Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248
So I just built myself a new compy over the weekend and I've come to notice a buzzing sound in the background whenever I play games. At first, I thought it might just be crappy coding on EA's part (since I really noticed it in BF3), but said noise is also present when I play TF2 or L4D2. I'm beginning to think that it's my onboard sound card, but I'm really not sure.

Specs:
Intel Core i5 2500k running @3.3GHz
ASUS P8P67 LE mobo
EVGA GTX570 HD
Corsair Vengeance RAM (8GB)
OCZ 700W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Anyone have any solutions...?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
So are your headphones plugged into the motherboard output or case output?
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Motherboard output
Defiance
+438|6641

Swissy201 wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Motherboard output
Most likely EMI then, I've gotten it from every onboard sound setup I've ever heard. Turn the volume up when there's no game or music playing and see if you still hear the buzzing.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
it could be the headphones. i got a new pair and when i plugged them into my laptop there was a lot of buzzing while any other ones ive used have been fine.
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248

RTHKI wrote:

it could be the headphones. i got a new pair and when i plugged them into my laptop there was a lot of buzzing while any other ones ive used have been fine.
I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's. I -highly- doubt it's the headphones...
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248

Swissy201 wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

I've got a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's. I -highly- doubt it's the headphones...
And I'm wrong. Just tested them against another set of headphones - no buzz in the others. Is this a design flaw or should I RMA the Sennhesier set?
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya

Swissy201 wrote:

Swissy201 wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

And I'm wrong. Just tested them against another set of headphones - no buzz in the others. Is this a design flaw or should I RMA the Sennhesier set?
Are you getting buzzing sounds when you plug the headphones into anything else (eg other computer, ipod etc)
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Swissy201 wrote:

Swissy201 wrote:

Are you getting buzzing sounds when you plug the headphones into anything else (eg other computer, ipod etc)
Tried my Zune and my laptop - no buzz.
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248
Buzzing is also present when I run my computer sound through my stereo system (I don't have any desktop speakers).
Jean_Peste_tu?
Yes I Do
+44|6590|Auteuil, Laval
Never know if it coule be the same thing but I had a similar problem.
The cable of my MP3 player broked and I went to buy a sturdier one. 
When I pluged it in I had a buzzzing sound and one of the chanel (Right one) had a lower output signal.
I realized that when it was NOT fully pushed in the signal was just fine and the levels of both chanels were correct. 
I think its maybe a bad ground thingy.  Try to pull the plug just a bit to see if it works fine.

My 2 cents.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6687|Riva, MD
Not sure if it matters but do you have the sound options in Windows set to headphones and not 2/2.1 speakers?
Swissy201
That guy
+12|6248
Tried that in-game and it didn't make a difference. I'm beginning to think it's EMI from the GFX card, since it's louder in some games than in others, and it's only present when I'm in-game.
twoblacklines
all grown up now (its boring)
+49|6177
I have tons of EMI too, using motherboard 3.5" output to 2.1 speakers. Just something you have to put up with, unless you buy a DAC (awesome btw).

I used a Beresford DAC with digital coaxial out from the motherboard, problem solved and sounded lovely! £110 ish IIRC

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard