-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
I was playing some Op Metro and Tehran Highway today. These two guys managed to completely stop the entire enemy team from advancing. It was impossible to go anywhere or even stop for a few moments when moving from cover to cover.  If you fired off a few rounds from behind cover, then ducked to reload or heal you were dead. Two guys managed to deny everybody cover. It's so freaking annoying, something has to be done, they need limited ammo or something because it's just ridiculous. They were just sitting there 2 yards apart from each other spamming like there's no tomorrow.

I guess the only way to counter mortars is with mortars or if they're in the open maybe a few well placed shots.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Sup3r_Dr4gon
Boat sig is not there anymore
+214|6297|Australia

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I was playing some Op Metro and Tehran Highway today. These two guys managed to completely stop the entire enemy team from advancing. It was impossible to go anywhere or even stop for a few moments when moving from cover to cover.  If you fired off a few rounds from behind cover, then ducked to reload or heal you were dead. Two guys managed to deny everybody cover. It's so freaking annoying, something has to be done, they need limited ammo or something because it's just ridiculous. They were just sitting there 2 yards apart from each other spamming like there's no tomorrow.

I guess the only way to counter mortars is with mortars or if they're in the open maybe a few well placed shots.
Every time they fire it, they appear on the map as a distinctive mortar shell. Go mortars yourself, line them up on the map and kill them both. Unless their crosshair is right near you when you fire, they won't have time to line you up themselves.
Of course, if you don't have mortars yourself, you're pretty much screwed. I had no idea what to do against them until I unlocked them myself.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
I feel powerless. I see no point in support or recon. I always use medic or engineer. I usually just pick up an enemy kit if I need ammo, and sniping is pointless for me without a mouse.

I've only gotten to the 249 on support tree. Doubt I'll go further, but now I feel forced.
UK|Hooligan
Seriously, fuck off.
+103|6658|"The Empire"
Put a silencer on your gun, you don't show up on enemy radar. They also have limited distance and show up on the map where they are, then kill them.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

I just unlocked the mortar. Only tried it once so far. Placed it in what I thought was a safe place, aimed, fired, hit the façade of a building and brought it down on top of my head. Fail. Might try it again some time. Will definitely like using it for counter-mortaring, getting bastards like that Adams_BJ guy.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6409|Brisbane, Australia

-Sh1fty- wrote:

This is completely retarded, two mortars cannot lock down a team. They are only effective on people standing still.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5006|Massachusetts, USA

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

This is completely retarded, two mortars cannot lock down a team. They are only effective on people standing still.
I'm giving him some benefit of doubt, since he is playing on xbox. 90% of XBOX players are retarded.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Mortars are annoying, mostly if you're a lower rank, but still manageable. You just need a few unlocks and also not be a dumbass.
thepilot91
+64|6206|Åland!
yeah the unlimeted ammo is a terrible mistake , wasn't it limited in the beta?
give them like 3-4 rounds or something...
and also I think atleast the tank and apc's main weapons should have limited ammo , support has not much of a "ammo" role in bf3 exept giving ammo to the nadespammers and themselves
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5723|Roma

FFLink wrote:

Mortars are annoying, mostly if you're a lower rank, but still manageable. You just need a few unlocks and also not be a dumbass.
keep moving and the mortars won't stop you.
They need to fall dead on top of your head to kill you.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
There's never a support guy around giving ammo when you need one.

Engineer's need them a lot, mainly for Rush defense maps.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6593|EU

As said above, counter mortar with mortar, most times they give up when you kill them 2-3 times. Just be sure to move after you fire several shots, so they don't notice your position.

Also, mortars are effective only at camping infantry and vehicles, otherwise there is only a little damage assistance. So it kinda motivates you to push forward. It has almost no splash damage, so the hit must be a direct one to get a kill (which is hard to estimate where to fire when someone is moving - shell travels a couple of seconds)

And I like to have unlimited ammo in vehicles, mostly in AA (in BF2 you shot 2 times your rockets at jet and you were doomed if not playing a support, which was a disadvantage when repairs were needed)
thepilot91
+64|6206|Åland!
did not mention AA's but would be nice to see a limit on those PUSHING aa-bullets... fucking redicoulus

and yeah mortars only kill when spot on but :
1: Hardcore...?
2: trying to cap a flag...

eventho you won't get killed most of the times it's annoying as fuck...but AA's are still worse..

Last edited by thepilot91 (2011-11-07 09:18:33)

Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438

thepilot91 wrote:

support has not much of a "ammo" role in bf3 exept giving ammo to the nadespammers and themselves
Just like in BF2!

I wouldn't say mortars are OP, the shell needs to literately land exactly fucking on top of you to get a one-hit kill. But they're just cheap. You can sit in the spawn and just spam the shit out of the flags on Bazaar and Seine and rake in kill assists without putting yourself at any risk. I'll be fine with mortars if they make it so that you can't deploy them while in the main base.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
ITT shifty is a fucking noob
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

TimmmmaaaaH wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

You often get stuck behind cover firing at multiple enemies, and during thsoe few seconds it takes to engage them, you get a mortar on your head. You can't be running constantly, you have to stop to engage targets, reload, heal, etc.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
shifty 2 mortars cannot hold down an entire map. the fire rate isn't high enough. learn to play.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Uzique wrote:

shifty 2 mortars cannot hold down an entire map. the fire rate isn't high enough. learn to play.
He forgot to mention teammates holding the line at the chokepoints, especially on Bazaar.  Mortar assist and kills aplenty.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

Uzique wrote:

Have you played the first section of Metro? You have to stop behind boulders and cement barricades to pick off the guys camping the front line with LMGs and sniper rifles. You can't just run at them guns blazing praying for a hip-fire headshot. You have to stop behind that rock, that barricade, that tree, etc. and kill the guys shooting at you. Meanwhile, you have two guys firing mortars incessantly at every little red dot they see. So lets say you took some fire, kill a guy shooting at you, then duck because two other people start shooting at you, a mortar lands on your head because you stopped moving for three seconds.

If you think it's impossible, you obviously don't know what you're talking about, and have never experienced two scums going mortar crazy.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
Mortars on the enemy team aren't the problem, mortar guys on my team are the problem.

Last edited by jord (2011-11-07 11:34:52)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Have you played the first section of Metro? You have to stop behind boulders and cement barricades to pick off the guys camping the front line with LMGs and sniper rifles. You can't just run at them guns blazing praying for a hip-fire headshot. You have to stop behind that rock, that barricade, that tree, etc. and kill the guys shooting at you. Meanwhile, you have two guys firing mortars incessantly at every little red dot they see. So lets say you took some fire, kill a guy shooting at you, then duck because two other people start shooting at you, a mortar lands on your head because you stopped moving for three seconds.

If you think it's impossible, you obviously don't know what you're talking about, and have never experienced two scums going mortar crazy.
shifty i've played this game more than you and i'm 100x better than you

you don't know what you're talking about, i'm afraid
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
it sounds to me like a l2p issue
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Uzique has obviously never crossed a competent mortar team. Are you telling me you NEVER stop advancing to take guys out? You're always running forwards until you die? You never face more than one person, you never need to duck for cover to heal/reload?

You're so full of shit I smell you all the way over here.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5934|London, England

Mortar scum
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
no i have never crossed a "competent mortar team". you know why? BECAUSE THEY'RE STOOD STILL AT THE BACK OF THE MAP. there are 101 ways to get around to killing them and ending their shitty little barrage; or, failing that (in the case of rush), you can just go mortar yourself and play point-and-click-adventure-games with their pretty little mortar icons on the map. then they're dead and gone, and you can advance. SUPER TUFF HI SKILL TACTICOOL PLAY, TROOPER!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard