Poll

Do you think IRNV scopes are overpowered?

Yes50%50% - 25
No50%50% - 25
Total: 50
Roc18
`
+655|5761|PROLLLY PROLLLY PROLLLY
I keep seeing this discussion popping up around forums. What do you think of this scope? is it OP or not?
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6561|Your attic
Of course they are and I shall continue using them until they get nerfed.
Roc18
`
>1x Zoom
>Have to hold shift to remove sway
>limited FOV
>Not as effective at long range compared to other scopes

I don't think they're OP. They're no different from the tank's thermal radar.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California

Towelly wrote:

haha same here

I freaking LOVE the IRNV scopes. I feel like I'm cheating when I use them, just shoot whatever's orange, you can't miss 'em.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

Towelly wrote:

yep. enjoy em while you can.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Towelly
It's A State Of Mind
+399|6561|Your attic

Roc18 wrote:

>1x Zoom
>Have to hold shift to remove sway
>limited FOV
>Not as effective at long range compared to other scopes

I don't think they're OP. They're no different from the tank's thermal radar.
Before I used the IRNV I either used the ironsights, an RDS or a HOLO on all weapons so the zoom is something I'm fine with and in fact prefer. I barely notice the sway, in fact it took me maybe an hour before I even ran into a situation where I noticed it, though maybe I would have twigged on a bit quicker if I was playing infantry on the bigger maps, on the urban maps it's a non-issue.

The FoV I'll agree is lacking compared to what I was used to before but is made up for by the fact that the actual aiming dot is so small and clean that you get better view of what's around your target.

However any faults with it pale into insignificance when you see three enemies in a bush lighting it up like a Christmas tree.

Last edited by Towelly (2011-11-01 08:25:21)

Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK
Basically im not going to use anything but the IRNV. That is how good it is.
Roc18
`
It will get nerfed.

In past Battlefield games I wouldn't even need to use something like the IRNV because it was so much easier to see everything without the BS lighting and bloom effects we see in BF3.

Last edited by Roc18 (2011-11-01 08:40:15)

Ryan
+1,230|6813|Alberta, Canada

Depends what your definition of overpowered is. I think if you know how to use it properly, the player using it may seem "overpowered" when compared to others. But in general, it's just a scope that lets you detect enemies via IR, so it's not really overpowered.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
using it properly? any dunce can pick up an ir scope and rape face
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5935|London, England

the way you use it properly is by using it

if you can get that part down then it is op
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
eusgen
Nugget
+402|6762|Jupiter

Lucien wrote:

using it properly? any dunce can pick up an ir scope and rape face
You are all fucking idiots and have probably never even used the IR scope in BF3.

Reasons why the IR scope is NOT overpowered:
1. Only 1x zoom (big fucking whoop kiddies)
2. When you fire the gun the "gas" (or gunpowderwhatthefuckever) pretty much blocks your view of the "dot" crosshair with a little poof of smoke right on crosshair making it very difficult to see what you are shooting at.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
I use nothing but IR scopes. They are full-on ezmode. only 1x zoom? who uses zoom scopes in the first place?

And there is no view-blocking 'gas', at least not with any of the guns I've used
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
duk0r
Administrator
+306|6638|Austin, TX

The scope certainly makes it easier to pick out an enemy over all the 1x scopes, that's for sure.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/a3a6d1102d14bf2f7e266fba7f728dc2cc38b316.png
Roc18
`
I wouldn't touch this scope in Battlefield 2. I only use this scope because of the crappy lighting and design on Battlefield 3.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

I don't get killed by them all that often, tbh. And you can't see through smoke and dust with them. Far from OP.
legionair
back to i-life
+336|6593|EU

answer is no

if it gets nerfed I know who to blame now
Brasso
+1,549|6600

i think if the real game is anything like the beta, scopeless sniper rifles are still the best gun in the game
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Brasso wrote:

i think if the real game is anything like the beta, scopeless sniper rifles are still the best gun in the game
They nerfed the damage.  What took 1-2 shots now takes 2-4 shots.  They generally suck unscoped now. 
jmsprovan
+18|5782|Alba
Its not hugely OP, but I think it should be made the final gun unlock for all of them.

It would make sense that as you progress through the unlocks they get better but :DICE:
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

jmsprovan wrote:

Its not hugely OP, but I think it should be made the final gun unlock for all of them.

It would make sense that as you progress through the unlocks they get better but :DICE:
It would be better if there were no unlocks at all
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Brasso
+1,549|6600

Ilocano wrote:

Brasso wrote:

They nerfed the damage.  What took 1-2 shots now takes 2-4 shots.  They generally suck unscoped now. 
that's it, i'm not buying it
"people in ny have a general idea of how to drive. one of the pedals goes forward the other one prevents you from dying"
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6623
Flashlight is more annoying to me. 

Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems to fuck with your bullet deviation when firing, on top of being blindingly bright up close...

This leads to amazing circumstances such as:
People being so far away the light looks like snipers' lens glare, but for some reason they just seem impossible to hit...
Getting rushed by a taclight, when using NIRV...you don't even see the blinding light, just your bullets apparently disappearing into them...
(again, it could be my imagination...but it felt like that to me in the beta as well...)

At least the concept of having low-light scopes is a decent one.  But whoever thought 100000000000000 candlepower lights as gun attachments, or lens flare that is actually more noticable than the sun in the sky, were good ideas...well, they should go work for the CoD team.

Drop tac lights.

Drop lens glare.

Make IRNV scopes look like nightvision in BF2:Special Forces.

Voila.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6736|UK

Ryan wrote:

Depends what your definition of overpowered is. I think if you know how to use it properly, the player using it may seem "overpowered" when compared to others. But in general, it's just a scope that lets you detect enemies via IR, so it's not really overpowered.
It blocks sun glare, it blocks flashlights, it makes people instantly stick out even if they are hiding at the back of a bush or 1pxl of their head is sticking over a rock.

It is overpowered. And im loving it.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

Flashlight is more annoying to me. 

Maybe I'm imagining things, but it seems to fuck with your bullet deviation when firing, on top of being blindingly bright up close...

This leads to amazing circumstances such as:
People being so far away the light looks like snipers' lens glare, but for some reason they just seem impossible to hit...
Getting rushed by a taclight, when using NIRV...you don't even see the blinding light, just your bullets apparently disappearing into them...
(again, it could be my imagination...but it felt like that to me in the beta as well...)

At least the concept of having low-light scopes is a decent one.  But whoever thought 100000000000000 candlepower lights as gun attachments, or lens flare that is actually more noticable than the sun in the sky, were good ideas...well, they should go work for the CoD team.

Drop tac lights.

Drop lens glare.

Make IRNV scopes look like nightvision in BF2:Special Forces.

Voila.
I think they could keep tac lights and lens flare, just dim them a bit. Especially the flashlight outside.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard