitcly SAVED THEM from speaking German and Japanize. Wait, not practicly, we did save them, of course they helped but we did almost the entire retaking of the Pacific and Lent HUGE amounts of supplies to other countries for the war in Europe.
Ah yes, the silly American idea that they won WW2. Guess what? You didnt. You contributed a lot to be sure, but you nowhere near won it. You did not lend supplies to anyone, you sold them, and to both sides at that. And Canada provided more war supplies to Europe than the US did, so you can hammer that stupid idea out of your head right now. Why did the US have Omaha and Utah beaches on D-Day? Because there were fewer troops there defending, and there were far more British and Canadian troops who were assigned to take the more heavily fortified areas of Gold, Sword, and Juno beaches that were closer to reinforcements.
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Kibbick wrote:

Capt. Foley wrote:

Because as long as they enjoy being assholes towards us, even after we pracitcly SAVED THEM from speaking German and Japanize. Wait, not practicly, we did save them, of course they helped but we did almost the entire retaking of the Pacific and Lent HUGE amounts of supplies to other countries for the war in Europe.
Ah yes, the silly American idea that they won WW2. Guess what? You didnt. You contributed a lot to be sure, but you nowhere near won it. You did not lend supplies to anyone, you sold them, and to both sides at that. And Canada provided more war supplies to Europe than the US did, so you can hammer that stupid idea out of your head right now. Why did the US have Omaha and Utah beaches on D-Day? Because there were fewer troops there defending, and there were far more British and Canadian troops who were assigned to take the more heavily fortified areas of Gold, Sword, and Juno beaches that were closer to reinforcements.
WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   Im glad to know you dont represent the rest of canada.
mikkel
+383|6599

oStoneRo wrote:

people are jealous....
Heh, I don't think anyone in any other Western country has anything to be jealous about.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6606|Sweden

imdead wrote:

I think it was because of the movie everyone watched.. "Team America"

Just kidding. Because we are supposedly the big boss or the superpower if you will. WE are the bully of all nations. Think about it -- whos comes to the rescue if another nation is in turmoil, who comes to the rescue when a natural disaster happened. But yet who comes to our rescue when Katrina hit? People want our loyalty but they dont want to give it back. Basically someone from Vietnam War told me "The reason everyone hates us is because of the freedom our people have" -- in another sentence he said "we have the freedom of religion and many countries despise that"  Hmm. Makes me wonder and think to myself that I am proud to be an American.
yeah, as others have said Katrina, u got help from plenty. but! Bush told the world "no, we dont want help" after a few days tho he changed his mind, when he realised it was to big for him. and help arrived. Sweden sent alot of water cleaning stuff and medical units.
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

WHAT!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!   Im glad to know you dont represent the rest of canada.
You're right of course.  Russia won WWII.  The Americans did little compared to them.
[RTC]invaderzim69
+19|6553|newcastle australia
Im from australia and personaly im pretty pissed off with our government for following the US into Iraq because it has nothing to do with us and its only goging to end up hurting us. if you look at what the  US did for afganistan  and militant groups while the russians occupied their country (gave them weapons an helped them) and then see them turn around and use these things against them a decade later, you will probably agree with me that this will happen again (this time in iraq) when this new government gets voted out and a new one sworn in who doesnt like what the US and their allies have done.
Anywho more on topic, people get hacked off with Americans because they go into a country/problem area that they have no right to do so and mess things up coz they think everyone wants to live how they do e.g. vietnam, afganistan, iraq, the phillipines etc.
ArMaG3dD0n
+24|6833|Deutschland/Germany

imdead wrote:

But yet who comes to our rescue when Katrina hit? People want our loyalty but they dont want to give it back.
Yeah....noone helped you......only these few countries and organisations offered to help or did help:
Afghanistan, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, the Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Chile, People's Republic of China, Colombia, Cuba, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, the European Union, Finland, France, Gabon, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, International Energy Agency, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Iran, Iraq, Republic of Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kenya, South Korea, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Mongolia, NATO, Nepal, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Nigeria, Norway, Organization of American States, Oman, OPEC, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, the Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan (Republic of China), Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, the United Nations, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Venezuela and the World Health Organization.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio … ne_Katrina to see how they helped.

imdead wrote:

Basically someone from Vietnam War told me "The reason everyone hates us is because of the freedom our people have" -- in another sentence he said "we have the freedom of religion and many countries despise that"  Hmm. Makes me wonder and think to myself that I am proud to be an American.
If everyone would hate the US because of "the freedom" you have then everyone would hate the rich countries in Europe too. I guess you do not want to argue that US citizens are more free than everyone else in the world.

So back on topic: Why is everyone concerned with America
Well 9/11 and the war in iraq got quite some global attention. The next event on the news related to the USA was the hurricane. Then there is the conflict with Iran which is somehow related to the USA. Many topics in this forum are about those events and will eventually be about the USA.
Cactusfist
Pusher of sausages Down Hallways
+26|6566
Its sentimets like this that would make me worried.... I'm only young yet, but i like to think myself quite intelligent, and the way things are going i dont expect to live past 40 Everyones hating SOMEONE or other, seemingly at random as an act of "patriotism". Ive got dual nationality so im not really a true citizen of any country, but for gods sake, if ANYONE has thoughts about how superior they are, just bite your tongue and do away with it! If your going to hold those views, then at least be quiet about it, because no one likes a Braggart rubbing thoughts of how much better he is than everyone else because he lives somewhere thats borders were marked out by a RULER! (yes this did happen with America) Its just a line drawn on a diagram that seprates you from other countries, maybe if you went and understood these people, TALKED to them, instead of judging them and looking down on them you may see things from their point of view. Then you wouldnt have to ask questions like "Why is everyone talking about America"
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6642

Bubbalo wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

You're right of course.  Russia won WWII.  The Americans did little compared to them.
i could have sworn russia wasnt even its own nation at the time smart guy
MurPHy
+9|6569|West Deptford, NJ

Kibbick wrote:

at they won WW2. Guess what? You didnt. You contributed a lot to be sure, but you nowhere near won it. You did not lend supplies to anyone, you sold them, and to both sides at that. And Canada provided more war supplies to Europe than the US did, so you can hammer that stupid idea out of your head right now. Why did the US have Omaha and Utah beaches on D-Day? Because there were fewer troops there defending, and there were far more British and Canadian troops who were assigned to take the more heavily fortified areas of Gold, Sword, and Juno beaches that were closer to reinforcements.
This quote is so full of stupid that I just HAVE to answer.

The Lend-Lease Act initially was just that- lending supplies to Britain, France, and later the Soviet Union. This happened after Britain could no longer pay for supplies, and the Kriegsmarine was starving that country to death, so we simply started giving everything away, with the promise that it would all be repaid eventually. We did not give war supplies to either Germany or Japan after Dec 7, of 41, but before that we were selling some economic supplies to them (oil and scrap metal to Japan). Obviously, we can do whatever we choose to when we're not engaged in a foriegn conflict.

The US supplied many hundreds of thousands of tons of supplies to Europe over the course of the war, from gasoline to trucks to guns to bread to bullets and bombs, we supplied damn near everything. We did not win that war alone, but without our logistical support, the Third Reich would still be alive and kicking today, and France would be speaking German.

Fewer troops on Omaha and Utah? Where do you come up with these fantasies? Have you not heard of the bloodbath that was Omaha beach? Sheer cliffs, defended by the crack 352nd Division of the Wehrmacht. Over 3,000 casualties in the first hours alone. You call that a walk in the park? Granted, Utah and most of the other beaches were defended by green troops, who posed less of a threat, but we were hit hard on Omaha. If you insist on continuing such nonsense, I'll be forced to bring up Dieppe, which was no stellar point for the Canadian Army.

It was all of us working together that won that war. Debating and critisizing one another now, 60 years after the fact, and with people who never even served in that war, is ludicrous. I bet my grandfather is still spry enough to kick your ass, after whipping the Japanese.
Mason4Assassin444
retired
+552|6660|USA
Nice

Yesterday 23:12:39 -1 Why is the world so concerned with Americans?  thats enough of that bullshit 

I hate it when Im right and apparently so does someone else.
My_pet_squirrel
Have you seen my nutz?
+126|6618
Id have to say why the hell do they all bitch about us then they move over into america and still bitch about how bad it is. We have a neighbor from canada all she does its complain how usa isn't like canada everyone is mean and whiny. OMG why can't she get her ass back in a plane and go back asap
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6769|Atlanta, GA USA
It seems like most people who bitch about the US now bitch about the war in Iraq.  One thing I would like to know:  why doesn't anyone bitch about the UK?  They went into Iraq with us, but no one ever says "those damn Brits invaded Iraq!"
CameronPoe
+2,925|6553
Don't worry we'll soon be turning our attentions to the superpower shaping up to replace ye in the very near future: China...
{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank
U.S. > Iran
+497|6576|Florida

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

k1LLr_M wrote:

I really don't like our country that much, sorry, but the truth is we are full of ourselves and think we're perfect and everything we do is right...huge lie.  If the crap hits the fan I'm moving to New Zealand.
why wait till it hits the fan.  Quit taking advantage of being a citizen and leave right now.
agreed - you dont have to live here.  Being an American, you have that choice.  You dont like it, leave, noone is stopping you
Snipedya14
Dont tread on me
+77|6693|Mountains of West Virginia

{BMF}*Frank_The_Tank wrote:

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

k1LLr_M wrote:

I really don't like our country that much, sorry, but the truth is we are full of ourselves and think we're perfect and everything we do is right...huge lie.  If the crap hits the fan I'm moving to New Zealand.
why wait till it hits the fan.  Quit taking advantage of being a citizen and leave right now.
agreed - you dont have to live here.  Being an American, you have that choice.  You dont like it, leave, noone is stopping you
But, if you read a few posts down, well you would of read that he is too young to move out.....
JG1567JG
+110|6586|United States of America

SCUD1974 wrote:

When Katrina hit many countries donated what they could to assist. My country was as generous as possible and my workplace alone managed to raise and donate over $250,000 Australian dollars.
During WW! and WW2 Australian troops fought, suffered and died on soil far from their homes and loved ones for reasons and causes they did not know or understand.
My family lost loved ones in both conflicts as well as having my father serve in Vietnam. I myself served in the peacekeeping mission in East Timor and numerous relief efforts after natural disasters.
I have worked many times alongside US troops and whilst we good naturedly "bash" each other I believe we have a great deal of mutual respect and admiration.
In saying that please be careful when you say that the US are always the ones to assist with no return, no loyalty shown toward them, spend some time understanding your allies and understanding what they have been through by themselves and with the US. You do have friends, you do have allies and you do have loyalty.
Whilst the Australian military is small I'm sure if you research the topic you will find our troops and our training is second to none in the world and we take our alliance and world responsibilities very seriously.

After all...I'm proud to be Australian
Nice Post Scud1974 unlike Bubbalo you sound like you appreciate the friendship that our countries have.

I just heard that some tribe somewhere had just heard about 9/11 or Katrina and either sent or offered 12 cows for our loss.  Now dont laugh this was the ultimate sacrifice on their part to try to lend a helping hand. Think of how important these 12 cows were to this tribe. I would like to thank that tribe whoever they are.
[RTC]invaderzim69
+19|6553|newcastle australia
why did some one -1 me for no aparent reason?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

i could have sworn russia wasnt even its own nation at the time smart guy
Fine, USSR.  What difference does it make?  Russian Empire/USSR = Same shit, different smell.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6835

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

honestly why?  there are nearly 200 other nations in the world, yet all I read about is "America this"  America that"  mostly from non-Americans.  Whats with the infactuation of all things USA
Who will feed and protect them from themselves if we tire of it ?
Bubbalo
The Lizzard
+541|6559
Oh, yes, 'cos it's not like Westerners are the cause of any of the problems.  And you do so much protecting.  What between going to war and threatening to go to war.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6573

GunSlinger OIF II wrote:

I dont care about the US. 

But that dosnt mean I dont care.

It just means im not bothered by what the US does :S

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard