Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

Do you think the Battle of Tours was a history shaping event that confirmed Euro autonomy from the east or do you think Muslim expansion had reached it's natural limit?

The battle is often cited as the event that 'saved Europe from Islam' by some historians while others downplay it as a strictly European event without much significance to the whole east-west thing. The latter group contends that Muslim expansion into Europe was at it's natural limit having been so far removed from it's bases of power. The same group argues that despite the Battle lose the east still was in the lead and power would have shifted west regardless due to the other issues that destroyed the Muslim world. Finally the fate of Muslim Spain is held up as an example of the ineffectiveness of longterm Muslim rule deep into Christian land.

It's a good argument I will have to really mull over sometime. What do you guys think?

Did the Frenchies save Christianity in Europe or did the Muslims just not have what it took to eat all of Europe?

Last edited by Macbeth (2011-10-05 11:55:54)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
indonesia is pretty damn far from mecca
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

indonesia is pretty damn far from mecca
I was thinking something similar.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Macbeth wrote:

write my paper for me
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

No, hurricane. I just enjoy reading about history. I blame it on the history channel.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Look how far Islam spread into sub-Saharan Africa. Compare to Europe. Should answer your question regarding limits of reach.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5555

FEOS wrote:

Look how far Islam spread into sub-Saharan Africa. Compare to Europe. Should answer your question regarding limits of reach.

Iberia is still Catholic and Christianity is more of an advanced religion than the tribal religions of Africa.

I don't think that  Africa can be used as an example.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Iberia is still Catholic and Christianity is more of an advanced religion than the tribal religions of Africa.

Iberia is Catholic because of the Reconquista and some good old fashioned gencide.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Macbeth wrote:

FEOS wrote:

I'm talking about around the time of Mohammed. And what's referred to as "mostly tribal" in Africa is likely Sufi...which is a type of Islam. Regardless...look at your map. Look at how far Islam permeated Africa. Look at relative distance from the Arabian Peninsula. Compare to Europe.

The answer to your question should be self-evident.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard