13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

-Sh1fty- wrote:

nah no globalization plz
are you a swiss redneck or a california redneck? "oh please sign me up for Charles Lindhberg's Isolationist party please, it's what Rush wants me to do".
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
-Sh1fty- is only against globalization when it's not-America having an inpact on America. When it's the other way around it is not only acceptable, it's encouraged
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

*-Shitfy-
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6659|Tampa Bay Florida

-Sh1fty- wrote:

nah no globalization plz
So you dont support free trade?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay has even less of a clue than you do TBH, he even takes Milton Friedman seriously.
and you take Krugman seriously, so you're even.
Krugman who?
If the US economy tanks and the dollar falls, over a trillion dollars of investments currently being held by China drops in value...dramatically.
Not in U$ terms it doesn't, at all. They can still use it to buy up exactly the same amount of America, probably more so, which is what they're doing.

Shocking wrote:

The fact that we are swimming in debt is the problem, for both us and China.
Its much less of a problem for China.
If we fail, China fails because it will have a huge stockpile of cheap goods with no buyers.
Not really, you've heard of build to order? Loss of a few weeks production out of the past 10-20 years would hardly be a big deal, there are markets outside the US or they could just sell domestically.
Their economic growth is completely dependent on our prosperity, if western investors and buyers stop looking to China it is game over.
You do know more than 70% of their industrial output is for domestic consumption? And its climbing.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2011-08-18 01:08:22)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

rdx-fx wrote:

Hence my original premise. A plateau in economic growth combined with a continued growth in standard of living for the Chinese worker equals an erosion of China's competitive advantage.
Which is going to take decades to happen.
stagnation results in decline
This is the problem with growth theory right here. Stability = stability.
In other words.. like financing a house on high-interest credit cards; As long as you keep making the minimum payments, everything is fine.  Miss a month, and the whole pile starts to become unmanageable quite quickly.
Who are the Chinese borrowing from again? Thats right, they aren't borrowing, they aren't paying interest to anyone, and hence your theory falls flat.
The bobble-head talking-point about "China owns the mortgage on the US" bullshit is just that - bobble headed bullshit for the gnews anchors to spoon feed the plebes.
Its more true than you realise, except its not just China. Why do you think Biden is on a grovelling tour?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14570137
People who say different are talking bobble headed bullshit.
The US problem is a different animal completely: unsustainable spending, entitlement mentality, uneducated workforce, and the boomers living a lifestyle that essentially spent 4 generations worth of money in one generation.
This part is true, except you forgot the U$14t debt.
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Jay has even less of a clue than you do TBH, he even takes Milton Friedman seriously.
Krugman who?
If the US economy tanks and the dollar falls, over a trillion dollars of investments currently being held by China drops in value...dramatically.
Not in U$ terms it doesn't, at all. They can still use it to buy up exactly the same amount of America, probably more so, which is what they're doing.
Of course you don't know who Krugman is...he's a fellow Keynesian devotee.

And your last point makes no sense.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Krugman who?

So China has a lot smaller GDP than America but can somehow buy up all of America. Lolwat
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Krugman who?

How can you not understand it?

If the dollar tanks Chinese held dollars still have the same buying power in America.
Money is just paper, assets owned are what matter.
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Krugman who?

If the dollar tanks Chinese held dollars still have the same buying power in America.
Ah yes like when the currency failed in Germany in the great depression. It didnt have any effect as money was just paper after all...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
We were talking about a fall, not a total obliteration.
If the U$ were to cease to exist entirely that would be different.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...

Dilbert_X wrote:

Not really, you've heard of build to order? Loss of a few weeks production out of the past 10-20 years would hardly be a big deal, there are markets outside the US or they could just sell domestically.
I don't think you really understand what globalisation has done to the markets Dil. If the US truly fails everyone is fucked, the fallout would be enormous.

You do know more than 70% of their industrial output is for domestic consumption? And its climbing.
China's imports and exports amount to almost 3t usd with its most important trading partners being (by far) the EU and US. China's foreign trade is very responsible for its economic growth as the sector has grown exponentially over the years...
inane little opines
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Krugman who?

Do you not grasp what happens when an investment drops in value? Further, do you not realize that China does business with nations other than the US? Thus, if their investment in US bonds were to drop dramatically in value, it decreases their ability to leverage them to purchase, say euros or dinars or some other good/service in another currency.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
China doesn't look so scary once you hook up with some girls who were literally born there. What is China going to do? Invade America? Then what? Sleep with us before going to an Asian supermarket?
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9c/20140809-0072_Diamond_Jamboree.JPG/1200px-20140809-0072_Diamond_Jamboree.JPG
https://i.imgur.com/xsoGn9X.jpg
uziq
+492|3422
good job stud.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I solved U.S.-China relations.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

H Mart is Korean
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

KEN-JENNINGS wrote:

H Mart is Korean
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
I saw tons of Chinese packaged products.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

H Mart is an American chain, if I'm allowed to be a smartass about it.

SuperJail Warden wrote:

I saw tons of Chinese packaged products.
Seriously? Everywhere you look in this country there are Chinese packaged products.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2022-12-11 18:12:54)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Took me 11 years to reply to this thread. RIP, sorry rdx-fx. Ray-tracing on.
SuperJail Warden
Gone Forever
+634|3689
Ever been to a Mitsuwa?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuwa_Marketplace

There is a Daiso next to the one I have been to a few times. I have also bought clothes from uniqlo. All good stuff.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Not in my state afaik. But from that link, H Mart and 99 Ranch. Look up the 99 Ranch storefront in Kent, WA. It looks ready to repel goblins. Literally battlements. There's also Boo Han (there was a shooting at one of these) and Uwajimaya (the Bellevue store is pretty nice). And many more. PNW is carpeted with Asian markets. I don't know if there's anywhere along the Puget Sound where one isn't within easy range.
uziq
+492|3422

SuperJail Warden wrote:

Ever been to a Mitsuwa?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuwa_Marketplace

There is a Daiso next to the one I have been to a few times. I have also bought clothes from uniqlo. All good stuff.
daiso is korean. uniqlo is japanese.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Not in my state afaik. But from that link, H Mart and 99 Ranch. Look up the 99 Ranch storefront in Kent, WA. It looks ready to repel goblins. Literally battlements. There's also Boo Han (there was a shooting at one of these) and Uwajimaya (the Bellevue store is pretty nice). And many more. PNW is carpeted with Asian markets. I don't know if there's anywhere along the Puget Sound where one isn't within easy range.
The Koreans learned from the LA riots.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard