FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

Which of those has potential in the non-military world - what fields would they lead into?
Pretty much all of them, in one form or another.

1,3,5, and 6 are all air traffic control-related. Two is primarily electronic/avionics. 4 is police/security.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Dilbert_X wrote:

Which of those has potential in the non-military world - what fields would they lead into?
If you get Top Security clearance and work in any tech related field, you'd get jobs lining up like crazy. AF and Navy stereotypically have smarter people compared to army and the corps.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Cybargs wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

If you get Top Security clearance and work in any tech related field, you'd get jobs lining up like crazy. AF and Navy stereotypically have smarter people compared to army and the corps.
And this. But to be fair, those jobs are all typically government-related, which sort of defeats Dilbert's point, I think.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Dilbert_X wrote:

Commie-Killer wrote:

There are quality operations out there but they are hard to find.
I'm not intending to piss on you but I doubt your idea of 'quality' aligns with what most quality management systems really entail.
They involve mindless tedium but are usually thorough and if dealt with properly deliver a 'quality' service/product every time.
They're why designing a drainage system takes 3 months, why a 'quality' landscaping contractor has an office, mgmt staff, overheads and so on.
I'm 20, not 35. I don't have a management team, 7 crews, a office, a couple shops, etc. I'd still say I do the best damn job of anyone under 28 around here, and there is only two other companies that exceed my quality (any they are both charging a extra 35% on top of me).

That said, I'm not FEOS, and I'm not debating this shit with you.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Right now its TACP, possibly down the road I might then try to move onto CCT or possibly PJ (at this moment honestly TACP is what interests me a hell of a lot). I'm going into it with everything. Going to start training, talk to a recruiter this week as I'm recovering from getting the teeth pulled.

In reasonable physical shape except for cardio. Haven't run a mile in 5 years. Not overweight at all though so once I build up the lungs I should be alright. TACP requires 11:41 for 1.5 miles, I'm aiming for 10 for 1.5. Few months to do it in, giving it my all. Got nothing else to do and this honestly should be enjoying. Off to buy running shoes. Aiming to go to basic early spring.

Thank you to RAMIUS and FEOS, both of you provided a lot of help there. Security Forces went out last night as I was researching more. No way in hell. Any other recommendations in case god forbid I don't back to through TACP training? I'm looking for a similar field which will give me the opportunity to try TACP training again down the line.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-12-12 07:26:23)

RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6715|US
The "minimums" for PT stuff are NOT the goals you should ever be happy with.  Those are the goals not to get cut, right away, basically.

A 10min 1.5 is a good starting point.  Expect most of the TACP crowd to do somewhere in the 8-10min range.
jord
+2,382|6678|The North, beyond the wall.
10 minutes is a sufficient time for a 1.5 mile run to enter in basic. I was still getting 10 minutes 2 months into basic and that was about average, even for infantry.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
I was hearing TACP's talk about 10 for entering, but yeah, I'm gonna go lower.

Graduation requires 1.5 in 11:08. Still aiming for below 10.

Last edited by Commie Killer (2011-12-12 10:04:22)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5358|London, England
Have fun with the exercise bike pt tests.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6591

RAIMIUS wrote:

The "minimums" for PT stuff are NOT the goals you should ever be happy with.  Those are the goals not to get cut, right away, basically.

A 10min 1.5 is a good starting point.  Expect most of the TACP crowd to do somewhere in the 8-10min range.
If you want to do well playing with the high-speed types, get the viewpoint of "maxing the test is the minimum standard".
Army, it was something like 11:15 for 2 miles. Don't recall exactly.
I worked at getting 10 minutes even for 2 miles (so, about 7:30 for 1.5), usually ended up at 10:00-10:15 (in Basic Training).

Work up to it, though.
find a good pace that balances leg endurance and breathing capacity - then just autopilot that pace for a few miles.

Good cardio fitness helps in other areas too.
Better blood/oxygen flow - better endurance for long, boring, sleep-inducing classes - better recovery from other muscle-building PT - better tolerance of sleep deprivation
Commie Killer
+192|6387

Jay wrote:

I rape exercise bikes. Used to mountain bike competitively. For some reason the leg and cardio stuff never carried over into running, but bikes are no problem at all.
Commie Killer
+192|6387
My main worry is getting into my head. I know I'm physically capable if I put the effort in, I know I'm mentally capable to do the job. I'm just worried that I'm gonna start doubting myself again, talk myself out of it, be a quitter. That is the big thing for me.
rdx-fx
+955|6591

Commie Killer wrote:

My main worry is getting into my head. I know I'm physically capable if I put the effort in, I know I'm mentally capable to do the job. I'm just worried that I'm gonna start doubting myself again, talk myself out of it, be a quitter. That is the big thing for me.
Two tips to keep in your head, especially in suck-fest military schools:

1) If you know where you're at, if you know what you need to do, and if you know how to do it - Just do it.
Don't headfuck yourself by thinking how hard it is, or how much work it is. 
Just put your head down and do it.   

2) In the middle of being tired, worn out, and sleep deprived, you may forget why you signed up for this.  It makes sense at the beginning, and it makes sense when you're done - don't try to make sense of it in the middle of it. Just keep going.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

RAIMIUS wrote:

If you want to do well playing with the high-speed types, get the viewpoint of "maxing the test is the minimum standard".
Army, it was something like 11:15 for 2 miles. Don't recall exactly.
I worked at getting 10 minutes even for 2 miles (so, about 7:30 for 1.5), usually ended up at 10:00-10:15 (in Basic Training).

Work up to it, though.
find a good pace that balances leg endurance and breathing capacity - then just autopilot that pace for a few miles.

Good cardio fitness helps in other areas too.
Better blood/oxygen flow - better endurance for long, boring, sleep-inducing classes - better recovery from other muscle-building PT - better tolerance of sleep deprivation
Fastest I ever hit was 11:50
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
rdx-fx
+955|6591

Jay wrote:

You also probably had 100 lbs of muscle on me at that time.

I was 165lbs, 6'2" then.  I could pass weight test while carrying a basic load and M-60, iirc.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

You also probably had 100 lbs of muscle on me at that time.

I was 165lbs, 6'2" then.  I could pass weight test while carrying a basic load and M-60, iirc.
I was 6'3" 210 at my lightest. Big frame and lots of contact sports in HS.
-Frederick Bastiat
Commie Killer
+192|6387
rdx-fx, number two is the worry. Number one at worst case will bring about number two.

Regarding weights... I'm 5'8 and 146lbs. The highest I've ever been. Last summer, I was 118lbs at the lowest. My metabolism has finally slowed down to the point that I can keep muscle on me, gotta eat like 3500 calories a day to do it though.
FEOS
+1,182|6411|'Murka

Jay wrote:

We haven't done that monstrosity in years.

And TACPs have to do the Army PT test, as well as the AF PT test (which is push ups, sit ups, abdominal circumference, and 1.5 mile run...all with minimum scores). CCT and PJ have to do the SOF "enhanced" PT test.
― Albert Einstein

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Commie Killer wrote:

I'm 20, not 35. I don't have a management team, 7 crews, a office, a couple shops, etc. I'd still say I do the best damn job of anyone under 28 around here, and there is only two other companies that exceed my quality (any they are both charging a extra 35% on top of me).
You're still not understanding what 'quality' means in a current business sense

That said, I'm not FEOS, and I'm not debating this shit with you.
Was trying to help you, nevermind.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Commie Killer
+192|6387
Any recomendations on whats the best way to talk to recruiters? Just walk in, find the Air Force guy, and tell him I want to be a TACP?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5259|foggy bottom
air force? wtf
Tu Stultus Es
CC-Marley
+407|6829
Meps is fun
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6716

Commie Killer wrote:

Any recomendations on whats the best way to talk to recruiters? Just walk in, find the Air Force guy, and tell him I want to be a TACP?
tell him you wont sign unless you got what you want in your contract. coz lots of them would put you where the AF wants you, not what you want to be in the AF.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6772|PNW

CC-Marley wrote:

Meps is fun
Are you kidding? Meps was some boring shit of sitting around.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6106|eXtreme to the maX

Cybargs wrote:

Commie Killer wrote:

tell him you wont sign unless you got what you want in your contract. coz lots of them would put you where the AF wants you, not what you want to be in the AF.
Because in Soviet America - You tell the military what you'll be doing !
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard