Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6441|EE Chat
So I bought a GTX 460 about a month back and now it's time for me to upgrade my mobo, ram, and processor. My current cart at newegg is:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz
GIGABYTE GA-Z68

Any suggestions?
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6655|The darkside of Denver
not a huge fan of Gigabyte.  Z68 chipset is nice though.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4964|Dundee, Scotland.
yah get z68.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Sturgeon
+488|4937|Flintshire
Got an i5-2500 last week, didn't get the k though as I don't want to liquid nitrogen cool it to 14GHz, if you're not going to oc seriously, get the standard model (the k just gives you an unlocked multiplier) it will be cheaper.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6518|...

might as well get 8GB, cheap enough
SonderKommando

jsnipy wrote:

might as well get 8GB, cheap enough
This, I didnt even read the amount of RAM.  Ram always gets more expensive after it gets cheaper.  Get it while its hot.
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6144|'straya

Sturgeon wrote:

Got an i5-2500 last week, didn't get the k though as I don't want to liquid nitrogen cool it to 14GHz, if you're not going to oc seriously, get the standard model (the k just gives you an unlocked multiplier) it will be cheaper.
Getting the K version doesn't cost that much more and it does give the opportunity to overclock if you decide you need it down the track. If he decides to get the i5 2500 instead of the K version then there is little point to spending the extra on a z68 mobo as one of the main advantages is the ability to overclock.

Build looks good to me, I would go for 8GB of RAM though as other have mentioned. Also, the GTX460 won't take full advantage of the i5 2500k's performance but since you already have it then it doesn't really matter.
SonderKommando

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

Getting the K version doesn't cost that much more and it does give the opportunity to overclock if you decide you need it down the track. If he decides to get the i5 2500 instead of the K version then there is little point to spending the extra on a z68 mobo as one of the main advantages is the ability to overclock.

Build looks good to me, I would go for 8GB of RAM though as other have mentioned. Also, the GTX460 won't take full advantage of the i5 2500k's performance but since you already have it then it doesn't really matter.
Good point in the z68.  I was looking at through my want goggles not my advice goggles.
Reciprocity
+721|6576|the dank(super) side of Oregon
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6564|Mountains of NC

56K modem

its coming back in style
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
Sturgeon
+488|4937|Flintshire

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

It's not like you can't overclock with a locked multiplier, I always have, I don't see the point in spending another £30 or so to get it, if you have the money though and you want to overclock it a lot by all means go for it.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6144|'straya

Sturgeon wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

Sturgeon wrote:

It's not like you can't overclock with a locked multiplier, I always have, I don't see the point in spending another £30 or so to get it, if you have the money though and you want to overclock it a lot by all means go for it.
Here in Aus the difference is a measly $10, and when you're talking about a ~$1000 build an extra $10 is nothing.

Also, overclocking with Sandy Bridge is different to previous generations of Intel CPUs in that unlocked multiplier CPUs are actually a reasonably priced option and not simply limited to their overpriced "extreme" range. The unlocked multiplier also does give fantastic overclocking results compared to the normal version.

Really though it doesn't matter that much, both CPUs perform very well but if you want to overclock it is the 2500K you want not the 2500.
If you don't want to overclock now and you're sure you don't want to in the future then go ahead and save some money by getting a 2500 and a cheaper mobo.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6441|EE Chat
Ended up going with the 2500 instead of the 2500k cause I had a coupon code for newegg that took it down to 184.99. Compared to 219.99, I think it will be fine. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6596|132 and Bush

Your Welcome.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6728|St. Andrews / Oslo

Anytime.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6596|132 and Bush

lol, Jens
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard