Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5385|London, England

HaiBai wrote:

I decided to take 5 AP classes this semester and now, I simply have no time to pursue my passions, programming and reverse engineering.

HaiBai wrote:

I'm forced to fill in all my free-time with academics.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|5989|Mountains of NC

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

errr.  What do you mean by 'fuck around'?  That's not what I want.  I want time to continue studying programming and reverse engineering because that's what I want to fucking to for the rest of my life.  Those two things are going to get me my paycheck.  Instead, I need to study Hamlet.  That's great and all but literary analysis isn't going to do make my life any better.

It's like trying to tell Mark Zuckerburg to not "fuck around" with starting up Facebook because it had a negative effect on his academics.

im not talking about fucking partying and making sure "i have the best time of my life".  i'm talking about something that will make a difference.
You are 17. Stick your dick into a girl and then come back and tell me you know what you want to do in life and have all the answers.
shut the fuck up.  i know what going to be doing for the rest of my fucking life.  there's nothing else i want to do apart from programming/reverse engineering exceptfor owning my own business.  just because you're in college majoring in a worthless degree that is going to give you a shitty job and where you don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life doesn't mean that applies to everybody.
https://gifsforum.com/images/gif/dis%20gon%20be%20good/grand/dis_gona_be_good_gif.gif
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,443|5006

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You are 17. Stick your dick into a girl and then come back and tell me you know what you want to do in life and have all the answers.
shut the fuck up.  i know what going to be doing for the rest of my fucking life.  there's nothing else i want to do apart from programming/reverse engineering exceptfor owning my own business.  just because you're in college majoring in a worthless degree that is going to give you a shitty job and where you don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life doesn't mean that applies to everybody.
I can't hear you over the sound of doing something I like and enjoying my spare time.

na na na na na na
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Mutantbear wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

I decided to take 5 AP classes this semester and now, I simply have no time to pursue my passions, programming and reverse engineering.

HaiBai wrote:

I'm forced to fill in all my free-time with academics.
because if i want to maximize my chances of getting into the best school possible, i'm forced to take 5 AP classes to compete with all of the other crazy students, regardless of how the things i learn in that class help me later in life.

come on, i know you can put 2 and 2 together on your own
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,410|6162|FUCK UBISOFT

HaiBai wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

I decided to take 5 AP classes this semester and now, I simply have no time to pursue my passions, programming and reverse engineering.

HaiBai wrote:

I'm forced to fill in all my free-time with academics.
because if i want to maximize my chances of getting into the best school possible, i'm forced to take 5 AP classes to compete with all of the other crazy students, regardless of how the things i learn in that class help me later in life.

come on, i know you can put 2 and 2 together on your own
and your polack parientes are going to put you through the best college? What are they going to think when you drop out because it's too much work and it's just like the APs in High School?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137

Macbeth wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

Macbeth wrote:


Ermmmm
China was already far behind the West by the time the Europeans got to it. In everything from weapons to the arts. You can't seriously blame China's stagnation on the Euros at all.
I said rich, as in money wise. China and india was pretty fucking rich, but the brits were just smarter and know how to exploit the situation.
High populations and nice caches of resources. I know. You would think with all that "focus on education" and shit you are talking up about Asians those groups of people wouldn't get "outsmarted" by the English...

Do you see how dumb your argument is?

"In China and India they focus on education and stuff. They are also really rich places. They were only assbackwards because the British outsmarted them and stuck their cocks into the countries ass. How really rich areas got assraped and outsmarted despite their educational values I dunno lol"

For fuck sake
you do realize just because china is highly focused on education doesn't necessarily mean it has a highly productive or innovative society right? confucious educational scheme has always been focusing on rote memorization instead of socratic method of questioning.

If you want to know why china had its huge downfall, you can blame their arrogance for being the "middle kingdom" where the world revolves around them and didnt realize or care about the outside world, why do you think China never established colonies when they had the largest navies in the 15th century? its a lot to do with its bureaucratic nature and fear of authority. also opium war kekekekeked the chinese.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Macbeth wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You are 17. Stick your dick into a girl and then come back and tell me you know what you want to do in life and have all the answers.
shut the fuck up.  i know what going to be doing for the rest of my fucking life.  there's nothing else i want to do apart from programming/reverse engineering exceptfor owning my own business.  just because you're in college majoring in a worthless degree that is going to give you a shitty job and where you don't know what the fuck you're doing with your life doesn't mean that applies to everybody.
I can't hear you over the sound of doing something I like and enjoying my spare time.

na na na na na na
lol?  you tell me to stop crying about not having time while you just admitted to spending your time on worthless shit? cool.

you see, the difference is that the thing that i enjoy doing is the same thing that will help me get a better job.

i took 5 AP classes because it sounds good for college, not because i'm going to learn something useful in those classes.  that's the whole point of this article.  education is encouraging students to fill up every single moment of their spare time with AP classes because it looks good, leaving no time for the student to explore his own passions that will actually help him become a better programmer (in my case)

read this part of the article:

Reading back through the comments on hackernews, I noticed a recurring theme. Hackers would bring up anecdotes of playing around with BBC Micros in their spare time, learning C in their spare time or building basic command-line games in their spare time. Most of the best developers I know are products of tinkering with technology when they had a minute, but in an educational ecosystem which squeezes every last drop of energy and free time from students, where do they find the time to explore their own interests? We force so much structured work onto our young people that they loose all opportunity to take part in the arguably more important "unstructured work", the tinkering and hacking that once made us the leaders of the industrial world.
if some people decided they should stay 100% focused on academics because it looked good, we would be missing out on huge things in today's world, including Microsoft, Apple, and Facebook.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137
microsoft and facebook are big today because gates and zuckerberg were good businessmen, not that college is shit.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Miggle wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

I decided to take 5 AP classes this semester and now, I simply have no time to pursue my passions, programming and reverse engineering.
because if i want to maximize my chances of getting into the best school possible, i'm forced to take 5 AP classes to compete with all of the other crazy students, regardless of how the things i learn in that class help me later in life.

come on, i know you can put 2 and 2 together on your own
and your polack parientes are going to put you through the best college? What are they going to think when you drop out because it's too much work and it's just like the APs in High School?
lol.  why would i drop out?  i have straight A's at the moment, along with a 4.7 gpa.  i can handle AP classes, i just have no time to pursue my passion
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137

HaiBai wrote:

Miggle wrote:

HaiBai wrote:


because if i want to maximize my chances of getting into the best school possible, i'm forced to take 5 AP classes to compete with all of the other crazy students, regardless of how the things i learn in that class help me later in life.

come on, i know you can put 2 and 2 together on your own
and your polack parientes are going to put you through the best college? What are they going to think when you drop out because it's too much work and it's just like the APs in High School?
lol.  why would i drop out?  i have straight A's at the moment, along with a 4.7 gpa.  i can handle AP classes, i just have no time to pursue my passion
Im betting youre gonna burn out pretty quick in uni.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Cybargs wrote:

microsoft and facebook are big today because gates and zuckerberg were good businessmen, not that college is shit.
yeah, but if bill gates and mark zuckerberg decided to stay focused on academics rather then spending time on their passion, where exactly would they be today?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137

HaiBai wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

microsoft and facebook are big today because gates and zuckerberg were good businessmen, not that college is shit.
yeah, but if bill gates and mark zuckerberg decided to stay focused on academics rather then spending time on their passion, where exactly would they be today?
theyre exceptions rather than the rule. for every succesful college dropout theres hundreds of failed ones. if you have the opportunity than take it, you can always go back to college
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5385|London, England

HaiBai wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

microsoft and facebook are big today because gates and zuckerberg were good businessmen, not that college is shit.
yeah, but if bill gates and mark zuckerberg decided to stay focused on academics rather then spending time on their passion, where exactly would they be today?
where are you going then?

Last edited by Mutantbear (2011-11-16 21:52:06)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Cybargs wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Miggle wrote:


and your polack parientes are going to put you through the best college? What are they going to think when you drop out because it's too much work and it's just like the APs in High School?
lol.  why would i drop out?  i have straight A's at the moment, along with a 4.7 gpa.  i can handle AP classes, i just have no time to pursue my passion
Im betting youre gonna burn out pretty quick in uni.
maybe, but i can't see it being that much harder than my life right now.  if it is, i'll adapt.

besides, everyone always says that.

8th grader to 7th grader: "8th grade is sooo much harder"
junior to sophomore: "junior year is so much harder man, we have the ACT!!"
senior to junior: "are you kidding?  we have college apps t worry about."
college undergrad to senior: "you're gonna have so much work in uni.  you're probably gonna burn out"

and this continues all the way to the top of the food chain
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137
im saying you'll burn out because you're taking 5 APs this semester. I know so many kids that busted their ass in high school and burn out in uni
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Macbeth
Banned
+2,443|5006

Cybargs wrote:

im saying you'll burn out because you're taking 5 APs this semester. I know so many kids that busted their ass in high school and burn out in uni
A fuck can only be given for so long
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|5831|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

Life, as with all of human history, is largely a study on suffering. Why should our education system be designed in a way to also make people feel satisfied with their lives when the world doesn't give a shit about their satisfaction?

His whole rant was in the same vein of "everyone is a winner. you are all special. everyone gets a sticker/trophy/medal". What a bunch of shit.
https://i.imgur.com/NUeO2.jpg

cybargs wrote:

im saying you'll burn out because you're taking 5 APs this semester. I know so many kids that busted their ass in high school and burn out in uni
A friend of mine's kid took several AP classes. He's in his first year of college now. He'll be just short of his JUNIOR YEAR, credit-wise, when he finishes up his first year of college in the spring. So he's on track to get a MS in just over the same amount of time one would normally get a BS. Not a bad deal at all. Kid's thinking about just doing the straight-to-PhD program.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,786|5526|eXtreme to the maX
We need to refocus out energies not on producing the most highly-qualified generation in history, but the most highly skilled and highly satisfied. Only then can we really start to change the world.
We have the most qualified and least skilled generation ever.

Writing an app is not skilled, designing a microchip is.

My degree consisted of two weeks a year of intensive exams. The whole year of study had to be remembered at one time. For finals the entire three years had to be remembered.

My sisters recent degree was entirely modular and either coursework done at home or exams which were mostly multiple choice

Kids today expect to walk into management roles because they've been told endlessly how awesome and talented they are while they've never really been challenged.
At the same time we have graduates soldering components onto circuit boards and minding glue dispensers where I work.

Looks like another lost generation, and I can't see it getting a lot better. Maybe the smarter ones will go back to trades training.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,277|6137

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Life, as with all of human history, is largely a study on suffering. Why should our education system be designed in a way to also make people feel satisfied with their lives when the world doesn't give a shit about their satisfaction?

His whole rant was in the same vein of "everyone is a winner. you are all special. everyone gets a sticker/trophy/medal". What a bunch of shit.


cybargs wrote:

im saying you'll burn out because you're taking 5 APs this semester. I know so many kids that busted their ass in high school and burn out in uni
A friend of mine's kid took several AP classes. He's in his first year of college now. He'll be just short of his JUNIOR YEAR, credit-wise, when he finishes up his first year of college in the spring. So he's on track to get a MS in just over the same amount of time one would normally get a BS. Not a bad deal at all. Kid's thinking about just doing the straight-to-PhD program.
damn man thats a good thing. not a lot of kids could take on that pressure and not burn out. i just feel bad for my friend whos burning out at uni right now, she busted her ass so much in high school.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|4778|London, England

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You don't have time to fuck around because of your AP classes? You poor thing. My heart breaks for you.

"It's just that to maximize my changes of getting into a good college, I'm forced to fill in all my free-time with academics.  When am I supposed to develop the skills that are truly important to me?"
Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? I want to get into a good college and get a good job ( because the two totally go hand in hand) but I don't want to bust my ass to do it. I also don't want to miss ""the best time of my life" in college while also getting great grades and a dream job.






Totally not delusional
errr.  What do you mean by 'fuck around'?  That's not what I want.  I want time to continue studying programming and reverse engineering because that's what I want to fucking to for the rest of my life.  Those two things are going to get me my paycheck.  Instead, I need to study Hamlet.  That's great and all but literary analysis isn't going to do make my life any better.

It's like trying to tell Mark Zuckerburg to not "fuck around" with starting up Facebook because it had a negative effect on his academics.

im not talking about fucking partying and making sure "i have the best time of my life".  i'm talking about something that will make a difference.
How is copying someone elses work making a difference? You think you will make money in 'reverse engineering'? Ok, if you ignore every single patent law on the books. Who's going to pay you? Your hacker friends? Pshh.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Chardee MacDennis
Green Man
+130|3975|Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I am confused by this thread.
What is your Spaghetti Policy Here?

What A Long Strange Trip It's Been
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Cybargs wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

microsoft and facebook are big today because gates and zuckerberg were good businessmen, not that college is shit.
yeah, but if bill gates and mark zuckerberg decided to stay focused on academics rather then spending time on their passion, where exactly would they be today?
theyre exceptions rather than the rule. for every succesful college dropout theres hundreds of failed ones. if you have the opportunity than take it, you can always go back to college
true, but at the same time, i'm inclined to think that these failed startups were still helpful learning experiences for their futures.  it's something that can help them during the next startup they attempt, and it's simply not something academics can teach you because you need to experience it for youself.

Cybargs wrote:

im saying you'll burn out because you're taking 5 APs this semester. I know so many kids that busted their ass in high school and burn out in uni
maybe...  one thing that might separate me from the others is that nobody's forcing me or really even pressuring me to do well in school.  i know a lot of kids at my school who are forced to do well in school by their parents.  my parents let me do what i want.  i guess they want me to learn from my own mistakes and to make my own decisions.  i averaged about a 2.7 gpa during freshman and sophomore year, and i grew tired of being a lazy student and i changed my entire life around.  i think i have an advantage over the kids who's parents always controlled every aspect of their life.

but still...  it's hard to tell.  i guess i'll just have to go out and see for myself

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You don't have time to fuck around because of your AP classes? You poor thing. My heart breaks for you.


Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? I want to get into a good college and get a good job ( because the two totally go hand in hand) but I don't want to bust my ass to do it. I also don't want to miss ""the best time of my life" in college while also getting great grades and a dream job.






Totally not delusional
errr.  What do you mean by 'fuck around'?  That's not what I want.  I want time to continue studying programming and reverse engineering because that's what I want to fucking to for the rest of my life.  Those two things are going to get me my paycheck.  Instead, I need to study Hamlet.  That's great and all but literary analysis isn't going to do make my life any better.

It's like trying to tell Mark Zuckerburg to not "fuck around" with starting up Facebook because it had a negative effect on his academics.

im not talking about fucking partying and making sure "i have the best time of my life".  i'm talking about something that will make a difference.
How is copying someone elses work making a difference? You think you will make money in 'reverse engineering'? Ok, if you ignore every single patent law on the books. Who's going to pay you? Your hacker friends? Pshh.
i don't think you understand what reverse engineering is.

first of all, reverse engineering is completely legal.  second of all, there's no point in reverse engineering something that's patented because something that's patented requires a public disclosure of the invention.

anyway, i don't care about the above because that's not what i plan on doing.  reverse engineers are helpful because they can help with security.  i'm not only talking about protecting computers from viruses and trojans, but i'm also talking about how companies try to prevent their software from being cracked and reverse engineered by other reverse engineers.

who do you think creates anti-virus software?  what about the people who work on punkbuster and VAC?  how about themida, armadillo, and other packers/protectors that are specifically made to prevent people from reverse engineering programs?  who designs the anti-crack protections on photoshop?

if you think nobody's going to pay me for the above, you don't know what you're talking about
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6074
It's true that some kids are pushed too hard. You should be able to have some fun in your teens, not be a slave to academia.

You have to have balance in all things. School is especially the case. I seem to remember that HaiBai fucked off for a lot of freshman and sophomore years (and junior?), only to turn it around at the end, which probably meant doing more than would typically be expected in the final semesters to make up for the slow start. That would explain why he related to the article.

If you push yourself too hard in highschool, it's easy to get burnt out, and that makes it hard to even find the motivation to do all that. The smartest kid from my highschool (his physician father made him read the dictionary every night, which should tell you everything you need to know) dropped out of Harvard and became a bartender. You have to have fun when you're young, because it's really, really fleeting.

But you can have a girlfriend, work part time, and be a full time college student and still have a little bit of time for hobbies. You will be more well-rounded if you do. A lot of that can come through in interview processes when you look for work, post-graduate programs, etc...a very smart, well-rounded 3.0-3.5 GPA student is infinitely more valuable in almost every job sector, compared to some shut-in 4.0 GPA kid with an eidetic memory.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|4904|Bolingbrook, Illinois
was just googling about the reverse engineering career.  look what i found:

http://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Reverse+En … 4130%2C000

for example: ffs, i have half of the requirements to apply for this job:

http://www.sologig.com/INTL/JobSeeker/J … NDEEDORGSG

You MUST have for this position:

-3 years minimum experience in the following areas:
-Experience working with debuggers and disassemblers
-Experience developing code in x86 and x86_64 assembly0 (sort of, but i'm not competent enough. yet.)
-Experience developing code in C for Windows and Linux
-Experience with PE file formats
-B.S. Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or related discipline
-Top Secret, Security Clearance with Full Scope Polygraph

Preferred for the position:

-Experience with malware analysis
-Experience with vulnerability analysis
-Experience with cryptographic systems (sort of, but i doubt i know enough to meet their requirements)
-Familiarity with binary obfuscation techniques such as packers
i mean, they're paying 100k-150k for that.  i'd love to be able to sit at my computer and reverse engineer programs all day.  it's my dream job

Last edited by HaiBai (2011-11-17 16:00:06)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,953|6052|949

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

You don't have time to fuck around because of your AP classes? You poor thing. My heart breaks for you.


Why can't I have my cake and eat it too? I want to get into a good college and get a good job ( because the two totally go hand in hand) but I don't want to bust my ass to do it. I also don't want to miss ""the best time of my life" in college while also getting great grades and a dream job.






Totally not delusional
errr.  What do you mean by 'fuck around'?  That's not what I want.  I want time to continue studying programming and reverse engineering because that's what I want to fucking to for the rest of my life.  Those two things are going to get me my paycheck.  Instead, I need to study Hamlet.  That's great and all but literary analysis isn't going to do make my life any better.

It's like trying to tell Mark Zuckerburg to not "fuck around" with starting up Facebook because it had a negative effect on his academics.

im not talking about fucking partying and making sure "i have the best time of my life".  i'm talking about something that will make a difference.
How is copying someone elses work making a difference? You think you will make money in 'reverse engineering'? Ok, if you ignore every single patent law on the books. Who's going to pay you? Your hacker friends? Pshh.
'that's illegal!' has never stopped anyone in the business world. All you have to do us look at all th patent lawsuits flying around these days to understand yes, you can make a lot of money reverse engineering products.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2022 Jeff Minard