HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5638|Bolingbrook, Illinois
hm....  yeah i should probably stretch more soon..

a couple of months ago i had to stop squatting because my hip flexors got messed up.  i just stayed in the squat position in between sets and that problem seemed to go away.  i still don't really stretch at all for any of my other exercises though, so i should probably get on that...
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|4708|Always Sunny in Philadelphia
guy at work asked a question and i have no idea.....

he hasnt bench pressed in years instead all he does in dumbell presses.  he asked if he can do 65 lb dumbells for his presses, what would the equate to in bench press?  same weight (130 lbs)?  i dunno.
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6445|Washington St.
My dumbbell press is significantly less than my bench press. Though this may be for a number of reasons (DB press is typically after BP making me more tired, I go farther down with DB's because there is obv no bar to hit my chest, etc.). I lift about 75% of my bench press with dumbbells but I'm a weakling and have had no real training or education in weight-training so don't take my word for anything.
Just my 2 pence.
Stimey
­
+786|6274|Ontario | Canada

pirana6 wrote:

My dumbbell press is significantly less than my bench press. Though this may be for a number of reasons (DB press is typically after BP making me more tired, I go farther down with DB's because there is obv no bar to hit my chest, etc.). I lift about 75% of my bench press with dumbbells but I'm a weakling and have had no real training or education in weight-training so don't take my word for anything.
Just my 2 pence.
yea.

When ypu do DB press you work more muscles (to stabilize the weight), so it makes sense that it is lower than a flat bench.
However is all he's been doing for 3 years is DB, then it would make sense that his stabilizers are just as developed as his Pecs.
I'd say he should start at 135ish and work his way up from there if necessary
­
­
­
­
­
­
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5638|Bolingbrook, Illinois
he should start at 45 and go up by 5 every workout while making sure that his form is perfect
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6478|New Haven, CT
My deadlift is now five pounds above my parallel squats, albeit at 4x4 rather than 4x6.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6614|UK
Db press is definitely harder!
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
i see people doing decline presses but i do not see the point of them.  am i missing out?

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6346|Roma
Decline uses the lower part of your pecks more, which is bigger. I think you should be able to lift more than incline, which is almost shoulder press.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
so its a good exercise?  ok i will try it

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6346|Roma
I don't do them because the benches I use don't decline and I'm not going to stack boxes.
I would like to try them, I don't know how effective they are.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6310|Vancouver | Canada
Is a faint elbow pain while doing pushups due to not enough/bad stretching?
(It's also always in my right elbow. Never the left.)
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
I've been down with elbow pain for about 3-4 months now.
Don't underestimate.

Remember to properly strecth your triceps and just be careful that you don't overwork it.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6614|UK
What do you guys think of active workout recovery?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
Never heard if it, but it sounds like one of those over analyzed theories
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6755|132 and Bush

pirana6 wrote:

Just my 2 pence.
Mine too.. my bench is around 315.. Two +150 lb dumbells? no way tbh..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6445|Washington St.
anybody have any input on decline press? I know it was just mentioned as it works lower pecs but I've read in a lot of places it's fairly useless and most body-builders completely forget it in their routine because its lack of benefits.

I was thinking about substituting it for flat bench for a month or so... Or should I just add dips? (I've read they are about the same but dips are better for your lower pecs). Or keep flat and just add decline? Substitute flat for decline AND add dips? Fuck everything and eat twinkies and yoohoo?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
As far as bench variations go, there's no substitute for flat.
The reason bodybuilders skip the decline becnh is because it works out the lower part of the pectoral, which, lets face it, you dont want to grow to big (unless you're going for Vin Diesel look-a-like of the year).
But as a regular Joe, isolating a part of you pec won't be that big of a deal, as long as you also do flat/incline.

personally, i prefer flat and incline. I feel like i gain nothing from decline. It feels like less of a work-out for my chest than flat and incline and i have absolutely 0 need to isolate the lower part of my pecs.
If you want to do a variation on flat, do incline. Works the upper part of you pecs (which makes your pecs look bigger and better overall when accompanied with flat bp) and also parts of you delts and shoulders (nice little extra).

I always did flat bp with a bar and incline with DB's, which felt like a pretty solid combo if you ask me.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
elbow is feeling a little better.
I still exercise with nearly 0 weight and lots of reps, but it doesn't hurt while lifting (only at rare occasions) any more so that's good.
The only time i really feel pain is at work (especially after a lifting day) since my work does involve (heavy) lifting and having to hold heavy things.
But pain doesn't quite feel like irritated tissue anymore. More like i hit it against something real hard the day before. I think that's a good thing. It's definitely not a bad sign... so... yeah.. progress!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6755|132 and Bush

pirana6 wrote:

anybody have any input on decline press? I know it was just mentioned as it works lower pecs but I've read in a lot of places it's fairly useless and most body-builders completely forget it in their routine because its lack of benefits.

I was thinking about substituting it for flat bench for a month or so... Or should I just add dips? (I've read they are about the same but dips are better for your lower pecs). Or keep flat and just add decline? Substitute flat for decline AND add dips? Fuck everything and eat twinkies and yoohoo?
I feel dips hit my lower pecs harder than decline presses. I alternate though..
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4997|Amsterdam
Best after-work-snack.
Wholemeal biscuit, slap a nice coat of pb on it, stick another biscuit on top.

BOOM

Bulk oreos.

(reasonably clean, but wouldn't eat it on a cut)
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6445|Washington St.

Kmar wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Maybe I'm doing them wrong but I always feel like dips hit my tri's too much when I'm trying to get my chest. I have the bars pretty far out and my elbows too but I still get mostly tricep work. I think I'm gonna try decline bench press on for size and see how my body likes it.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6565|'Murka

pirana6 wrote:

When I was able to bench press regularly...

I would hit the rotation of regular, incline, and decline, as well as flyes. You hit all pectoral muscle groups, and each complements the other as you build.

On a personal note, my shoulder recovery is moving along. I was able to knock out 70-odd "modified" pushups yesterday. Felt like a gimp doing pushups like that, but I still can't do a normal one...shoulder's too weak. My left side is normal looking, right side has atrophied noticeably. My buddies are giving me shit, telling me that I look like a left-handed guy (I'm right-handed) who's been on the road a lot...
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6755|132 and Bush

pirana6 wrote:

Kmar wrote:

pirana6 wrote:

Maybe I'm doing them wrong but I always feel like dips hit my tri's too much when I'm trying to get my chest. I have the bars pretty far out and my elbows too but I still get mostly tricep work. I think I'm gonna try decline bench press on for size and see how my body likes it.
hmm.. moving wider should hit the pecs harder. weird.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6478|New Haven, CT
My friend told me that dips and pushups both recruit more muscle fibers than flat bench press. Is this true? I'd imagine so, because they are both body weight exercises.

Also, I recently started doing intervals on the treadmill - you know you are pathetically out of shape when running 45 seconds at 12 miles per hour (this is supposed to approximate a 300 meter sprint, though obviously with the slow pace it ends up being a bit less) is pushing it. I really wish I had a track accessible so I could do these properly, but sadly the treadmill will have to suffice.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard