HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5492|Bolingbrook, Illinois
i really wouldn't care at all if it wasn't for this part:
EA can identify your computer, operating system, installed/uninstalled software/hardware, and use that information for marketing purposes while merrily sharing it with third party companies
sorry, but letting ea scan my entire computer so it can procede to sell my information to random advertising companies is too much
jmsprovan
+18|5820|Alba

HaiBai wrote:

EA can identify your computer, operating system, installed/uninstalled software/hardware, and use that information for marketing purposes while merrily sharing it with third party companies
sorry, but letting ea scan my entire computer so it can procede to sell my information to random advertising companies is too much
Well the wording of the EULA rules that out

"We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you."
Collecting for targeted advertising would be pretty useless if they didn't know who you are.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6631|Little Bentcock

HaiBai wrote:

Wheres my tin hat!?
Did you even read the EULA yourself or are you just spouting off what other paranoid people have said? Who also probably havent read it..
BVC
+325|6704
If this EULA had been well-known before pre-orders opened, would sales of the game have been as high?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6745|Oxferd Ohire
prolly. vocal minority. many dont care
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6294|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Pubic wrote:

If this EULA had been well-known before pre-orders opened, would sales of the game have been as high?
12 year olds don't care about such things, they just want their tacticool shooter :3

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-11-01 20:55:31)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6745|Oxferd Ohire
and people who arent paranoid
Adams_BJ

Pubic wrote:

Yes. If people actually took the time to read and understand it they'd realise there is no threat to.. Well anything.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5492|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Adams_BJ wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Wheres my tin hat!?
Did you even read the EULA yourself or are you just spouting off what other paranoid people have said? Who also probably havent read it..
why would i read the EULA?  i don't even own the game, i'm going off of the article
Adams_BJ

HaiBai wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Wheres my tin hat!?
why would i read the EULA?  i don't even own the game, i'm going off of the article
Well the article is misinformed.
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6352
Well according to RPS EA revised the EULA a few weeks ago, because it conflicted with state law in some countries. In it´s current form, it allegedly is against German state law, according to Eurogamer.
No matter how deep the scanning and data collecting might be, I still feel a bit ...pimped out. We are becoming the product.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6352
So, I just fired Origin up since a few weeks and it updated and shortly after auto-detected Bad Company 2 on my machine, which did not show up during the Bf3 Beta. It definately scans for EA products
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
jsnipy
+3,276|6531|...

Third party can mean CDN's and edge platforms.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6690|Disaster Free Zone

Shem wrote:

eusgen wrote:

Shem wrote:

if you pirate they risk going out of business
wut
Ive alot of friends working in the game industry, and I've known quite a few who have been laid off and worry about their jobs tbh
make better games.
I'm Jamesey
Do a Research Noob
+506|6141|Scotland!

DrunkFace wrote:

Shem wrote:

eusgen wrote:

wut
Ive alot of friends working in the game industry, and I've known quite a few who have been laid off and worry about their jobs tbh
make better games.
this
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6667|BC, Canada

I'm Jamesey wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Shem wrote:

make better games.
this
Doesnt matter, at EA they work their ass off for 9 months then get laid off till production starts on the next game...
thepilot91
+64|6244|Åland!
maybe a little bit OT: but I can seem to be able to start bf3 with steam running
globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6332|Graz, Austria

thepilot91 wrote:

maybe a little bit OT: but I can seem to be able to start bf3 with steam running
Yes, why should that not work?
EA/Origin doesn't restrict you from running its competitor's digital download platfrom, does it?

The question is, can you run BF3 with Steam instead of Origin?
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6448|Brisbane, Australia

-Whiteroom- wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

make better games.
this
Doesnt matter, at EA they work their ass off for 9 months then get laid off till production starts on the next game...
Yeh it isnt a game quality thing, its just the games industry. You are crazy or an idiot if you want to get into the games industry for your career.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
FloppY_
­
EA bought and shut down most of the good developers in the 90s
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6741|Cambridge, England

Sisco wrote:

Well according to RPS EA revised the EULA a few weeks ago, because it conflicted with state law in some countries. In it´s current form, it allegedly is against German state law, according to Eurogamer.
No matter how deep the scanning and data collecting might be, I still feel a bit ...pimped out. We are becoming the product.
>State law in some countries
>State law countries
>State countries
FloppY_
­

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Sisco wrote:

>State law in some countries
>State law countries
>State countries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_%28polity%29
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6745|Oxferd Ohire
US state law sounds silly to you also then
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6741|Cambridge, England
At the very best it is a redundant word. German state law is just German law. Meh.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6640|949

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

-Whiteroom- wrote:

I'm Jamesey wrote:

this
Yeh it isnt a game quality thing, its just the games industry. You are crazy or an idiot if you want to get into the games industry for your career.
its the creative content industry.  It's fairly standard for game development, movies, advertising.  You actually go to a company like EA if you want to be employed year-round.  Most smaller studios can't afford to keep an operation running year round

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard