rdx-fx
+955|6580

Jay wrote:

Shareholders are the owners.
And that is the problem.

They are interested in their short-term share prices only.
Long term health of the company doesn't matter, employee conditions don't matter, customer satisfaction doesn't matter, company reputation doesn't matter.

It is backwards.
It should be "Build a quality product, profits will follow".
It will never be "maximize profit, a quality product will follow"
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6763|Noizyland

I don't know about Herman Cain but I object to the whole "running the country like a business" notion. Business is about making a profit. Government is about taking care of the things that shouldn't have to make a profit. Politicians and candidates talk about how they're going to run the country like a business or that they have experience as businessmen and expect this to be taken as a plus. Why?

Anyway to the question at hand. To be honest my first response is "Because you gave Bush two terms" which isn't a good argument. I think Obama has achieved more than he's given credit for but I also think he's been a bit soft. I think the reason for this is because since he got elected he's been campaigning for the next election, trying to court people from the other side of politics, the ones who always vote republican and would still vote for the other guy even if Obama personally gave them a kidney. Pointless. I think maybe if he's given another term he'll stop this bullshit, stop being the appeasing one and maybe hammer home some of the stuff he was promising in the first place.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6399|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

Again it's not about forcing anyone to live in a certain way. It's about making sure people who want to live a certain way can regardless of what the majority believes. I believe every human being has total authority to do as they please with their bodies. A law removing restrictions on what people can do with their own bodies as long as it doesn't harm anyone else isn't forcing anything on anyone. It's not legislating social norms, it's protecting human rights.

The President enforces the law and rulings of the SCOTUS. The DOJ can very well at least try to legally block some of the bills, as it does with some of the immigration stuff, along the lines of making sure RvW isn't subverted. The admin can also use some of that soft power of theirs and try to sway public opinion against such bills. But they have done neither.
If the majority of the public in those states agrees with the position, why do you care? That's the system working. Or is it just because YOU don't agree with it?
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6507|Πάϊ

Jay wrote:

How is it that you think a company becomes profitable? By screwing the customer? Customers only take so much before they rebel and go to a competitor. Good customer service is far more important than you seem to credit.
Companies become profitable by screwing its workers and its customers and everyone else that comes between them and a buck. Customer service is indeed very important, but screwing the customer is all too easy when you're the only provider of a product or service and overprive the fuck out of it.

Interesting talk I had with a CEO recently: He said "you know, we could be 5 times bigger as a company but that would mean huge problems with the workers because they could form a union and put pressure on us. Instead we made 4 smaller companies, each not employing enough people for them to make a union" (under the country laws in which they operate - that's Germany btw). So now that guy can pretty much sack anyone he wants whenever it suits him and not pay a dime in compensation. And you know what? That's why he's getting paid so much - to come up with all that shit and save money whatever the cost. And rdx wants that guy to run his country? Really?

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I get it. A government's agenda should be to lose money.

It all makes sense now.
Touché newbie but you know what I mean right?

btw seriously, our government did exactly that all these years! They tried - and succeeded - in making money off of us...
ƒ³
FEOS
+1,182|6399|'Murka

Actually, it appears that your government has lost tons of money...hasn't made any of of anyone.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6507|Πάϊ
I meant on a personal level, not for the country obviously! That would be bad business!
ƒ³
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6684|NJ
There's no reason to vote for anyone. It's not going to make a difffernce. We need to stop all forms of Welfare in this country and let the market correct itself. Meaning from Secton 8(public housing) to Coorporate welfare(bailouts and governent funding). Also we need to stop Wars on, I think we spent 15billion on the war on drugs last year when it's only a 3 billion dollar a year industry? Why not just save 12 billion and buy all the drugs.
I'll use Newark NJ as an example.. If we pulled out all of the Government funding out of that shit hole of a town, the cost of living would drop and the economy would improve. That money we has the state of New Jersey are dumping in there plus federal isn't going to the poor it's just inflating the values and keeping them poor.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

oug wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It all makes sense now.

btw seriously, our government did exactly that all these years! They tried - and succeeded - in making money off of us...
Sure do.

Doesn't completely boil down to this, but it's Sim City economics. If you spend more than you have or will realistically have (if you deficit spend), you'll lose the game. The government's been harping on citizens about that off and on (when they haven't been telling us to spend MORE to regrow the economy), so I think it's fair to expect the same out of them.

cpt.fass1 wrote:

There's no reason to vote for anyone. It's not going to make a difffernce.
It could make some. A president can appoint people to a lot of important positions and put his signature on critical documents.
cpt.fass1
+329|6684|NJ
But we don't make anything, and if we don't spend more then they can't keep  people employed. Less people employed means less people paying into insurances and driving those prices up, also less people buying stuff so it drives those prices up, also more people on welfare/foodstamps driving those prices up.  Meanwhile the government is pumping out money to everyone to keep it afloat and the rich are the only people getting it.

Not voting would put more pressure on the government for change then voting in someone who won't be able to do anything anyway. It's shows a loss of leadership and care, would be amazing to get across the peoples message.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-10-08 18:43:09)

FEOS
+1,182|6399|'Murka

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Also we need to stop Wars on, I think we spent 15billion on the war on drugs last year when it's only a 3 billion dollar a year industry? Why not just save 12 billion and buy all the drugs.
I'll use Newark NJ as an example.. If we pulled out all of the Government funding out of that shit hole of a town, the cost of living would drop and the economy would improve. That money we has the state of New Jersey are dumping in there plus federal isn't going to the poor it's just inflating the values and keeping them poor.
Let's stop the "War on poverty" while we're at it. We've spent ~$15.9 trillion since Johnson declared "war" on poverty, and have realized a whopping 2% improvement in the overall level of poverty in this country. So what's the answer? Throw more money at the problem.

That sounds remarkably like the definition of insanity. But then again, you could apply that to the approach taken with education in this country, or any number of other programs run by the government: "Spending gobs of money on the problem didn't fix it? Let's spend more!"
― Albert Einstein

cpt.fass1
+329|6684|NJ

already addressed the war on poverty. It doesn't help the people it intends to, all it does is make those who don't want to be on the governments dollars go up.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6141|what

Macbeth wrote:

instead of a social moderate Repub?
Shame none of them are running...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5462|Ventura, California
You're mad abortions are hard to get?

Dang you need a conscience son...

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6763|Noizyland

Dammit, I knew that was a New Zealand accent. This guy's bollocks obviously never had an impact here so he took it to America where this kind of theatrical bullshit gets attention.

What a horrible way to make a point, with primary school philosophical questions answered by people who aren't really given the opportunity to really consider the matter. Equating genocide to abortion is pathetic and Comfort ignores all the logical arguments to boot and throws around some of his own ridiculous arguments. Fuck this guy. If he ever tries interviewing me I will logic-bomb his arse.

Apparently he's been trying to get Richard Dawkins to debate him, (Dawkins unfortuantely has a rule that he does not debate with Creationists.) I hope that happens one day, I would pay to see that.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6589|132 and Bush

FEOS wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Also we need to stop Wars on, I think we spent 15billion on the war on drugs last year when it's only a 3 billion dollar a year industry? Why not just save 12 billion and buy all the drugs.
Let's stop the "War on poverty" while we're at it. We've spent ~$15.9 trillion since Johnson declared "war" on poverty, and have realized a whopping 2% improvement in the overall level of poverty in this country. So what's the answer? Throw more money at the problem.

That sounds remarkably like the definition of insanity. But then again, you could apply that to the approach taken with education in this country, or any number of other programs run by the government: "Spending gobs of money on the problem didn't fix it? Let's spend more!"
Lets stop "wars" on all abstract concepts.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6678|Tampa Bay Florida

FEOS wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What do you think of the war on drugs?

Sending American citizens to prison (spending tax dollars too) for possessing ridiculously minimal amounts of pot while our allies in Afghanistan contribute to 90% of the worlds opium (aka heroin).  Yup seems consistent to me.

Last edited by Spearhead (2011-10-08 23:36:47)

Reciprocity
+721|6569|the dank(super) side of Oregon

-Sh1fty- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI
thank you, shifty, that was moving and beautiful. 

keep it up and god might just let you blow kirk cameron in heaven.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5346|London, England

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

And that is the problem.

Long term health of the company doesn't matter, employee conditions don't matter, customer satisfaction doesn't matter, company reputation doesn't matter.

It is backwards.
Have you polled every shareholder? Personally, I like companies with long term growth. Most people do.

You have no idea what you are talking about.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

oug wrote:

Jay wrote:

How is it that you think a company becomes profitable? By screwing the customer? Customers only take so much before they rebel and go to a competitor. Good customer service is far more important than you seem to credit.
Companies become profitable by screwing its workers and its customers and everyone else that comes between them and a buck. Customer service is indeed very important, but screwing the customer is all too easy when you're the only provider of a product or service and overprive the fuck out of it.

Interesting talk I had with a CEO recently: He said "you know, we could be 5 times bigger as a company but that would mean huge problems with the workers because they could form a union and put pressure on us. Instead we made 4 smaller companies, each not employing enough people for them to make a union" (under the country laws in which they operate - that's Germany btw). So now that guy can pretty much sack anyone he wants whenever it suits him and not pay a dime in compensation. And you know what? That's why he's getting paid so much - to come up with all that shit and save money whatever the cost. And rdx wants that guy to run his country? Really?

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

It all makes sense now.

How cynical. I feel bad for you if that's the way you view the world. I've never seen my employers as the enemy.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX

Jay wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

Jay wrote:

And that is the problem.

It is backwards.
Have you polled every shareholder? Personally, I like companies with long term growth. Most people do.

Depends, I worked in a company where the plan was to rape the investors, maximise apparent profits and run before anyone found out.
I've not seen many companies which have real long term plans, beyond a year or two.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay wrote:

rdx-fx wrote:

And that is the problem.

It is backwards.

Depends, I worked in a company where the plan was to rape the investors, maximise apparent profits and run before anyone found out.
I've not seen many companies which have real long term plans, beyond a year or two.
In manufacturing, or any company with high capital costs, long term planning is more of a necessity. Most everyone wants to see their company do well and that means long term health. Employees aren't willingly going to run their company into the ground because it means they will be out of work.

Is your example the rule rather than the exception? No. If they tried that here they would end up convicted and then pardoned by Bush

Last edited by Jay (2011-10-09 05:08:46)

-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6094|eXtreme to the maX
It was a US registered company.

Its not the rule, but I've read enough annual reports and so on to see most executives are focused on their next set of bonuses and not much else.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6507|Πάϊ

Dilbert_X wrote:

There are quite a few of the latter actually, the kind Jay pointed out. But long term planning doesn't necessarily translate to better working conditions or customer care.

Jay wrote:

How cynical. I feel bad for you if that's the way you view the world. I've never seen my employers as the enemy.
Cynical? How could I not be? You should see how cynical that CEO I told you about was when he said it was his job to make sure people got fired without a compensation. If his job description was to murder babies on the street I bet he'd do it with that same calm and empty face.

In my small working carreer I've seen all kinds of terrible employers. Twice forced to resign. Twice owed to. I'm missing around 6-7 k. And you know what? Fuck the money - that I have no hope of ever getting btw. One of them was even a very close friend! So if you've never seen your employers as your enemies then I'm very happy for you. Hope you never have to.

Anyway all that is off topic, sorry. As far as the OP is concerned I'm with Ty. You gave Bush two terms. Let's see what Obama can destroy in 8 years. Makes little difference anyway. None of your voting options would radically change anything. Except maybe Nader. Is he even running this time?
ƒ³
rdx-fx
+955|6580

Jay wrote:

No. You seem to have no idea what I'm talking about.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5988|...

-Sh1fty- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y2KsU_dhwI
Self-righteous douchebaggery of some guy trying to impose his own sense of moral conscience on others, then tells them that they're going to hell for not following the commandments of his god. Ridiculous film, pure simple-minded ass gravy. He even goes on to compare nazi concentration camps to abortion clinics. What's more is that you're a huge hypocrite. This film is centered around the idea that human life or at the very least innocent human life, is sacred. You want to join the military, you support the wars in Afghanistan / Iraq. Innocent people die in these conflicts, given you ever join the military there's a chance innocent people might die by your hands, if not you still applaud the death of others. Guess you're going straight to hell as well.
inane little opines

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard