+1,010|6295|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
So... CL9 vs CL8 DDR3-ram

Is 1 cycle faster worth 33% more money? I doubt it, but I would like your input
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6576|NYC / Hamburg

no
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
FloppY_
­
New Ivy bridge processors coming April-May
Replacement for the 560 coming mid-2012

I thought they were much closer, I guess I should just go ahead and buy what I've lined up now?

Intel i5-2500
ASUS Z68-series motherboard (haven't decided which yet)
ASUS 560ti 448 TOP (factory OC)
Corsair Vengeance (LowProfile) 4x2GB DDR3 1600Mhz CL9
Corsair Obsidian 650D mid-tower

Cost: €675+Motherboard+CPU cooler
(I need to find a LGA1055 cooler, suggestions?

And re-use my:
Corsair HX620W modular PSU
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB (I might consider making this a NAS and buying a Spinpoint F4 for the new build instead)

Looking good?
Suggestions?
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4977|Dundee, Scotland.

FloppY_ wrote:

I thought they were much closer, I guess I should just go ahead and buy what I've lined up now?

Intel i5-2500

And re-use my:
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB (I might consider making this a NAS and buying a Spinpoint F4 for the new build instead)

Looking good?
Suggestions?
hmmm... I dunno man. Ivy Bridge is going to be ridiculously fast. Plus, I wouldn't re-use an old psu. Something about it just seems... tempting-fate-ish
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
FloppY_
­

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Intel i5-2500

And re-use my:

Looking good?
Suggestions?
hmmm... I dunno man. Ivy Bridge is going to be ridiculously fast. Plus, I wouldn't re-use an old psu. Something about it just seems... tempting-fate-ish
And what comes after IvyBridge will no doubt be "rediculously fast" as well, new stuff comes out every year, waiting half a year for a new PC is hardly worth it? Besides, IvyBridge is LGA1055 like the i5-2500

Hardly, at work we have very limited ressources and even the old cheapest possible 350W-400W PSU's there fail so rarely it's insignificant... The one I remember that did fail, didn't take any hardware with it iirc.
My HX620W is from January 2009

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-10 07:11:00)

Lipschitz
+1|4535|Upstate New York

FloppY_ wrote:

Camm wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Intel i5-2500

And re-use my:

Looking good?
Suggestions?
And what comes after IvyBridge will no doubt be "rediculously fast" as well, new stuff comes out every year, waiting half a year for a new PC is hardly worth it? Besides, IvyBridge is LGA1055 like the i5-2500

Hardly, at work we have very limited ressources and even the old cheapest possible 350W-400W PSU's there fail so rarely it's insignificant... The one I remember that did fail, didn't take any hardware with it iirc.
My HX620W is from January 2009
That's just it, there's always something bigger, better and faster just around the corner.  I've been putting off building my new system until the new AMD Piledriver comes out but I sprung for the Bulldozer last week instead because trying to keep up with the new stuff is an exercise in futility.
FloppY_
­
By the looks of this, The mid-range IvyBridge CPU's don't offer any huge jumps in performance, I can't find any info on the new i5's though

Intel's own "estimate" is +20% performance, That doesn't sound like it's worth the wait considering I'm using a C2D E8500 and a HD4870 which BSODs regularly thanks to what I think is a faulty motherboard

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-10 07:25:19)

Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6748|Toronto | Canada

i want to see somebody actually wear this http://gizmodo.com/5866872/party-vest-s … -your-back
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6420|'Murka

Is 620W enough to power everything?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FloppY_
­

FEOS wrote:

Is 620W enough to power everything?
http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Says 444W is enough (That is with 5-6 USB devices, one of each type SSD (don't know the difference), and 5 fans selected aswell)

Throwing on another 560ti still doesn't bring it over 600

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-10 08:07:59)

Benzin
+576|6007
Just go ahead and buy it and be done with the whole thing. At the end of the day it's not likely you'll ever use your CPU enough to really see or even take advantage of that difference unless you're working with CPU-heavy programs on a regular basis. The real jumps are being made in GPU technology and even then only a few games really stress your cards enough to warrant a monster of a thing.
FloppY_
­

CapnNismo wrote:

Just go ahead and buy it and be done with the whole thing. At the end of the day it's not likely you'll ever use your CPU enough to really see or even take advantage of that difference unless you're working with CPU-heavy programs on a regular basis. The real jumps are being made in GPU technology and even then only a few games really stress your cards enough to warrant a monster of a thing.
And now that AMD officially announced that they will stop trying to directly compete with Intel that might slow it down abit too...

Added the finishing components and now I got the full getup:

Intel i5-2500 3.33Ghz
ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
ASUS 560ti 448 TOP with their twin-fan cooler
Corsair VENGEANCE LP DDR3 1600Mhz 4x2GB CL9
Corsair Hydro H60

I'll re-use my 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F1 for now, I hear HDD's are expensive because of that natural disaster in HDD-land

Should I fork out the cash and get a brand new Corsair TX Series V2 750W instead of re-using my modular HX620W?

Grand total with the PSU and without HDD/SSD will be €1000

So that's it, talk about brand loyalty... Now I just have to think if there are any other worthwhile games than ME3 coming out in the near future, I haven't played a lot of new games lately other than indies.
I am so indecisive I hate it...
Benzin
+576|6007
I'm not sure about the Corsair Hydro H60, dude. I have the H70 and you'll want the larger radiator and the lines that can pivot - TRUST ME.

EDIT:
Looking at New Egg apparently the H70 doesn't come with fans but the one I bought off a friend definitely did come with fans stock from Corsair (and they work great!). Very odd. Guess Corsair changed stuff when they expanded the model line-up because I know my friend got one of the first H70s from Corsair back when there was only the lower model and this one. The H80 seems to be more the one you'll want, however - has the radiator of the H70, two fans and apparently a knob that allows you to turn on the water block to control the fans... nice.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-12-11 01:18:06)

FloppY_
­

CapnNismo wrote:

I'm not sure about the Corsair Hydro H60, dude. I have the H70 and you'll want the larger radiator and the lines that can pivot - TRUST ME.

EDIT:
Looking at New Egg apparently the H70 doesn't come with fans but the one I bought off a friend definitely did come with fans stock from Corsair (and they work great!). Very odd. Guess Corsair changed stuff when they expanded the model line-up because I know my friend got one of the first H70s from Corsair back when there was only the lower model and this one. The H80 seems to be more the one you'll want, however - has the radiator of the H70, two fans and apparently a knob that allows you to turn on the water block to control the fans... nice.
The H80 is also €20 more expensive. All reviews I've found have praised the H60 for being the best in it's pricegroup, especially when used on a push-pull setup with 2 fans. And I won't be doing ANY OC'ing..

I'll look into it though, thx for the input..

EDIT: Looked into it, the only difference between the H60 and H80, is that the H80 is twice as thick, comes with an extra fan and has the 3-speed manual button on the CPU plate... the pictures show nothing adjustable on the heatsink on either model. I may have misunderstood what you meant by "lines" though...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-11 03:47:37)

Benzin
+576|6007
The lines carrying the water (on my H70) are connected to the block via fittings that can rotate. The pipes themselves are bendable and everything, but where they meet the block, they have another axis of movement that the H60 does not.
Benzin
+576|6007
Was looking at laptops all afternoon and every October there are sales on enterprise-grade laptops here. For a T420 from Lenovo I can get it for €899 without an OS or €999 with an OS. Wondering if that's a good deal at all, might buy it when the sale comes around next year.

http://www.ubook.at/?id=60421

Here's the page, just scroll down to the T420. It's got pretty much every option available minus the UMTS module, but that can be added by the customer. Pretty stout, no?

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-12-11 05:26:36)

FloppY_
­

CapnNismo wrote:

Was looking at laptops all afternoon and every October there are sales on enterprise-grade laptops here. For a T420 from Lenovo I can get it for €899 without an OS or €999 with an OS. Wondering if that's a good deal at all, might buy it when the sale comes around next year.

http://www.ubook.at/?id=60421

Here's the page, just scroll down to the T420. It's got pretty much every option available minus the UMTS module, but that can be added by the customer. Pretty stout, no?
fap fap
Benzin
+576|6007
I know, right? Just hoping that there will be some convertible notebooks with a capacitive touchscreen and Windows 8... that's all I want. Then again, a Thinkpad would be totally boss. Had a friend in my German courses that sold me on them - she lugged her Thinkpad through India and Southeast Asia for a couple of years and that thing put up with all kinds of shit she said. Ever since then I've been sold.

When you read the warranty agreement (unfortunately not in English on that website), the 3 year warranties that Lenovo and HP offer on their enterprise gear is absolutely amazing. It's more or less a "we dare you to fuck it up"! XD

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-12-11 09:54:49)

FloppY_
­

CapnNismo wrote:

I know, right? Just hoping that there will be some convertible notebooks with a capacitive touchscreen and Windows 8... that's all I want. Then again, a Thinkpad would be totally boss. Had a friend in my German courses that sold me on them - she lugged her Thinkpad through India and Southeast Asia for a couple of years and that thing put up with all kinds of shit she said. Ever since then I've been sold.

When you read the warranty agreement (unfortunately not in English on that website), the 3 year warranties that Lenovo and HP offer on their enterprise gear is absolutely amazing. It's more or less a "we dare you to fuck it up"! XD

EDIT: More and better videos

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-11 10:11:46)

Benzin
+576|6007
Done deal, come next year when the ThinkPads go up for sale again, I'm buying it. Just gotta see if Lenovo's own version of Windows (apparently they have a few gimmicks) can also be built on top of a stock Windows release. If so, gonna save myself €100.
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6662
So if you're getting a non-Mac laptop, is Lenovo pretty much the way to go? (I think I'm going to buy my first laptop this Xmas break)
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
FloppY_
­

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

So if you're getting a non-Mac laptop, is Lenovo pretty much the way to go? (I think I'm going to buy my first laptop this Xmas break)
Thinkpads. Ideapads are a different ballgame, still good but "consumer"-grade like regular laptops.

Unless you want to play games on it, yeah..

I especially love the mouse-dot or w/e it's called that all Thinkpads come with as an alternative to the trackpad, it's sooooooo comfortable to use...

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-12-11 13:19:32)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4977|Dundee, Scotland.

FloppY_ wrote:

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Thinkpads. Ideapads are a different ballgame, still good but "consumer"-grade like regular laptops.

Unless you want to play games on it, yeah..

I especially love the mouse-dot or w/e it's called that all Thinkpads come with as an alternative to the trackpad, it's sooooooo comfortable to use...
clit-mouse
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6748|Toronto | Canada

Ideapads are definitely pretty top of the line.  And playing games on it is perfectly fine...

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard