jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
A clockwork orange. I watched that for the 2nd time Friday

Kubrick>all
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
The genius was in the book, not the film, which Kubrick didn't write.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

AI was a Kubrick film, albeit finished by others.

That would give lie to "everything from Kubrick has merit."

Nice addition of We Were Soldiers. That is probably the best Vietnam movie ever made...as it's actually a true story.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5006|Massachusetts, USA

FEOS wrote:

Nice addition of We Were Soldiers. That is probably the best Vietnam movie ever made...as it's actually a true story.
It could have been executed better, it felt more like a RAH RAH 'MERICA kind of movie to me.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

UnkleRukus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It could have been executed better, it felt more like a RAH RAH 'MERICA kind of movie to me.
It was based on the factual accounts of the first use of air cav in battle, from both the US and NVA sides. Hardly "rah rah 'merica".
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
jord

FEOS wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

It was based on the factual accounts of the first use of air cav in battle, from both the US and NVA sides. Hardly "rah rah 'merica".
No it really was rah rah HOORAH patriotic shit. The only thing mel gibson did well was direct apacalypto, and that's it.
jord
The fact that it's based on a true story doesn't automatically make it better than the others in the list either.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

FEOS wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Some of it was a bit schmaltzy, but the Vietnam side of it seemed reasonable.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

jord wrote:

The fact that it's based on a true story doesn't automatically make it better than the others in the list either.
If you read the book, you would think differently. It was a pretty solid adaptation of the book...which was non-fiction, and on of the best accounts of the Vietnam War--from both sides.
― Albert Einstein

jord
He's burning by napalm but he's a really nice guy and he's kinda oriental but he's fighting on our side!
jord

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

If you read the book, you would think differently. It was a pretty solid adaptation of the book...which was non-fiction, and on of the best accounts of the Vietnam War--from both sides.
I probably will read the book. But for now, rating "the best vietnam movie ever made", I'm gonna put platoon above it.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

FEOS wrote:

UnkleRukus wrote:

FEOS wrote:

The ending was ridiculous, but the rest of the movie was extremely solid. Instead of charging up the hill and capturing the flag, the Americans fought their way out of the valley over the course of a week and walked away with their tail between their legs. That wouldn't have been good Hollywood though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

I probably will read the book. But for now, rating "the best vietnam movie ever made", I'm gonna put platoon above it.
Sure. Makes perfect sense to put a complete work of fiction over one based on fact when discussing the relative merits of films covering a factual event. To each his own.
― Albert Einstein

jord

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Sure. Makes perfect sense to put a complete work of fiction over one based on fact when discussing the relative merits of films covering a factual event. To each his own.
Ignorance is bliss. I enjoyed a work of fiction more than I did non fiction.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

OP wrote:

Platoon captures what Vietnam was the best
I have my doubts.
jord
The only let down on Platoon is that overly dramatic death when he's running away getting shot after he just got shot twice.
jord
but that's easier to tolerate than "I said I'm gonna be the last one on the chopper and now I am and this is proper important and iconic and stuff"...
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom

FEOS wrote:

we were soldiers is such a bad bad bad bad movie

-Garryowen trooper
Tu Stultus Es
jord
AI wasn't bad. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

eleven bravo wrote:

FEOS wrote:

we were soldiers is such a bad bad bad bad movie

-Garryowen trooper who wasn't even alive for Vietnam
fixt.

Honestly. How can being assigned to the same division--40-odd years later--make your opinion on the movie (or book) any more insightful? Unless the opinion is from someone who was there and can point out factual inconsistencies, it's no more meaningful than anyone else's.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
what the fuck would you know about a good war movie, feos?
Tu Stultus Es
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Oh, that's right. "You weren't there, man! You don't know!"

As I said: As much as anyone else here...including you.
― Albert Einstein

FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

jord wrote:

That was the movie that would not end. Fucking horrible.
― Albert Einstein

eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
reasons why we were soldiers was a terrible movie

1) incredibly corny

When the asian trooper tells the dude that his son was born just that morning, you know who is going to die next.  sure enough he gets hit with  napalm and says some corny shit thats been said in every single corny war movie ever made.  maybe youre easily inspired and saddened by such portrayals of "USA is number one" in your movies but I prefer a more realistic approach.  oh yeah and the black wife standing proud for her husband as they fight segragation and the NVA, please.  fucking pathetic. 

2)  only officers fight?

every single back story in that film dealt with officers and their families and relationships with one another.  sure, it was written by the the commander of 1/7 but c'mon.  as an enlisted man, i took personal offense at that considering how enlisted does the vast majority of fighting and dying in every single conflict we've had.

3) mel gibson is a douchebag

I hate the patriot too.  bad casting.  bad acting.  bad writing. really shitty dialogue. last good movie he did was braveheart.

4) they focus almost entirely on 1/7 cav

which is fucking bullshit.  complete bullshit.  anybody who reads the book or watchedd the movie would think that 1/7 cav was  pretty much the only unit that fought that engagement.

thats just what i could think of right now without having to remind myself how bad the movie is by watching it again.

also, garryowen is not a division you pog.  its a regiment.  dont comment on things you have little knowledge about.  As a former garryowen trooper and a person who lived in the same barracks that many of those guys came back too after their stint in nam, I take personal offense.  why the fuck does that bother you so much?  someone who is just as divorced from real combat as the average movie goer.
Tu Stultus Es
jord

FEOS wrote:

jord wrote:

That was the movie that would not end. Fucking horrible.
I'm yet to watch it in a "sober" state of mind but really you don't watch many films if you regard that as horrible. Even saying mediocre would be doing it a great injustice.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard