Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6539|Long Island, New York
So, after a meeting with my AFROTC detachment and receiving a sheet with all the fitness standards I need to meet, I know what I need to do. I just need help getting there.

Right now:

I run about a 7 minute mile although I need to boost my stamina to be able to do the full 1.5 mile run in the time slotted:
I do about 48 pushups in a minute
I do about 51 sit ups in a minute

I need to get to:

1.5 miles in 9:12 or less
67 pushups in a minute
58 situps in a minute

I can give or take a few off of each, but those are to get a perfect score. And since I'm a non-tech major, competition is heavy. If I want to get to field training in time, having a great fitness assessment is key. I'd rather not set my goal as the minimum standards. So, basically all I'm doing right now is running 2 and a half miles in the mornings and practicing my pushups and situps once a day. I'm getting a gym membership when I get my paycheck at the end of this week. What are the core things I should be working on in order to achieve my goals? I'd like to be able to achieve my goals within 5 months or so.
Stimey
­
+786|6121|Ontario | Canada
as long as you practice those 5ish days a week there is no reason you shouldnt be able to get to there in5 months

just be sure to push yourself each subsequent workout or you wont advance as quickly as you should

ie 25 pushups monday strive for 26 tuesday etc etc
­
­
­
­
­
­
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5485|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Stimey wrote:

just be sure to push yourself each subsequent workout or you wont advance as quickly as you should

ie 25 pushups monday strive for 26 tuesday etc etc
in other words:

write down everything you do.  write your mile time, pushup amount, and situp amount, and then strive to beat your previous day.

i think the best way to advance in pushups and situps is simply to keep doing them.  you could throw in some other exercises in there, but i don't know how beneficial that'd be.

i know there's extra stuff you can do for running, but again, i think it's unnecessary.  when i was on track, the long distance kids didn't always just run long distances everyday.  they also had other drills where long distance wasn't the target.  but again, you would probably be fine and make lots of progress by simply running everyday as fast as you can.

good luck and thank you for fighting for our freedom
lrishpride
+68|5149
Hey

I've been having some pretty bad muscle/joint pains these days. I've recently started training again in the past 2 weeks and I think my body is going into shock after months of nothing but boozing/partying. Want to get it all sorted before Army selection in December/January. I've got muscle pain in my mid back after heavy lifts, ligament/bone pain in my left shoulder (feels like a rotary cuff injury), bad knees after running on hard surfaces over lengthy periods and finally a swollen ankle that has been that way for 3 months now (it's twice the size of my other ankle and it's movement is limited and painful, have to wear an ankle support at all times).

Need to get all this sorted, going to see the physio tomorrow and see what magic she can work. Whats the best oils/supplements to be taking to ease joint pain? Also, would there be any particular reason why my ankle hasn't repaired fully after a bad sprain?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by lrishpride (2011-10-25 11:53:12)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

lrishpride
+68|5149

13urnzz wrote:

?
Sturgeon
+488|4942|Flintshire

lrishpride wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

?
click quote again and see what he really wrote

prolly
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6498

heh, i doesn't filter in karma . . .
lrishpride
+68|5149
ehhh... whatever floats your boat
lrishpride
+68|5149

lrishpride wrote:

Hey

I've been having some pretty bad muscle/joint pains these days. I've recently started training again in the past 2 weeks and I think my body is going into shock after months of nothing but boozing/partying. Want to get it all sorted before Army selection in December/January. I've got muscle pain in my mid back after heavy lifts, ligament/bone pain in my left shoulder (feels like a rotary cuff injury), bad knees after running on hard surfaces over lengthy periods and finally a swollen ankle that has been that way for 3 months now (it's twice the size of my other ankle and it's movement is limited and painful, have to wear an ankle support at all times).

Need to get all this sorted, going to see the physio tomorrow and see what magic she can work. Whats the best oils/supplements to be taking to ease joint pain? Also, would there be any particular reason why my ankle hasn't repaired fully after a bad sprain?

Thanks in advance
Sturgeon
+488|4942|Flintshire
glucosamine is supposed to be good for joints, my dad takes it because his knees are fucked from plumbing for 30+ years and back then they had very shit/no knee protection.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
lrishpride
+68|5149
ta x
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4844|Amsterdam
I asked my physiotherapist if there was anything i could take for my joints.
So we started talking about supplements and she told me glucosamine is unnessacerry. It won't do you any harm, but it wont really help either.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma

lrishpride wrote:

lrishpride wrote:

Hey

Thanks in advance
Try starting again from light weights/slow speeds and see if you can strengthen that way. I wouldn't have thought you actually have anything wrong with you if you could do it a few months ago. You're just out of condition.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
HaiBai
+304|5485|Bolingbrook, Illinois
maybe you exercised/lifted with improper form and are now paying for it?
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Been soooo slack. Went on tour and now I've spent a week recovering, just no energy at all. Monday I've promised myself to get back into it.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6192|Roma
Wrist curls with barbells are uncomfortable for me as my wrists twist inwards when I bend them towards me. I'm guessing using dumb-bells makes no difference?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney
Dumbbells would make a difference iirc as your wrists won't be at such a fixed angle as they are with a barbell. Also, try a slightly wider or narrower grip with the barbell and see if that helps.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

I need to get to:

1.5 miles in 9:12 or less
67 pushups in a minute
58 situps in a minute

The running would be easy as pie for me. The other stuff, well, you better be hustling..lol.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I signed up for a gym membership on Saturday, went today. Timed myself on the mile, hit 7 mins as I had figured from doing my trail running. Obviously have to up it, but I'm now working my leg muscles in addition so hopefully I'll hit a 6 minute mile by January or so if I stay consistent.

Keep in mind I've never realistically built muscle before, but this is what I did after:

Seated leg press

12 reps - 220
10 reps - 240
8 reps - 270

Leg extension

12, 10, 8 - 112 lbs

Seated leg curl

12, 10, 8 - 110 lbs

Now tomorrow I'm going to do run again and then do arms. I'm not weak by any means but honestly, I don't have that much upper body strength. Any recommendations for a beginning, specifically stuff that will help with pushups/situps?
Stimey
­
+786|6121|Ontario | Canada
Squats
­
­
­
­
­
­
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

I only work my arms every other week. Sometimes not even that much. Whenever you're doing any kind of push/pull exercise you work them (non isolated). If you're just starting up focus on your back, shoulders, chest, and legs. Get in to it, and then start targeting.

my opinion.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
I know some have railed against cable weights here... considering I'm just beginning, is it terrible that I'm sticking to them for now?
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6325|New Haven, CT
Yeah, start with compound exercises targeting major muscle groups. If you specifically care about upper body, deadlift, bench press, and row are a suitable core of lifts.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6602|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

I know some have railed against cable weights here... considering I'm just beginning, is it terrible that I'm sticking to them for now?
Of course they are fine, especially for a beginner. In fact they can help you develop your form, which is important for preventing injury.
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard