NiMhurchu
Suicide Operations
+13|6854|Germany
Boys and girls,

is life getting more and more complicated for you, too? Or is it just that I am getting old? Well, we had this "getting old" thing in another thread not long ago. Officially, I am old with my 32 years. Especially on the battlefield.

OK, back to topic. Today, I opened my snail mail box, which was -- surprise -- full of advertisement papers. Usually, I throw them away. But: my waste paper basket was full, so I decided to bring it out to the trash can. Which was also full! So I took the goddamn basket and the ad papers back to my flat. Anyone need them? I still have them here.

OK, this is not the most sophisticated example, but does life have to be that complicated? I just wanted to empty my mail box and ended up in swearing at the trash cans.

Another example: just three days ago, the PSU of my external hard drive went "bang" and: PSU is no more. So I have to contact the vendor, get the drive out of the case, get a packing around the case, bring the whole stuff to the post office, pay a lot of money, wait until they hopefully return a working one, go to the post office an pick it up again.

Why work? Life is complicated enough.

And back to the question: is it just me? Please no. What do you think? Do you experience similar things in your life?
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

yes... and no

heres some solutions
problem 1 (the garbage):
A) empty your garbage, you dirty pig
B) discreetly dispose of the garbage in your nighbours back yard
C) burn it, like the bosnians

problem 2 (PSU)
... not much you can do here... when something dies on the machine that I can`t fix I usually just buy a new, better one.  Stuff only breaks every 5 or so years anyways... which is about the same time I usually upgrade.

Life is only complicated when you make it complicated.  You can do lots of small things that add up to simplify life in the long run. 
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6837|USA! USA! USA!
Your just old.  Man...  32??  I can't believe your still alive. 

j/k

Here is my suggestion for the trash:  Throw it in a dumbster near your job.  That is what I do.  I used to live in an apt and we had our own dumpsters.  That was nice, because I never had to worry about trash day.  Now I live in a house and I forget what days they come to get trash.  Also, my room mate apparently hasn't discovered the need to take out the trash, so whenever I'm gone I come back to it just sitting by the door for me to take to the curb. (I mean, really?  He could probably just throw it in the direction from the door...)  Also, Bosnians aren't the only ones who burn trash.  Ever lived out in the country?  The city doesn't come out there to get your trash.  You have to find some place to dump it or burn it yourself.  I know a lot of farmers who burn their trash.  Hell, one of my friends just saves it all for big parties and we have huge bon fires!
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

Krauser98 wrote:

Also, Bosnians aren't the only ones who burn trash.  Ever lived out in the country?  The city doesn't come out there to get your trash.  You have to find some place to dump it or burn it yourself.  I know a lot of farmers who burn their trash.  Hell, one of my friends just saves it all for big parties and we have huge bon fires![/b][/color]
I duno where you're from, but burning trash is very illegal and very much frowned upon here.  Never seen it here.
karto
I keed :P
+0|6781
Old at 32
Maybe its because I work at a hospital, but IMO you can talk about being old when you're 60 at the earliest. I have seen people at 92 having a great time, people at 40 feeling halfdead allready and probably every other combination of age and outlook possible.
Considering life a complicated affair has nothing to do with age. My littlesister (17) has just been hospitalised with a depression, she finds eating breakfast an almost impossible challenge. I find life becomes easier to deal with as I gain experience (I'm 25).
It sounds like some relatively small things get you down quite a lot (this can't have been the first time something of yours broke, or the garbage happened to be full at a bad time). Are you sure something else isn't getting you down without you noticing?

I do experience similar things (say a full trashcan when my hands are full of some gross kitchen trash), but it doesn't really bother me.

Last edited by karto (2005-10-15 00:31:21)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6793

I say: if im not getting shot at, blown up, stabbed, or tortured... its a good day.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6844|A Small Isle in the Tropics

beeng wrote:

Life is only complicated when you make it complicated.  You can do lots of small things that add up to simplify life in the long run. 
i really like that statement, beeng.  and i think it sums things up.

at the age of 40 (which is where i am), life takes on a completely different perspective for me. i can say, i have been there, and done that and its true (except for Fear Factor stuff). as i inch closer to the average life expectancy mark, i take on a different approach to living. for a 20-sthg to discover he has a bone tumour in his head, its is the end of the world for him. for a 40-sthg, its trying to beat it to the flag. its all about one's perspective to life.
Krauser98
Extra Green Please!
+53|6837|USA! USA! USA!
I'm from a backwords place known as Oklahoma!  It is great!  If you don't live in the city limits you can do pretty much whatever you want.  Mostly because the Sheriff has better things to do than to tell you not to piss off your back porch when your hammered and your room mate is passed out on the toilet. 

beeng, I agree with you to an extent.  I could have a great day after being shot at though.  Can I modify it to read "If I haven't been shot, blown up, or tortured it is a good day" ?  Mostly because I like being in 'difficult' situations.

Last edited by Krauser98 (2005-10-18 15:22:33)

Miakei
+1|6830|Los Angeles, CA
Age, the endless march towards the inevitable destiny that awaits us all. I wouldn't say life gets more complicated, rather, our view of the world expans, and we notice how much goes on in the world. Then, for some odd reason, we decide to take it upon ourselves to change the world...at least within our sphere of influence.
I mean, how many people work themselves to death, because they want to have the image of success, wealth or power? How many people have turned their backs on their beliefs and compromised morals to get that little extra percentage? Or to garner the illusion of success? In truth, I see that life is only as complicated as you make it. Don't sweat the small stuff. Why fret about taking the garbage out, at most it's a brief inconvenience, I mean, it's not like you have to walk down Mt Everest to the trash can, and slog your way back up on one leg in a blizzard right?

As for the PSU, well, it sucks, but other than not being able to get online, maybe it's time to read a good book! Distract yourself with other things. I love to read, and there have been quite a few days wher I opted to polish of a book, rather than jump on BF2 *I admit, they are few and far between, but they have been rumored to exist*

In my amateur, and non-solicited opinion, you're only as old as you feel, you're only as stressed as you allow yourself to be, and you're only as helpless as you want to be.

Other than that, play on my friend, lifes a game....now where the hell did I put those cheat codes?
B.Schuss
I'm back, baby... ( sort of )
+664|6848|Cologne, Germany

I'm with Miakei here. It seems the little things bother us more than they used to, mainly because the big things have been fixed.

I believe life is quite a lot easier than it used to be. Just take a wider perspective. Housing, electricity, running water ( clean water, for that matter ), transport, affordable medicine for the whole family, public safety, food..

there are literally millions of people today on this planet who have none or little of the above mentioned. now that's what I call problems.

If I ever get the feeling that the small inconveniences of my daily life are starting to get me down ( ya know, trashcan full, PSU broke, favourite cheese sold out at K-Mart.. ) I imagine what it must be like to be living in some remote part of africa. after that, my little problems seem small and really manageable...

I guess as we grow older, we start taking up more responsibility for ourselves and others ( possibly wife and kids ). and we also have more things we own. this will change our perception of the things around us quite drastically. I believe it is vital to keep your focus on what's really important in life, to keep the right perspective.

In other words: when we were young, we didn't have anything else to worry about but daily inconveniences ( which seemed like big problems back then ). Now that we are all grown up and worry about other things, we somehow believe we should have a right not be bothered with the little stuff any more.

well, I guess life doesn't work like that. you gotta deal with the whole package. possible solutions:

1. get a housekeeper and make her get out the trash
2. get kids and make them do it ( will only work for a while though and then you still gotta pay for college )
3. make your wife / GF do it ( and prepare for a costly divorce )
4. adapt a more positive attitude towards the little things in life

example for no. 4 ? here goes: one day, I discovered that the fan of my graphics card was broken, resulting in overheating and possibly card failure. no FPS gaming for sure. so I called the retailer and sure enough they would have to send in the card and wait for replacement. When I got there they told me it could be a couple of weeks before the card would be back. I was devastated. In fact, I was so down I asked the girl in the cue behind me if she'd go out with me. to my surprise, she agreed ( we had been talking about stuff while we waited in the cue ). So I got there with a broken graphics card and left with a date.

Point is: don't let little things bug you. make the most of them

did that make sense ?
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6848|Missoula, MT
Don't sweat the small stuff...and p.s. it's all small stuff!    Perfect sense Schuss!
Sarum
The Angry Geek
+11|6854

B.Schuss wrote:

In fact, I was so down I asked the girl in the cue behind me if she'd go out with me. to my surprise, she agreed ( we had been talking about stuff while we waited in the cue ). So I got there with a broken graphics card and left with a date.

B. is pr0!

And I agree, life could always be worse, so be grateful of that. Think Kashmir, now that sucks, the all the little problems I've got associated with moving flat are nothing. The fact that somewhere to live and all the stuff that makes my life comfortable are giving me one or two... complications... is nothing compared to the problems I'd have if I had nowhere to live, not possessions, and a septic leg.
Ryan_Mercury
"It's Recharging!"
+19|6827
... It's really not hard to replace a PSU.. I mean, all you need is $30 ~ $60 bucks and a screw driver.
KillerTroop 11th Cav Whit
+0|6747|Fort Worth, Texas
So many sicoligest. PEW. Get a remote controlled vehicle and mount a camera on it and sit at your broken computer and drive man drive... Eat the trash would be a good idea. Get off your lazy ass and GetRdone.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5266|foggy bottom
it is for me.  Im about graduate college.
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5708|College Park, MD

eleven bravo wrote:

it is for me.  Im about graduate college.
evidently without an English degree
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
BVC
+325|6702
If the OP hasn't learned to take out the trash by the age of 37, there really isn't much hope for them.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard