Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
right, so everyone's doing it, as we've already acknowledged. but when someone gets caught doing it, there's a media furore or political consternation, no? whenever china gets caught hacking into us systems, there's a big hoo-hah about it in the media, and a lot of stern words and threats made diplomatically. yet when america gets caught with its pants-down spying on iran... oh it was an accident. and you all buy it. fucking mongs. yeah just like china accidentally hacked us computers for information... a chinese government worker clicked a bad link in one of those junk spam emails!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6509|so randum
i don't think anyone buys it, it's just a bit... awkward to black and white admit it
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480

M.O.A.B wrote:

China does spy on other countries. Iran backs militant groups. China hacks into whatever networks it can. Russia still has spies running around Europe and the U.S, just like we've still got spies running around the ME and Asia.

The wider world is also concerned about what Iran is doing in regard to nuclear technology, not just the U.S.

Also, calling an Iranian an Arab is the last thing you want to do.

Uzique wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

You have a jet powered aircraft flying without control in a straight line, at 50,000ft. It's going to cover some distance even if its engines stopped at the point control was lost.
you have a jet powered aircraft flying in control in a direction determined by an intelligence agency, supposedly out of view and detection rate at 50,000ft. the aircraft loses control and crashes in the territory being spied upon.

choose a more likely scenario, fanboy.
The main nuclear facility is Bushehr, on the west coast, 600-800 miles from the northeast Afghan-Iran border. Quite a distance, and if it were flying inside Iran, it would have gone much further than 150 miles from that height.

Try harder.
iran has nuclear facilities of differing capacity and purpose all over the country

you try harder, wiki warrior
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Uzique wrote:

right, so everyone's doing it, as we've already acknowledged. but when someone gets caught doing it, there's a media furore or political consternation, no? whenever china gets caught hacking into us systems, there's a big hoo-hah about it in the media, and a lot of stern words and threats made diplomatically. yet when america gets caught with its pants-down spying on iran... oh it was an accident. and you all buy it. fucking mongs. yeah just like china accidentally hacked us computers for information... a chinese government worker clicked a bad link in one of those junk spam emails!
I don't really give a shit who was caught doing what to who, because its not going to change anything.

Was the aircraft on a surveillance mission to Iran? Maybe.
Was the aircraft on a surveillance mission over Afghanistan? Maybe.
Did it drift off course when control was lost, starve its tanks and come down? Maybe.

Nobody but a few know the actual facts. Stating it was deliberately over Iranian territory is, at this point, no different to stating it drifted over the border. It's all conjecture.

Drones are used for real-time surveillance, such as required in combat situations like in Afghanistan. When you don't need to know what's happening every second, you use a satellite.

And do try not to act like a five year old with your response.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2011-12-15 08:48:53)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Uzique wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

China does spy on other countries. Iran backs militant groups. China hacks into whatever networks it can. Russia still has spies running around Europe and the U.S, just like we've still got spies running around the ME and Asia.

The wider world is also concerned about what Iran is doing in regard to nuclear technology, not just the U.S.

Also, calling an Iranian an Arab is the last thing you want to do.

Uzique wrote:

you have a jet powered aircraft flying in control in a direction determined by an intelligence agency, supposedly out of view and detection rate at 50,000ft. the aircraft loses control and crashes in the territory being spied upon.

choose a more likely scenario, fanboy.
The main nuclear facility is Bushehr, on the west coast, 600-800 miles from the northeast Afghan-Iran border. Quite a distance, and if it were flying inside Iran, it would have gone much further than 150 miles from that height.

Try harder.
iran has nuclear facilities of differing capacity and purpose all over the country

you try harder, wiki warrior
Uh-huh, and most are in the West, among them the main i.e, near operational, Bushehr facility.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

uum how obtuse are you being? you think the drone malfunctioned and then... flew into iranian airspace, by accident? rofl. you guys were clearly spying on iranian facilities when the bird glided to the ground. you were in the wrong-- espionage. spying. breaking international law and infringing on sovereign rights. stop being such a mong.
When these things go lost link--if they don't follow a pre-programmed return to base flight path--how exactly would one go about getting it to do what you want it to, eh? RAIMIUS pointed out that other types have done something similar and had to be shot down by our own aircraft. This one is designed not to be seen, so who knows if we were even able to find it to do that before it went into Iranian airspace? Interesting take on geography you have, btw...Iran being NE of Afghanistan. NE, due west...what's the diff?

What international law was broken, exactly? An unmanned aircraft accidentally, uncontrollably flew into Iranian airspace (as far as anyone knows). Even if it was intentional, what law was broken? Think they're going to haul the flight crew up in front of the ICC on some charge? Iranian law might have been broken, but international law? I doubt it.

you sound like a ventriloquist doing a white house press conference act

btw i was talking about iran's geography relative to iraq. perhaps my mistake. i don't know where they take off from or normally fly missions over. i don't care. it's a minor point that has nothing to do with my argument.
And you sound like one doing an Iranian regime press conference act.

As MOAB (and I and others) said, one story is as likely as the other. Yet you are fully convinced that only one possibility exists...despite multiple examples of these drones doing exactly what's been claimed to have happened. How many examples do you have of the US flying drones over other countries without their permission, outside of hostilities? Pretty sure you don't have any. We keep them outside of their airspace and get what we can from there...otherwise, international incident--at best.

Use your noggin, ffs.

As to the geographic misstep, it only speaks to you not reading the article...if you didn't know enough to realize where the RQ-170 was operating from. Which speaks to how much authority you have (or don't) on the topic at hand.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6699|Tampa Bay Florida
Oh come on Feos.  Saying something is not true because you cannot prove it, if you are being intellectually honest, also makes you an atheist.  The RQ - 170 is specifically for evading enemy air defenses, which insurgents in Afghanistan absolutely do not have.  Do the math.... we are not saying we have proof, we are saying it is more likely.

Claiming Iranians owe us anything, or committed an act of war by not giving it back, is absolutely childish.  I would've loved to see you wackos start a war with the Soviet Union in 1943 when they decided to keep our B-17s.

Last edited by Spearhead (2011-12-15 12:00:43)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6232|Escea

Spearhead wrote:

Oh come on Feos.  Saying something is not true because you cannot prove it, if you are being intellectually honest, also makes you an atheist.  The RQ - 170 is specifically for evading enemy air defenses, which insurgents in Afghanistan absolutely do not have.  Do the math.... we are not saying we have proof, we are saying it is more likely.

Claiming Iranians owe us anything, or committed an act of war by not giving it back, is absolutely childish.  I would've loved to see you wackos start a war with the Soviet Union in 1943 when they decided to keep our B-17s.
No claim is any more likely than the other at present.
FEOS
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Spearhead wrote:

Second point first: What? I never made that claim. Ever.

Now to the first point: You do realize that there are other aspects/capabilities to that drone besides its stealthiness, right? Like maybe its particular sensor payload(s)? Maybe that's why it was in Afghanistan? The sensors on the other drones are your basic electro-optical cameras. If this had some other whiz-bang set of sensors that helped with the problem set there (IEDs, counter narcotics, etc) better, then the stealthiness has nothing to do with why it's there.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6724|US
For what it is worth, CNN is reporting it was a CIA mission over Iran.
http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/1 … ?hpt=hp_t2
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
oh looksie, a drone 150 miles into iran was... looking at nuclear sites? what are the chances

but i guess so long as feos can use smoke and mirrors with his military hardware knowledge, it denies the elephant in the room, right?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6506

hey, i know! let's start a war over a robot. we've started them for less . . .
eleven bravo
+1,399|5268|foggy bottom
these is the droid we're looking for
Tu Stultus Es
Lipschitz
+1|4535|Upstate New York
Iran is claiming they hijacked the drone by exploiting a known GPS weakness. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45685870/ns … e_monitor/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
amazing. if all the above links turn out to be fact then the americans here like feos are gonna have to eat their hats.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-15 13:11:39)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6746|Oxferd Ohire
so the drone could have wandered 150mi into iran because iran wanted it to
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5268|foggy bottom
shit like this is the reason why infantry will always be the most important aspect of warfare
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6008|...

Lipschitz wrote:

Nah I really don't buy it.
inane little opines
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6480
cause you just think they're dumb muslim monkeys, right?
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6008|...
Did I say that?

They have the drone, that much is clear - but that they hijacked it and landed it at an Iranian airbase? No.
inane little opines
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6781|PNW

Shocking wrote:

Lipschitz wrote:

Nah I really don't buy it.
I always laugh when I hear it called "bat-wing."
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6641|949

Shocking wrote:

Did I say that?

They have the drone, that much is clear - but that they hijacked it and landed it at an Iranian airbase? No.
But really you have no idea, like most of us
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6008|...
Let's just say that it's not very plausible.

Besides,

FEOS wrote:

In either case, it wouldn't end up in one piece, smaller than actual size, with a different paint job, on bad guy TV.
inane little opines
FEOS
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

oh looksie, a drone 150 miles into iran was... looking at nuclear sites? what are the chances

but i guess so long as feos can use smoke and mirrors with his military hardware knowledge, it denies the elephant in the room, right?
Go back and fucking read my posts, ffs.

I said that, based on the history the RPAs have, one explanation is as likely as the other. The only one I discount completely is that Iran took it down with an "electronic ambush."
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard