Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|5435|Brisbane, Australia

You are right about it being a side effect of shitty AAA games Uzi but that doesnt diminish the quality of other lower budget games. As someone who is 100% behind "indie" (for lack of a better word) music artists I find it difficult to understand your hostility towards indie game developers. It isnt giving money for 2D old tech games made by people who could be making current gen style games, its giving money to people who are upcoming/not working for big conglomerates and making games how and what they want them to be and not at the behest of publishers.

The fact is that indepenent studios just cant afford to make games with the same graphics/complexity as AAA titles because it is so prohibitively expensive - that is the main problem with game development currently. That to make one it takes a giant team of animators, voice actors, artists etc. Far beyond the scope of what was needed when games were made in the glory days 10/15 years ago.

An increase in complexity and scope requires more money which only comes from getting support from a publisher who is then going to dictate things about the game to maximise sales - which leads to homogeneity and shittyness for anyone who is actually an enthusiast.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,905|5767|USA

^
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
indie music == indie games? lol no. music has reached a point technologically where a dude in his bedroom can afford and have the means to produce, master and release (using the internet as a distribution channel) stuff of the exact same quality as a major studio. many bands nowadays have found their fame by becoming 'internet famous' using stuff known as 'bedroom production'. how can you even try to equate them? you sound clueless. a game company on a limited budget simply cannot afford to develop a game of as high-complexity (and arguably quality, too) out of some DIY engine. doesn't it cost mega-bucks to even get hold of one of the major engines in the first place? simply a terrible argument, nothing less - you say yourself they "simply can't afford to make AAA titles", whereas the point with indepedent music is that the label and record deal is entirely superfluous and corporate... alien to the musical-creative process nowadays.

and the argument that big developer = true enthusiasts won't like is simply bullshit. of course in recent years gaming has gone down a blackhole, but there have been plenty of games in the past made by major developers w/ publishers behind them that have been great. unreal tournament? team fortress? call of duty? just to name a few fps games. the notion that 'enthusiasts' are turned off by major studio games is essentially a faggot geek gamer version of the "hipster" argument: 'i can't enjoy anything made by the mainstream so i'm going to exclusively buy and play games made by unemployed men in their sheds'. no ty. i'll opt out, again.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,905|5767|USA

Let us know when you single-handedly make something with the free engines at your disposal, but it has to be of the same production quality as new AAA releases.

But don't worry, as long as the gameplay is solid, I won't mind if it's a bit retro.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
i love the argument: "if you can't do better then stfu".

oh? guess you should stop posting reviews in the 'rate the last movie you saw' thread, then, until you yourself manage to string together a major motion picture with a celebrity cast and a million-dollar effects budget! cause unless i see you do better yourself... STFU!!! yeah that's such a good one.

my point is that 2011 has been 'the year of the indie game'. which i don't think is anything to celebrate. it's been a year when major game design has gone to shit and has performed so badly that what is effectively a cottage-industry has taken the limelight. not because the indie games are so fucking great omg, but rather because the main studios have failed so badly that we haven't all been playing the super-duper World of Warcraft or 24/7 Battlefield 2 2011 equivalent.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5761|UK
Seriously what the fuck are you even on. There have been plenty of AAA games in the last year of great quality, there have also been great indie games for the last 5 years.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,713|5732|Oxferd Ohire
dont put skyrim on the list of quality. so terribly made even if i do like it
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466

Vilham wrote:

Seriously what the fuck are you even on. There have been plenty of AAA games in the last year of great quality, there have also been great indie games for the last 5 years.
name me a great AAA game from last year?

cf. rthki's post
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
the only good game to be released in the last few years in my opinion is starcraft 2. before that, tf2. and barely anything else truly AAA quality.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5761|UK
really...  how about Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, AssCreed: Brotherhood, Arkham 2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Infamous 2 to name a few.

Skyrim.

Last edited by Vilham (2011-12-13 06:15:18)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,443|4581

globefish23 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

note that tetris and lemmings are both from the '1993' generation that i am referring to. and they were great. for their time.
Yesterday I played a round of chess, with its current form essentially coming from the 15th century.
It was great. For its time.
Guess I will go playing battle chess with paintball guns next time in 2011.

SCNR
Chess is the deepest game ever created. Period.

You can't compare it at all to video games.
mebbe checkers. not chess.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466

Vilham wrote:

really...  how about Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, AssCreed: Brotherhood, Arkham 2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Infamous 2 to name a few.

Skyrim.
lol x10000.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5761|UK

Uzique wrote:

Vilham wrote:

really...  how about Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, AssCreed: Brotherhood, Arkham 2, Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Infamous 2 to name a few.

Skyrim.
lol x10000.
https://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/watch-out-we-got-a-badass-over-here-meme.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
badass? how, exactly? bit of a lame attempt to shoehorn in some 4chan bollocks there, really. how am i being a badass? sorry but a bunch of generic single-player games (mostly all sequels) and a buggy RPG that is a botch pc-console hybrid does not come across to me as 'top aaa games'. it comes across to me as symptoms of the gaming industry becoming a hollywood-like shitfest of lazy sequel rehashes and completely ordinary games. none of those games you listed above are groundbreaking or even special examples of their genre-- in fact, most of their sequels were better. this is completely skipping over the main and obvious fault, as well, that none of them are MULTIPLAYER. which is the biggest and most important factor in discussion within the context of this forum. we're all here to play multi games together, not mouth-breathe on a sofa in single-player console solipsism.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5761|UK
Odd that 4 of them have multiplayer. Admittedly BF3 was diluted by it's wasted development of a single player. Seriously if you don't like how the industry has been for the last 7-8 years build yourself a time machine and go back to the good old days. In this and the Stalker thread you have shown a complete lack of knowledge of the resources put into creating a modern AAA title (AAA is actually representative of a games budget btw, not quality).

Actually this is called "All" Other Games. Here I will look that one up for you. All - Being or representing the entire or total number, amount, or quantity

Now you may be here to talk about multiplayer games, not everyone else is. Accept that and move on.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
i don't need a time machine cause i've got better things to be doing than playing sub-standard shitty games to get by for 'entertainment'. hence my posts in this thread. enjoy the permanent taste of disappointment and the cosying feeling of compromise.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|5761|UK
i've got better things to be doing than playing sub-standard shitty games to get by for 'entertainment'
But apparently not better things to do than whine about this subject on a gaming forum... Sorry im a tad confused.

As to being disappointed, I think your confusing my opinions with yours, ive been far from disappointed this year. I don't pigeon hole myself into only playing tf2 and bf2, I play any game that looks good, and have a great time doing it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
criticism of a game takes 5 minutes to type. lets not carry on naively pretending that even 10% of this forum plays games actively anymore.

and you can carry on.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jackabo
Member
+127|5553|Dublin, Ireland

Uzique wrote:

criticism of a game takes 5 minutes to type. lets not carry on naively pretending that even 10% of this forum plays games actively anymore.

and you can carry on.
Uzique, I don't really browse these forums anymore but everytime I see your posts it's always about you talking shit about something or defending your 'high valued opinions'.

Just fuck off...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
where am i saying my own opinions are so high valued? or epeen? where are you guys getting this from? i don't get 'indie' games; or, i think they're a symptom of the games industry eating its own face. where does that make my own opinion 'high valued'? it's my $0.02. i discuss it to see what other people have to say about their inclinations to play it.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
Moderator
+1,905|5767|USA

Uzique wrote:

criticism of a game takes 5 minutes to type. lets not carry on naively pretending that even 10% of this forum plays games actively anymore.

and you can carry on.
Yet you criticize me for taking five minutes to type criticism of a game.


Uzique wrote:

i love the argument: "if you can't do better then stfu".

oh? guess you should stop posting reviews in the 'rate the last movie you saw' thread, then, until you yourself manage to string together a major motion picture with a celebrity cast and a million-dollar effects budget! cause unless i see you do better yourself... STFU!!! yeah that's such a good one.

my point is that 2011 has been 'the year of the indie game'. which i don't think is anything to celebrate. it's been a year when major game design has gone to shit and has performed so badly that what is effectively a cottage-industry has taken the limelight. not because the indie games are so fucking great omg, but rather because the main studios have failed so badly that we haven't all been playing the super-duper World of Warcraft or 24/7 Battlefield 2 2011 equivalent.
I'm not telling you to stfu about it. I'm just saying what it looks like.
bennisboy
Member
+829|5641|Poundland

Uzique wrote:

where am i saying my own opinions are so high valued? or epeen? where are you guys getting this from? i don't get 'indie' games; or, i think they're a symptom of the games industry eating its own face. where does that make my own opinion 'high valued'? it's my $0.02. i discuss it to see what other people have to say about their inclinations to play it.
TBH, you either personally insult people that disagree with you, or tell them that they are talking bollocks. You completely miss the point of opinions. You're like a bible basher that won't rest until everyone shares your opinion. You post in a lot of threads just to moan, bitch and insult people, then say you have better things to do than play a game that doesn't appeal to you.... does not add up.

If you actually put your points across in a way that doesn't resort to telling people they don't have any idea what they are talking about (or that they are stupid/inbred/deserve to die) and cannot accept a single point that someone puts to you, then it smacks as close mindedness
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5466
i'm not saying people are 'wrong' to play 2d games at all. where am i closed-minded? i've said repeatedly that you guys are welcome to your 2d games, just i will "opt out". to me their new 'cool vogue' is an indicator of the fact the entire games industry is going belly up and floating in a scummy bowl. it mystifies me how people are parting with their cash and happily sat on dx11 quad-core tri-flavor octo-sonic gaming rigs playing games that will also run on a gameboy color. i laugh at james only because a) it's personal jest, fucking around (which is what 90% of my posts on this forum are about, which you are completely missing the point of because you don't partake in the social side of bf2s) and b) because he's just bought like a brand new graphics card! and has been playing 2d games more than even-3d games recently. it baffles me how the gaming industry now is so perverse that 'gaming enthusiasts' want to brag about their £1500 computer rigs in tech-threads whilst spending their nightly gaming sessions playing indie games that could run on an atari. something is very sick with the games industry: tech advances, gets ever more intricate, games (across the board - in AAA and indie circles) regress and get more retarded. and yet everyone still somehow has a grin on their face. i don't understand wtf is going on with gaming, as an industry and as an art/entertainment form. it's saturnalian.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
bennisboy
Member
+829|5641|Poundland

Uzique wrote:

i'm not saying people are 'wrong' to play 2d games at all. where am i closed-minded? i've said repeatedly that you guys are welcome to your 2d games, just i will "opt out". to me their new 'cool vogue' is an indicator of the fact the entire games industry is going belly up and floating in a scummy bowl. it mystifies me how people are parting with their cash and happily sat on dx11 quad-core tri-flavor octo-sonic gaming rigs playing games that will also run on a gameboy color. i laugh at james only because a) it's personal jest, fucking around (which is what 90% of my posts on this forum are about, which you are completely missing the point of because you don't partake in the social side of bf2s) and b) because he's just bought like a brand new graphics card! and has been playing 2d games more than even-3d games recently. it baffles me how the gaming industry now is so perverse that 'gaming enthusiasts' want to brag about their £1500 computer rigs in tech-threads whilst spending their nightly gaming sessions playing indie games that could run on an atari. something is very sick with the games industry: tech advances, gets ever more intricate, games (across the board - in AAA and indie circles) regress and get more retarded. and yet everyone still somehow has a grin on their face. i don't understand wtf is going on with gaming, as an industry and as an art/entertainment form. it's saturnalian.
See this is a post giving your opinion,  you actually give some good reasons for what you think. To a certain extent I agree with the lack of quality in the games industry, but this doesn't mean people shouldn't enjoy or play indie games. Frankly it's better that people reward developers who are thinking outside the box. It rewards innovation, and as those small developers grow, they'll be able to afford more resources for "bigger" games that they can put some new ideas and creativity into, rather than another shooting gallery.

Also I know a lot of your posts aren't serious, some make me laugh, but when it comes to discussions, you often get ridiculous if people don't share your opinion

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard