Keep the same3%3% - 5
Tighten18%18% - 27
Take away all14%14% - 21
Guns for everyone18%18% - 27
Don't know4%4% - 6
Total: 146
Torin
+52|6703
Someone please tell me why the US has the highest rate of gun violence in the world, if not for our gun control laws? (or lack thereof)
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6619|Sweden
why get a gun?

my guess is that people with firearms wants to know how it feels to kill someone, and since they have bought a gun they want to try it out aswell. screw defending yourself. that shit doesnt work, is it really that heroic to kill another person?

i just dont get it
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA

xXSarnathXx wrote:

why get a gun?

my guess is that people with firearms wants to know how it feels to kill someone, and since they have bought a gun they want to try it out aswell. screw defending yourself. that shit doesnt work, is it really that heroic to kill another person?

i just dont get it
That is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard.  Nearly every member of my family (going out at least to first cousins) owns at least one gun.  None of us have ever shot anybody.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA

Torin wrote:

Someone please tell me why the US has the highest rate of gun violence in the world, if not for our gun control laws? (or lack thereof)
By that logic, shouldn't gun violence be out the roof in Switzerland, where, according to max, "nearly every swiss male has an assualt rifle in their bedroom closet, ammo can be bought if you are 18 freely?"
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6619|Sweden
ye, well why else own a gun?

the reason u have a gun is to shoot stuff right, and by stuff i mean people. if u shoot bottles u can use a air gun, if u hunt deer u can use a hunter rifle, a hand gun is a killers weapon.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA

xXSarnathXx wrote:

1. Because they are fun to shoot
2. For self defense
EDIT: one thing I don't understand: why do Europeans care so much about our gun laws?  You don't live here, so why do you care?

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-17 10:43:55)

jamestx10
TX##
+3|6806|Allen, TX
I did not read every post to see if this was in here. Check out this guys online book of gun stats. http://www.gunfacts.info/
=JoD=Corithus
+30|6569
Stalin and Hitler both imposed strict gun control policies in they're respective nations.  A populace without the means to defend itself is a populace easily controled.  Two fine examples of gun control at work, and only at the cost of, what? 30 million lives? Great idea.(please note the sarcasm)
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6579|NYC / Hamburg

atlvolunteer wrote:

max wrote:

crooks get their guns anyhow, its only the private guys like us who want to protect our families (if i had one) or similar that are hindered in getting a gun with these restrictions.

For example nearly every swiss male has an assualt rifle in their bedroom closet, ammo can be bought if you are 18 freely and nothing ever happens.
I have a question for you: what is the murder rate in your country?
1.42 gun kills/10'000 murders; 1.6homocides/100'000 pop. (thats what google says) i.e really low

gun contol does not lead to less violence. As i have already said, if i want a gun (say in gemany) i can get one, no matter what the laws say.

On a fun note: a person i know in our village has a huge and functional WW2 era aa gun. On the 1st of august (the swiss national holiday) he always fires off some shots (life ones, not ones that just make noise)

Last edited by max (2006-05-17 12:30:46)

once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA

jamestx10 wrote:

I did not read every post to see if this was in here. Check out this guys online book of gun stats. http://www.gunfacts.info/
Thanks for that.  I'll definitely read.
EDIT: Just a few pages in but found a few things I thought worth posting:

gun facts wrote:

Fact:  When citizens are allowed to carry concealed weapons:
•  Murder rates drop 8%
•  Rape rates fall 5%
•  Aggravated assaults drop 7%
Fact: "Violent crime rates are highest overall in states with laws severely limiting or 30 prohibiting the carrying of concealed firearms for self-defense".
•  The total Violent Crime Rate is 26% higher in the restrictive states (798.3 per
100,000 pop.) than in the less restrictive states (631.6 per 100,000). 
•  The Homicide Rate is 49% higher in the restrictive states (10.1 per 100,000) than in
the states with less restrictive CCW laws (6.8 per 100,000). 
•  The Robbery Rate is 58% higher in the restrictive states (289.7 per 100,000) than in
the less restrictive states (183.1 per 100,000). 
•  The Aggravated Assault Rate is 15% higher in the restrictive states (455.9 per
100,000) than in the less restrictive states (398.3 per 100,000).

Last edited by atlvolunteer (2006-05-17 12:36:08)

yayo
+2|6587

MooseRyder wrote:

sheggalism wrote:

tighten guns control in the US wouldn't decrease criminality, look at Canadians : they've got guns (though not as much as American) but they don't have so much troubles ==> what did Moore want to tell us in "Bowling for Columbine" ? that's American's temper and today's US status which make this country look like a battlefield (but Brazil's still the worst).
The major diference here in Canada is that we only have guns for hunting. So any handguns, military, subs or any other guns are illegal  and you need to go thru some exams to have a license saying you are allowed to own a hunting gun and/or have the right to use a hunting gun.

You can count around 2 guns per house in Canada. But these guns have only one purpose, hunting animals as a sport.

Take off the handguns in the US and you will see the gun kills dropping a lot. Its really fuckin easy to walk around in the street with a glock whitout anyone knowing and taking it out and shooting someone. Now try to do the same with a 12 gauge. You wont have the same result, In fact i dont think anyone would walk in the street with a shotgun. The major problem i see in the states is the handguns.

And whats sad about this, the normal and responsible americans that own guns for shooting at the range or for home defense, start getting restricted because of these retards shooting each others in the streets with stolen handguns.
Agree
And there is a documentary about how low kills are in Canada.
I think it is some cultural thing involved.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA
Another interesting bit of info:

gun facts wrote:

CRIME AND GUNS
•  71% of gunshot victims had previous arrest records
•  64% had been convicted of a crime
•  Each had an average of 11 prior arrests

•  63% of victims have criminal histories and 73% of the time they know their assailant (twice as often as victims without criminal histories)
Most gun violence is between criminals, which should be the public policy focus.
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6783|Atlanta, GA USA

atlvolunteer wrote:

Torin wrote:

By that logic, shouldn't gun violence be out the roof in Switzerland, where, according to max, "nearly every swiss male has an assualt rifle in their bedroom closet, ammo can be bought if you are 18 freely?"
To better address your question:

gun facts wrote:

Fact: In America, we can demonstrate that private ownership of guns reduces crime, but from country to country there is no correlation between gun availability and the violent crime rate... 
to use detailed data, we can contrast the per capita homicide rate with the per capita gun ownership rate between different industrialized countries.  Doing so shows zero correlation between the availability of guns and the overall homicide rate. (there is a chart in the PDF)

Fact: Switzerland has extremely lenient gun control (more so than the U.S.) , and has the third-lowest homicide rate of the top nine major European countries, and the same per capita rate as England and Wales. 

Fact:  Indeed, the Swiss basically have a military rifle in nearly every closest.  "Everybody who has served in the army is allowed to keep their personal weapon, even after the end of their military service."
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848

yayo wrote:

MooseRyder wrote:

sheggalism wrote:

tighten guns control in the US wouldn't decrease criminality, look at Canadians : they've got guns (though not as much as American) but they don't have so much troubles ==> what did Moore want to tell us in "Bowling for Columbine" ? that's American's temper and today's US status which make this country look like a battlefield (but Brazil's still the worst).
The major diference here in Canada is that we only have guns for hunting. So any handguns, military, subs or any other guns are illegal  and you need to go thru some exams to have a license saying you are allowed to own a hunting gun and/or have the right to use a hunting gun.

You can count around 2 guns per house in Canada. But these guns have only one purpose, hunting animals as a sport.

Take off the handguns in the US and you will see the gun kills dropping a lot. Its really fuckin easy to walk around in the street with a glock whitout anyone knowing and taking it out and shooting someone. Now try to do the same with a 12 gauge. You wont have the same result, In fact i dont think anyone would walk in the street with a shotgun. The major problem i see in the states is the handguns.

And whats sad about this, the normal and responsible americans that own guns for shooting at the range or for home defense, start getting restricted because of these retards shooting each others in the streets with stolen handguns.
Agree
And there is a documentary about how low kills are in Canada.
I think it is some cultural thing involved.
it is a michael moore movie and it sux sh*t. Saw it. Fruad.
xXSarnathXx
Decepticons forever!
+25|6619|Sweden

atlvolunteer wrote:

xXSarnathXx wrote:

1. Because they are fun to shoot
2. For self defense
EDIT: one thing I don't understand: why do Europeans care so much about our gun laws?  You don't live here, so why do you care?
i dont really care, i guess its the typical american attitude that i find rather intriguing and i want do see what you lot say if i say somethin like that.

im reading theese posts on this forum, some make me pissed off imo, some are interesting and im not pretending to be able to see stuff your way because the typical american attitude is totally different from the typical swede.
daffytag
cheese-it!
+104|6587
I think all you gun lovers are mental. I can accept people hunting,but not just for the fun of it. If your gonna kill an animal their has to be a better reason than it being for sport.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6639|IRELAND

Correct me if im wrong. But wasn't the American constitution wrote a couple of hundred years ago when the USA had just come out of a war filled period on your own doorstep. I can see how at the time the right to bear arms would have been a necessity when the union of states was still in its infancy. What stands out for me in this debate is all folks posting here for free gun laws are all talking about the past. How the hell is this world supposed to move forward when you want to live in the past. Things change. The USA in its short history has changed. Why cant it change some more? Compare the facts bellow and there is no way that you can argue that things should stay the way they are. I don't know the best way to fix it as I don't live in the USA, but I think we should all agree that something needs to change.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gun deaths per 100,000 population (for the year 2002):

Homicide                Suicide            Unintentional

USA                       4.08 (1999)               6.08 (1999)         0.42 (1999)

Canada                  0.54 (1999)              2.65 (1997)         0.15 (1997)

Switzerland           0.50 (1999)               5.78 (1998)          -

Scotland                0.12 (1999)               0.27 (1999)           -

England/Wales      0.12 (1999/00)           0.22 (1999)        0.01 (1999)

Japan                    0.04* (1998)              0.04 (1995)       <0.01

* Homicide & attempted homicide by handgun

Last edited by JahManRed (2006-05-18 03:17:10)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6579|NYC / Hamburg

daffytag wrote:

I think all you gun lovers are mental. I can accept people hunting,but not just for the fun of it. If your gonna kill an animal their has to be a better reason than it being for sport.
this isnt about loving guns. its about being able to get one if you want. The argument that gun control reduces murders is just plain out wrong. You can kill somebody just as easyly with a knife, but they are still allowed
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6639|IRELAND

MAX look at the facts above.
SOURCE: Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848

xXSarnathXx wrote:

the reason u have a gun is to shoot stuff right, and by stuff i mean people. if u shoot bottles u can use a air gun, if u hunt deer u can use a hunter rifle, a hand gun is a killers weapon.
no knowledge of the topic.
Horseman 77
Banned
+160|6848
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't ethnic cleansing 8 years ago ?

Leave the U.S. Constitution alone it was constructed by better minds than we find lately.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard