Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6438
The whole "smoking levels stress rates in smokers" is bullshit. You wouldn't be suffering from withdrawals if you weren't addicted in the first place.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Jay wrote:

I'd still like someone to explain the difference between taking away a decision and making the decision so uncomfortable that you're left with one choice anyway. I'd also like someone to explain to me why other people think it's ok to tell me how to live my life but would go batshit crazy if someone tried to do it to them.

I smoke. I quit in February and started smoking again at the end of May. I've smoked for 11 years now. During the time I quit I got into more arguments over retarded shit with my fiancee than I had during the previous six years that we've been together. Smoking helps me maintain my temper by giving me an 'out'. Something stressing me out? Go outside, light up a cig and think about it calmly for a few minutes. Problem solved.

Does it smell bad? Yes. Is it probably going to kill me in the end? Yes. Do I wish I'd never started? Yes. None of that changes the fact that the habit is so entrenched in my personality that giving it up is like ripping out a piece of me. So kindly fuck off with the taxes, and the renaming of brands, and the relabeling of the box. All it does is make me want to smoke more to spite the assholes that continually try to shove their opinion on me. Mayor Bloomberg raised the price of my smokes by $6 since he entered office. So here's a nice big flip of the bird to him. I'm going outside.
It can't be explained because there is no difference. The only legislation that should be made regarding cigarettes are those that restrict smokers from smoking where ever they want, and that, only because their smoking can affect another persons, comfort which smokers have no right to do.

As for the rest, hey, peer pressure is a bitch ain't it? At least ya got to sit at the cool lunch table. lol

Enjoy your smokes, inhale deep and hold it as long as you want, you have every right, and my blessing.

Last edited by lowing (2011-06-23 15:44:03)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

The whole "smoking levels stress rates in smokers" is bullshit. You wouldn't be suffering from withdrawals if you weren't addicted in the first place.
Spoken like a true non-smoker
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

Spoken like a true non-smoker
Unless you smoke 2 packs a day you'll start getting jitters.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5443|Ventura, California
Why does the government have to get involved in everything? They're replacing the parents' role here. A few powerpoint presentations of the consequences of smoking wouldn't hurt our students but I still think good parents should be able to sway their child's opinion on the matter. I'm no parent myself but that's what I think.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/31122/1308896462690.jpg
­
­
­
­
­
­
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Pubic wrote:

We've had that sort of thing here for years now.  You get the odd smoker who says "eww thats gross I dont wanna look at that when im having a fag", but they go ahead and smoke anyway.  Most smokers ignore the warnings, and it even provides some of them with a perverse thing to collect or converse about while they're fagging up.

What does work (somewhat) is raising the price of tobacco.
anything that goes against this shit is okay with me, especially if no tax money is spent on it.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
mikeshw
Radioactive Glo
+130|6807|A Small Isle in the Tropics

cigarettes cost almost US$8 a pack here, and advertisements didnt stop no one.

http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/PHE2075.jpg
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Mikeshw, where have you been hiding?

The ads don't stop people buying cigarettes if they want them. What they can do is make some people hesitant from buying them in the first place. It takes away just that little bit from the slick glossy packages the companies want to sell to you to reduce their desirability, it takes away their advertising power. People don't protest the outlawing of cigarette advertising, this is pretty much more of the same. Like I said earlier, if you really can't handle the images, and in NZ people don't seem to care about them, buy a cigarette case.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
What the ads do is waste tax payers money. There are studies that show scare tactics and all this dare none sense and government funded bullshit DOES NOT WORK. Why do we keep wasting out money and paying out the ass for these programs?

All the raising of the taxes on the smokes did was
A. Make them MORE desirable ( a 40 dollar steak WILL always taste better then a 5 dollar steak, you mind associates cost with enjoyment)
b. Open up a black market for cigarette runners and smash and grab crimes.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

The more I think about it the more I think having these pictures on the labels may help the tobacco companies.  I doubt it will curb smokers,but what it will do is provide a defense for the companies against lawsuits.  If somebody is buying and smoking a pack of cigarettes with these images on them they can't really claim to be ignorant of the consequences,  thereby making it more difficult to prove that the companies are in any way misleading consumers.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

I still wouldn't want engorged pictures of human lard on the top of every pizza box or the back of every candy bar wrapper.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard