Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Aside from the fact that they actually cause more accidents, traffic cameras are also a perfect example of political corruption.

Often cities are approached by traffic camera producers with an offer of free installation of cameras as long as the city and the company share the income that come from the tickets.

Now, everyone here can accept the state being allowed to punish traffic violations and enforce other laws but a deal between the state and private businesses that differs states powers to privately held economic interest is wrong in every sense of our political system. Further more, the oft inability to dispute the tickets in a court of law not only violate our right of confrontation but also puts us at the complete mercy of camera cooperations.

I think that if there ever were a good example of government not caring about it's citizens, traffic cameras would be it.
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
Don't speed
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such

Sturgeon wrote:

Don't speed
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
Agreed. They are bs. Made turn on yellow light when no one wqs around. Got flashed by the camera. No cop would have given a shit if he saw me in the red for under a second.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
There's one camera by the mall on Long Island that has to go off at least 30 times an hour, mostly from people getting trapped in the box by the shit traffic pattern. It's a gold mine for the county.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
There's three on on 347, the road I take to work. One is a 4 way intersection (Nicolls/347 for those who have ever been out here) that's been renowned for being unsafe for many years, two are on 3 way intersections where they're really not necessary. I don't really mind them as I'm pretty observant of them and make sure to not even test the yellow lights anymore, but I've heard many stories of people getting screwed over by them. Like this:

I just got one. Sign says "No Turn on Red when Pedestrians are present" I didn't roll through. I clearly stopped (you see my brake lights and the amount of time between the shots/video) but I guess you have to stop for at least 30 seconds before going or the county will get $65 to pad the fact that they don't know how to balance a budget for your safety.

Last edited by Poseidon (2011-10-10 16:19:09)

NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6311|Atlanta, Georgia
Traffic camera's are fucking stupid, I hate them.  They are everywhere here in atlanta. EVERYWHERE.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
I made a right turn from Ocean Ave to Ave Z. I went in while it was yellow. It was around 10:30 pm or later. I got flashed by the first flash as i was leaving my turn. The second camera caught me I as cleared the intersection that crosses the island and parking road. I was raging hard. Then there was like 6 blocks of stop signs.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6598|IRELAND

There's money to be made in road deaths! Capitalism ftw.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

presidentsheep wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

Don't speed
this pretty much

I don't know maybe in NJ it's different, but in the two Maryland counties I've lived in, all speed camera zones are clearly marked with a "PHOTO ENFORCED" sign underneath the speed limit signs. I think those are much more effective since people see them and slow down, rather than giving drivers no notice until they see the big flash from the camera.

Pretty much the only people I hear bitching about speed cameras are habitual speeders who act like every time they're driving it's to go and disarm a nuke somewhere.

e: speed cameras also helped lower collisions in Montgomery County

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/poltm … /stats.asp

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-10-11 06:49:49)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire
hurri did you even read the thread
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.

presidentsheep wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

Don't speed
Why not, it gets you to places quicker.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Do either of them even drive?
jord
Not sure.
west-phoenix-az
Guns don't kill people. . . joe bidens advice does
+632|6359
http://blog.motorists.org/6-cities-that … or-profit/

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit
Posted on March 26th, 2008 in Red-Light Cameras, Yellow Light Duration | Comments (204)

6 Cities That Were Caught Shortening Yellow Light Times For Profit Short yellow light times at intersections have been shown to increase the number of traffic violations and accidents. Conversely, increasing the yellow light duration can dramatically reduce red-light violations at an intersection.

Some local governments have ignored the safety benefit of increasing the yellow light time and decided to install red-light cameras, shorten the yellow light duration, and collect the profits instead.

Here are some of the cities that have been caught with short yellow light times over the past few years:

Important note: These news stories were collected from the archives of TheNewspaper.com, an excellent resource for anyone interested in traffic laws and other motorist issues. If you subscribe to TheNewspaper.com’s feed, you’ll never miss the latest news. It makes an excellent complement to this blog.

1) Chattanooga, Tennessee
The city of Chattanooga was forced refund $8800 in red light cameras tickets issued to motorists trapped by an illegally short yellow time. The refund only occurred after a motorist challenged his citation by insisting that the yellow light time of 3.0 seconds was too short. LaserCraft, the private vendor that runs the camera program in return for a cut of the profits, provided the judge with a computer database that asserted the yellow was 3.8 seconds at that location.

The judge then personally checked the intersection in question was timed at three seconds while other nearby locations had about four seconds of yellow warning. City traffic engineer John Van Winkle told Bean that “a mix up with the turn arrow” was responsible and that the bare minimum for the light should be 3.9 seconds.

Read the Full Story

2) Dallas, Texas
An investigation by KDFW-TV, a local TV station, found that of the ten cameras that issued the greatest number of tickets in the city, seven were located at intersections where the yellow duration is shorter than the bare minimum recommended by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT).

The city’s second highest revenue producing camera, for example, was located at the intersection of Greenville Avenue and Mockingbird Lane. It issued 9407 tickets worth $705,525 between January 1 and August 31, 2007. At the intersections on Greenville Avenue leading up to the camera intersection, however, yellows are at least 3.5 or 4.0 seconds in duration, but the ticket-producing intersection’s yellow stands at just 3.15 seconds. That is 0.35 seconds shorter than TxDOT’s recommended bare minimum. Dallas likewise installed the cameras at locations with existing short yellow times. A total of twenty-one camera intersections in Dallas had yellow times below TxDOT’s bare minimum recommended amount.

The ticket camera program in Dallas made the news recently for shutting down some of its cameras because they were no longer profitable.

Read the Full Story

3) Springfield, Missouri
The city of Springfield, Missouri prepared for the installation of a red light camera system in 2007 by slashing the yellow warning time by one second at 105 state-owned intersection signals across the city.

The city defended its effort to the Springfield News-Leader by claiming it was “standardizing” and had increased the yellow time at 136 city-operated lights to meet national standards. During the city council meeting last October where the red light camera ordinance was approved, however, Assistant Director of Public Works Earl Newman gave a different explanation for the reduction. Newman said he was, “concerned that many individuals run the light if the light remained yellow too long.”

Read the Full Story

4) Lubbock, Texas
KBCD, a local television station, exposed the city’s short timing of yellow lights at eight of the twelve intersections where the devices were to be installed.

Prior to the news investigation, Lubbock City Engineer Jere Hart assured city council members that he would not increase yellow times. According to the city council’s traffic commission minutes of September 19, 2006, Jere said, “if [the red light camera program is] implemented, the public would prefer to have an increased amber cycle,” but he stated that, “the program will not adjust the amber/yellow time.”

Shortly after the investigation became public, red-light cameras were installed in Lubbock. However, after they proved to be both unprofitable (due in part to a new state law giving 50% of the ticket camera profit to the state) and unsafe (accidents increased where the cameras were installed), they were taken down.

Read the Full Story

5)Nashville, Tennessee
Even without red light cameras, police in Nashville, Tennessee have been earning hundreds of thousands in revenue by trapping motorists in conventional ticket traps at city intersections with the shortest yellow warning time.

In 2006, Nashville resident Joe Savage obtained the data on every red light running ticket issued on Broadway street since 2000. He said that yellow lights are longer at intersections along Broadway until the areas where police are issuing tickets. At those locations, Savage clocked the yellow signal time at less than 3 seconds, in violation of both state law and federal regulations. A local newspaper, The Nashville Scene, then confirmed his findings.

Read the Full Story

6) Union City, California
In 2005, Union City, California was caught trapping motorists with a yellow signal time 1.3 seconds below the minimum established by state law. As a result, the city was forced to refund more than $1 million in red light camera fines.

The city’s violation came to light after Dave Goodson, an engineer, received a ticket and realized that he did not have sufficient time to stop before the light had turned red. As a result of his inquiries, Union City’s traffic engineers admitted that they had set the yellow signal time at Union City Boulevard and Lowry Road at 3 seconds, despite the state law mandating the time be 4.3 seconds or greater.

Authorities said that the yellow was too short long before the cameras were installed, but that no effective system was in place to verify the timing of the traffic signals despite their direct impact on safety.

Read the Full Story

Closing Notes:
These are only the cities that have been caught; it’s likely that this happens much more than the general public has been led to believe. Many cities avoid the bad publicity involved with shortening yellow lights by installing the cameras at intersections with inadequate yellow light times from the beginning.

If you or a family member receive an unjustified red-light violation ticket, it may be worth your time to check the yellow light duration at the intersection where the ticket was given out.
https://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/west-phoenix-az/BF2S/bf2s_sig_9mmbrass.jpg
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6221|England
Even if it saves one injury/death a year then why the fuck not or don't you want your fellow road users/pedestrians to be safe. Stop whining & don't break traffic laws it really is very simple if you do then you deserve everything you get.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
jord
I went 35 the majority of the time in a 30 because it's more efficient, I see no reason not to.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Monkey Spanker wrote:

Even if it saves one injury/death a year then why the fuck not or don't you want your fellow road users/pedestrians to be safe. Stop whining & don't break traffic laws it really is very simple if you do then you deserve everything you get.
Great. Now reread the OP and make note of the first line that points to 5 different studies that show they cause more accidents instead of prevent. After that read the post by Superior Mind and Jay. Once you do that, try to formulate an opinion again that isn't obviously misinformed.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6221|England

Macbeth wrote:

Monkey Spanker wrote:

Great. Now reread the OP and make note of the first line that points to 5 different studies that show they cause more accidents instead of prevent. After that read the post by Superior Mind and Jay. Once you do that, try to formulate an opinion again that isn't obviously misinformed.
We have traffic cameras all over the UK from Speed Cameras on arterial roads to cameras on top of traffic lights to see if you jump them they are part & parcel of everyday driving here in the UK & have been for years, you have to adjust your everyday driving to be aware of them as they can be anywhere. We even have mobile vans that park up on the roadside ffs & see if you are speeding. If you are unable to adjust to these then maybe you shouldn't be driving & use public transport instead.

I have been driving for 20 years & I have never once seen an accident caused by traffic cameras. As for the posts by Jay & Superior Mind & all  can say is they were breaking the law by turning when they shouldn't & being in a controlled box well he has eyes & can see if the traffic is moving ahead of him if it aint then don't move into the controlled area.

Last edited by Monkey Spanker (2011-10-11 14:27:50)

Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
BVC
+325|6665
We have a few speed cameras here, but they're mostly at static locations, and clearly visible.  Theres the odd van camera, but those aren't as common, and are deployed anywhere.  As with static cameras, they're also pretty obvious.

The speeding tolerance is usually 9kph over the limit.  eg. 50kph zone and you can typically get away with up to 59.  Occasionally there are zero-tolerance days/weekends, but these are always publicised in advance.

From time to time the government/police are accused of using them as a revenue-gathering tool, but as always its people who often speed/boyracers who are making the accusations.

" turbo car with no rego/warrant, 80kph past a school and I get a ticket??? fukkn pigz yeah do sum skids while drinking 8% woodies!! rip it nigga, fukkn ceffy drift yeah boi!!! "

Last edited by Pubic (2011-10-11 15:56:10)

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Monkey Spanker wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Monkey Spanker wrote:

We have traffic cameras all over the UK from Speed Cameras on arterial roads to cameras on top of traffic lights to see if you jump them they are part & parcel of everyday driving here in the UK & have been for years, you have to adjust your everyday driving to be aware of them as they can be anywhere. We even have mobile vans that park up on the roadside ffs & see if you are speeding. If you are unable to adjust to these then maybe you shouldn't be driving & use public transport instead.

I have been driving for 20 years & I have never once seen an accident caused by traffic cameras. As for the posts by Jay & Superior Mind & all  can say is they were breaking the law by turning when they shouldn't & being in a controlled box well he has eyes & can see if the traffic is moving ahead of him if it aint then don't move into the controlled area.
We don't live in the most heavily surveilled country on the planet so we're not used to it like you are

(nor should we ever become use to it)
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone
More than one quarter of New South Wales’ speed cameras have been switched off today after a state government audit found they had no significant impact on road safety.

The audit, conducted by NSW Auditor-General Peter Achterstraat, revealed that 38 of the state’s 141 speed cameras did little to improve safety.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/130070/nsw- … d-cameras/

Yay!

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Bet they install 39 others though

https://cdn0.caradvice.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/speed-camera-nsw1-625x416.jpg

Also if you miss this, you deserve to be fined. Hidden/mobile speed cameras are a fucken bitch though.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-10-11 17:50:33)

Pug
UR father's brother's nephew's former roommate
+652|6512|Texas - Bigger than France
Yeah, so I guess since the cameras cause more accidents that makes tailgating legal?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard