Tripulaci0n
+14|6127

Jay wrote:

Tripulaci0n wrote:

I think the problem is that we evolved in small tribes and now we have cities with millions of (relatively unrelated) people.

Let alone entire countries where farmers need to worry about starving homeless people in the cities. Or angry foreigners with a lot of oil.

I'm not saying there's nothing to be done, not by a long shot; but the scope of what has to change, on a global scale, really is almost too much to comprehend. It's not something that can be summed up in a two line campaign slogan. Yet a lot of things must change at once for real, effective, long term success.

My .02
What? What needs to change? What's broken? I have a job. I don't have to worry about starving. I have hundreds of television channels to choose from. Millions of internet sites to peruse. I have a car that allows me to travel, and a mass transit system that does the same (let alone my own two feet!).

Why are people always trying to change shit that doesn't need changing? Yeah, I'm talking about my own life, and my own country, but the rest of the world is getting here too (unless you live in an African dictatorship). People whine too fucking much. Even our unemployed and unemployable have nothing to worry about besides who is getting sent home on American Idol. People aren't starving in the streets or dying from a lack of services.
Nothing needs to change?

Do you keep up with the headlines about Europe's financial crisis? You know, the one that the US and Asia are both tangled in?

What? World wide depression because under the table deals for billions of dollars that got a select few rich? Coooooooooool!

I'm not really talking about all the strange conspiracy theory level crap that the OWS people like to rant and rave about either. I'm talking about the fact that there are many problems with the way that money flows, and it's going to come and bite us all in the ass sooner or later.

Last edited by Tripulaci0n (2011-11-29 12:45:56)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

Oh, there's a problem with government spending, but I doubt he was talking about that. It seemed like youthful let's change the world idealism.
Government spending is just a part, lack of overall strategy and grovelling to certain sectors of the economy is another.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England
I'm about 1/3 through and the thing I'm taking away is that the 'protestors' are treating it all like it's a big fucking game. Let's mass in a crowd, and see how much we can fuck with the cops before we get bit. Childish stupidity.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Jay wrote:

I'm about 1/3 through and the thing I'm taking away is that the 'protestors' are treating it all like it's a big fucking game. Let's mass in a crowd, and see how much we can fuck with the cops before we get bit. Childish stupidity.
blockade police
gets pepperspray
bitch about getting peppersprayed
let police "peacefully go"
claim victory
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6603|949

I think the main issue is that the government is involved in a trickle up economic system. The relationship between government and big business is too cozy.  Big business has a very unified front and concentrated efforts on maintaining that relationship, and are able to allocate a ton of resources to get what they want. The people collectively are a larger force, but for more disorganized and varied with their interests. It's an uphill battle that won't be won by the people without using the tools our founders supposedly put in place (the government) to help achieve that goal.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

blockade police
gets pepperspray
claim victory
The most disturbing aspect to me is the mindlessness of the chanting. They're all repeating the words of one man like puppets. I bet that voice wasn't one of the people that got sprayed either. Sheep. Stupid fucking sheep.

Last edited by Jay (2011-12-02 10:56:02)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Jay wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

blockade police
gets pepperspray
claim victory
The most disturbing aspect to me is the mindlessness of the chanting. They're all repeating the words of one man like puppets. I bet that voice wasn't one of the people that got sprayed either. Sheep. Stupid fucking sheep.
so much for promoting independent though by colleges.

typical college student: my mind is open up to new ideas! only if they agree with me!
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6685|US

Cybargs wrote:

Jay wrote:

blockade police
gets pepperspray
claim victory
Yeah.  I don't know how they claim they are being peaceful by surrounding the police, demanding they release people in their custody, and stopping them from leaving....add in the demands that they leave while blocking them from doing so for extra logic points.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439
I would have broken out the batons. They got it easy with the pepper spray.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Yeah, angry mob inches closer to police waving the peace sign around, shouting "YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO THIS!"

That's right, the protesters didn't have to do it.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6667|NJ
Remember ever one can always fall back to government sponsored jobs in the country. Things get too bad get a government job like the police or the military. Fuck the private sector they've done nothing but complain in this country.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Remember ever one can always fall back to government sponsored jobs in the country. Things get too bad get a government job like the police or the military. Fuck the private sector they've done nothing but complain in this country.
It's not that easy anymore. Public sector is laying off people as well.
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6439

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

In fact the private sector is hiring more than the public right now. Also very few people are cut out to be soldiers or cops, if you're not a physically fit 20 something they're likely to reject you.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6667|NJ

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

In fact the private sector is hiring more than the public right now. Also very few people are cut out to be soldiers or cops, if you're not a physically fit 20 something they're likely to reject you.
yeah it's weird how they are laying off in the Military now, I don't think that's ever happened. Well anyway at least the people making the rules have set themselves up forever.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

yeah it's weird how they are laying off in the Military now, I don't think that's ever happened. Well anyway at least the people making the rules have set themselves up forever.
They laid off tens of thousands of military personnel under Clinton.
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6077|eXtreme to the maX
They're unproductive units of labour.
So what?

There are other more productive uses of workfare.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

They're unproductive units of labour.
So what?

There are other more productive uses of workfare.
Just because you don't value the invasion detterence your military provides doesn't make them valueless.

I know you're trying to be as offensive as possible to get a rise. Obvious troll is obvious.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
lol invasion deterrence. ok. yeah i'm sure all those mongs that left my school with poor academic performance, who just joined the army because it was the 'done' thing, or because their parents did, are really deterring invasion. i'm sure that's it. only thing keeping north korea from floating a submarine fleet up into the english channel is all those grunts.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
i think you're confusing the military's actual purpose with why people join the military.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

lol invasion deterrence. ok. yeah i'm sure all those mongs that left my school with poor academic performance, who just joined the army because it was the 'done' thing, or because their parents did, are really deterring invasion. i'm sure that's it. only thing keeping north korea from floating a submarine fleet up into the english channel is all those grunts.
So you would feel comfortable if your entire military were disbanded?
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
yes, i would. keep nukes and keep defense systems (i.e. missiles). we don't need hundreds of thousands of ground troops to 'protect' our country. the spanish aren't going to come up with an armada, nor are the vikings going to mount a coastal raid.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

yes, i would. keep nukes and keep defense systems (i.e. missiles). we don't need hundreds of thousands of ground troops to 'protect' our country. the spanish aren't going to come up with an armada, nor are the vikings going to mount a coastal raid.
Oh, so you want to keep some military around, but it's cool to insult them because you, the military expert, disagree with the overall size. I see.
-Frederick Bastiat
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
lets be honest here: the only way our military pays for itself is by generating short-term industrial-military production (which benefits big defense corporations and the government pot) and by returning its investment in a roundabout way by opening up new foreign countries (and their resources) to either a) the free-market, western investors and private enterprise and/or b) lucrative government deals and seizures. the military as it is as an organisation, being footed by the taxpayer, is a huge ripoff. no nation needs a standing army of that size for defense thesedays. it's not the middle-ages. furthermore we've all formed massive economic blocs because of the free-market; our neighbours are no longer land-grabbing threats. what the fuck are you afraid of, galt? cuban commandos? russian bombers flying over the artic and parachuting down crack soviet squads with ppsh's and vodka? mexican drug cartels trying to seize some new crack-slinging turf from your government? be real. you're a waste of money.

galt it's really pointless arguing with you over the military's use because it is already well-documented here that you are just one big ball of hypocrisy and personal contradiction on the matter. hate big government? love the military. hate handouts and people that don't work for what they have? get cheap education cause of previous job. ok ok yeah.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-12-05 05:12:09)

Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

Jay wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Jay wrote:

Jens, if you tried to strap me into a communistic system I wouldn't work. Or, I'd work just as hard as necessary to not get shot (because you will resort to killing off the useless eventually, how else will you motivate the rest to work?). So would most people. The system benefits the bottom feeders excessively which demotivates the above average which drive every society. How would you motivate people to work? Guilt?
I think that's because you are born and bred in a capitalist society that promotes greed. Doesn't mean it's the only society that can ever work.
Greed? How about fairness? How about I keep what I earn? Why is it noble for me to work harder than the man next to me but receive an equal reward? Motivate me to continue working harder than him. Motivate me to work even at a fraction of what he is doing if it means that I still receive the same reward. Solve that, and you can have your utopia. Good luck.
I think you're missing my point completely. I'm saying that communism doesn't work in our modern society because people are greedy. Just look at what you're saying: "I wouldn't work". Neither would a lot of people, and me too, because we're all driven towards an idea were little work at high pay is the ideal. If we can get away from working for our money, we do so. Just look at the amount of people who cheat on their taxes.

However, that's not to say that that is how we work by nature. Which is my point. 'Communism wouldn't work because I wouldn't work under communism' is a weak argument, because you're only seeing it form your current perspective in a current context.

Jay wrote:

And coming from a rich kid whose parents are paying for him to attend a private university in a foreign country... that's too funny.
waheeey, excellent argument, bro. It's not even remotely relevant, but I still feel the need to correct it: my parents are paying nothing for my degree, the university is not private, but very much public, and oh no foreign country scary shit fuck.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard