MECtallica
+73|6475|jalalabad
I've had my ATI 4890 (Here - www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Ite … 6814102848) since late 2009, and it's been strong since a few months ago problems started showing.

-Namely the temperatures can reach insane heights (ive seen it hit like 85C+) this only occurs when fan speed isnt at 90-100% and load is max
-Auto fan control died or something, it never works anymore without setting manual through catalyst
-Trying to play any 3D/openGL game after returning from standby restarts/crashes my computer almost 95% of the time
-Studdering occurs in some games that was never there before, intermittent, not often enough to be a huge problem

-Not sure if this is card related or the fact im still on XP, but the card won't run or be recognized by any catalyst drivers past 11.5 (openGL doesn't run, no memory is recognized in dxdiag, it boots, display desktop but no 3D, and the desktop scrolls/anything scrolls/loads at a snails pace, like in fragments like its on horrible onboard when it's not, P5Q PRO mobo) Googling hasn't fixed this specific driver issue as no one seems to have it and those that do just get told to use win7/vista

I'm pretty sure I just self-diagnosed it but are there any fixes possibly?
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5875|CA
If anything, replace it/RMA it due to the fan problem - that sounds like a serious issue.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6257|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Have you tried cleaning the heatsink?

From my experience the GPU heatsink is THE biggest collector of dust and other crap in your PC and it's hard to see and clean unless you remove the shell most GPU's come with these days...

Compressed air and tweezers can work wonders...

Sounds like it's something more serious, but it couldn't hurt to try cleaning it before RMA'ing

Last edited by FloppY_ (2011-11-06 12:54:49)

­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard