Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6713

Dilbert_X wrote:

It was a US registered company.

Its not the rule, but I've read enough annual reports and so on to see most executives are focused on their next set of bonuses and not much else.
Depends who sets up the company, some people want to build successful companies and some want to earn a quick buck and scram.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6408|'Murka

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'll use Newark NJ as an example.. If we pulled out all of the Government funding out of that shit hole of a town, the cost of living would drop and the economy would improve. That money we has the state of New Jersey are dumping in there plus federal isn't going to the poor it's just inflating the values and keeping them poor.

already addressed the war on poverty. It doesn't help the people it intends to, all it does is make those who don't want to be on the governments dollars go up.
Your argument applies to government subsidies writ large. They skew reality.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Spearhead wrote:

FEOS wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Also we need to stop Wars on, I think we spent 15billion on the war on drugs last year when it's only a 3 billion dollar a year industry? Why not just save 12 billion and buy all the drugs.
I'll use Newark NJ as an example.. If we pulled out all of the Government funding out of that shit hole of a town, the cost of living would drop and the economy would improve. That money we has the state of New Jersey are dumping in there plus federal isn't going to the poor it's just inflating the values and keeping them poor.
Let's stop the "War on poverty" while we're at it. We've spent ~$15.9 trillion since Johnson declared "war" on poverty, and have realized a whopping 2% improvement in the overall level of poverty in this country. So what's the answer? Throw more money at the problem.

That sounds remarkably like the definition of insanity. But then again, you could apply that to the approach taken with education in this country, or any number of other programs run by the government: "Spending gobs of money on the problem didn't fix it? Let's spend more!"
What do you think of the war on drugs?

Sending American citizens to prison (spending tax dollars too) for possessing ridiculously minimal amounts of pot while our allies in Afghanistan contribute to 90% of the worlds opium (aka heroin).  Yup seems consistent to me.
Oh, I agree. I've stated plenty of times in other threads that the war on drugs has never been treated as a war, and thus has failed by that measure. Nomenclature aside, there has been significant effort at poppy eradication in Afghanistan...which has caused some problems with the overall effort there.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Again it's not about forcing anyone to live in a certain way. It's about making sure people who want to live a certain way can regardless of what the majority believes. I believe every human being has total authority to do as they please with their bodies. A law removing restrictions on what people can do with their own bodies as long as it doesn't harm anyone else isn't forcing anything on anyone. It's not legislating social norms, it's protecting human rights.

The President enforces the law and rulings of the SCOTUS. The DOJ can very well at least try to legally block some of the bills, as it does with some of the immigration stuff, along the lines of making sure RvW isn't subverted. The admin can also use some of that soft power of theirs and try to sway public opinion against such bills. But they have done neither.
If the majority of the public in those states agrees with the position, why do you care? That's the system working.
Because I believe people have rights that supersede temporal law and the the majority of people's view. I don't think 'that's how the system works' is a good justification for little more than tyranny of the majority.

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-10-09 08:49:45)

cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ

FEOS wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

already addressed the war on poverty. It doesn't help the people it intends to, all it does is make those who don't want to be on the governments dollars go up.
How so?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Again it's not about forcing anyone to live in a certain way. It's about making sure people who want to live a certain way can regardless of what the majority believes. I believe every human being has total authority to do as they please with their bodies. A law removing restrictions on what people can do with their own bodies as long as it doesn't harm anyone else isn't forcing anything on anyone. It's not legislating social norms, it's protecting human rights.

The President enforces the law and rulings of the SCOTUS. The DOJ can very well at least try to legally block some of the bills, as it does with some of the immigration stuff, along the lines of making sure RvW isn't subverted. The admin can also use some of that soft power of theirs and try to sway public opinion against such bills. But they have done neither.
If the majority of the public in those states agrees with the position, why do you care? That's the system working.
Because I believe people have rights that supersede temporal law and the the majority of people's view. I don't think 'that's how the system works' is a good justification for little more than tyranny of the majority.
Both sides do it. It's not like Obama and the Democrats are up there standing up for individual rights. I see no difference between the two sides. One wants to ban trans fats, cigarettes, salt, corn syrup, guns, religious expression, etc and the other wants to ban abortion. The former affects me a helluva lot more than the latter.

Last edited by Jay (2011-10-09 09:13:18)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

You have no idea what you are talking about.
No. You seem to have no idea what I'm talking about.
Correct. You want to ban the owners from the discussion and replace them with some democratic committee that would surely have the best interest of the company in mind. Why not have the workers set their own wages? Would you expect them to have a longer view than the corporate leadership does in regards to the best interest of the company? Good luck with that.

What you are advocating is some FDR Progressive bullshit where the companies are nationalized 'for the common good'. I'll stick with the shareholders, thanks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Your little regional ban trans fat and cigarettes thing isn't anywhere near the national movements against things like abortion. There is just no equivalency. Social conservationism is much more active and widespread than your little hipster NYC actions.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

Your little regional ban trans fat and cigarettes thing isn't anywhere near the national movements against things like abortion. There is just no equivalency. Social conservationism is much more active and widespread than your little hipster NYC actions.
There's no effective national movement against abortion. There are many pushes for it at the state level, but Roe v Wade is not in any danger of being overturned at the federal level.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

I never said it was. I said there is national movement against abortion. They work at a state level but coordinate across the entire national sphere.
http://prolifeaction.org/
http://www.nrlc.org/
http://www.lifenews.com/
http://www.usccb.org/about/pro-life-activities/
I can post a dozen more. RvW isn't worth the paper it's printed on if at the state level abortion is made more difficult to get because of layers of needless bureaucracy and arbitrary regulations. Now if you can find multiple organizations that coordinate across the U.S. with the sole purpose of getting corn syrup removed or more difficult to receive then I'll be surprised.
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

It's called democracy. You got a better concept of governance? Love to hear it.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

cpt.fass1 wrote:

FEOS wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

How so?
Government subsidies prop up the value/cost of a given commodity, skewing the true cost/value upward. It even happened with the housing boom...who do you think subsidized all those loans? Fannie and Freddie...government organizations.
― Albert Einstein

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

I never said it was. I said there is national movement against abortion. They work at a state level but coordinate across the entire national sphere.
I can post a dozen more. RvW isn't worth the paper it's printed on if at the state level abortion is made more difficult to get because of layers of needless bureaucracy and arbitrary regulations. Now if you can find multiple organizations that coordinate across the U.S. with the sole purpose of getting corn syrup removed or more difficult to receive then I'll be surprised.
Oh, so it's a matter of organization for you then. It really bothers you that they protest at abortion clinics? Why do you care if they make it more difficult to get an abortion in Alabama? You live in New Jersey. Is New Jersey in danger of banning abortion? No? Ok then.

You're doing the exact same thing they are: sticking your nose in and voicing your opinion on something that doesn't concern you out of some moral obligation.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

How about protecting the right of citizens first and foremost and letting democracy decide everything else? The logic of your argument fits along with "if most Germans were okay with the Holocaust than it was fine because of democracy". An extreme example but it's the same logic train. It's a terribly weak logical justification for anything.

I value protecting human rights over the democratic will of a given time. You value?
FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

When people begin to lobby Congress, it automatically becomes national. All those "non-national" issues lobby Congress for laws in favor of their cause. They also work at the state level, where they have had more success. Just like the anti-abortion movement, strangely enough...
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

How about protecting the right of citizens first and foremost and letting democracy decide everything else? The logic of your argument fits along with "if most Germans were okay with the Holocaust than it was fine because of democracy". An extreme example but it's the same logic train. It's a terribly weak logical justification for anything.

I value protecting human rights over the democratic will of a given time. You value?
Germany wasn't a democracy.

And you still haven't offered a better form of governance.

I value the rule of law and democratic governance.
― Albert Einstein

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Oh, so it's a matter of organization for you then. It really bothers you that they protest at abortion clinics? Why do you care if they make it more difficult to get an abortion in Alabama? You live in New Jersey. Is New Jersey in danger of banning abortion? No? Ok then.

You're doing the exact same thing they are: sticking your nose in and voicing your opinion on something that doesn't concern you out of some moral obligation.
Like I said. I value a persons right to decide the course of their own bodies. Anything that prevents that is an attack on the entire notion of human liberty above the state.

How unvery libertarian you seem now... So are you really a libertarian or are you just using that as a cover for your economic views?
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5583

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Germany being a democracy during the holocaust wasn't point. It's the fact that your justification of the how things currently are fits in exactly with the example of the Holocaust approval. "If people agree with it, the system is working!"

I never claimed to want to tear down the entire democratic system we have so why would I offer a new system?

Rule of law and democratic governance supersede human rights. Nice to know. That's a nice position. 'Violating human rights is fine as long as the law doing it is respected by all parties and agreed to by at least 51% of active participants'. Solid philosophical footing....democracy for democracies sake.

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-10-09 09:57:54)

FEOS
+1,182|6408|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

Germany being a democracy during the holocaust wasn't point. It's the fact that your justification of the how things currently are fits in exactly with the example of the Holocaust approval. "If people agree with it, the system is working!"
Germany being a democracy during the Holocaust is entirely the point. You're basing your presumption on the fact that the people would approve of a given course of action by their government, and thus approve of the actions of their elected officials, not take the action of voting them out of office for acting against the will of the people.

You've made a leap in logic that defies explanation. I never said that the people agreeing with obvious human rights violations makes them OK. Where did I ever say that? I'll make it easy for you: I didn't.

Macbeth wrote:

I never claimed to want to tear down the entire democratic system we have so why would I offer a new system?
You seem to have a problem with majority rule, which is the basis of the democratic system...or at least, democratic rule that is in contrast with your views.

Macbeth wrote:

Rule of law and democratic governance supersede human rights. Nice to know. That's a nice position. 'Violating human rights is fine as long as the law doing it is respected by all parties and agreed to by at least 51% of active participants'. Solid philosophical footing....democracy for democracies sake.
Again, I never said that. Kindly point to where I did. You are making the assumption that abortion is an inherent human right. That is the core of the debate, isn't it? If it is a purely medical issue, then it is. If it isn't a purely medical issue (the position that the act kills another human being), then it isn't.

See, you are operating under the assumption that the debate/argument on the issue is resolved. It isn't. That's why it's still being debated and states are working through the issues. RvW isn't going to be overturned any time soon, but restrictions on abortions may very well be put in place by the states--as is their right under our federal system. Nobody's innate human rights are being trampled on--they can still have the procedure done under given circumstances--and when you have a large majority of the population in agreement with the position being taken, it's not like it's an unpopular position, either.
― Albert Einstein

Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

I value human rights. I don't consider the ability to murder your unborn children a right.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

Jay wrote:

I value human rights. I don't consider the ability to murder your unborn children a right.
how do you feel about capital punishment?
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6693|NJ

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I don't feel you have the right to tell people what to do with their body.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

No  innocent life is involved.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

I don't feel you have the right to tell people what to do with their body.
Did I say anything about forcing conformity to my viewooint?
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6495

Jay wrote:

13urnzz wrote:

Jay wrote:

No  innocent life is involved.
i don't get how someone can be pro-life and pro-death.

let me ask this - if a girl is raped, the pregnancy endangers the mothers life, the mother is chemically dependent, or a screening shows birth defect - are you still pro-life?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard