Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Needs a lighter.

So terrorist's have and do more damage then smoking and raising taxes creates a need for a black market and those now a days fund terrorism.

Also we do pay for our own health insurance, then they drop you when it touches there bottom line.
https://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21h3lxDxDML._SS400_.jpg
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Also we do pay for our own health insurance, then they drop you when it touches there bottom line.
no not everyone.  lots of people dont really pay much in taxes.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What does that have to do with insurance? Oh you're talking about medicare, well as John said we're not going to have that so it's a moot point. What about the terrorism thing?

John that doesn't have the flask.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What does that have to do with insurance? Oh you're talking about medicare, well as John said we're not going to have that so it's a moot point. What about the terrorism thing?

You can't have it all man. Sometimes, in life, you have to make tough decisions. Like choosing between a lighter and liquor for your cig case.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
+329|6666|NJ

Jay wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

You can't have it all man. Sometimes, in life, you have to make tough decisions. Like choosing between a lighter and liquor for your cig case.
Damnit why can't the government step in and fix this problem. Maybe they'll create jobs and make money doing so..
11 Bravo
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

What about the terrorism thing?
well duh.  if you over tax you do more harm.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

presidentsheep wrote:

Putting tobacco in plain packets does nothing to stop people buying it. Same when they stopped them from advertising, it just saved them money they were wasting.
True, smoker will smoke, even if pack are disgusting, i smoke and pack are somewhat disgusting over here...does not stop me...even if i would like to stop that shit
cpt.fass1
+329|6666|NJ

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

So funding terrorism is better then this "Drain" on health insurance?
11 Bravo
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

i dont think it is over taxed yet.  i mean people still buy smokes at stores every day.
cpt.fass1
+329|6666|NJ

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

i dont think it is over taxed yet.  i mean people still buy smokes at stores every day.
In New Jersey and New York it defiantly is. I know people who buy packs from a guy in Brooklyn for 6 dollars. They've already started reporting on looking at the tax stamps on the bottom of the pack.

It's already here and you don't even have to do anything high profile to succeed at it.
11 Bravo
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

In New Jersey and New York it defiantly is. I know people who buy packs from a guy in Brooklyn for 6 dollars. They've already started reporting on looking at the tax stamps on the bottom of the pack.

It's already here and you don't even have to do anything high profile to succeed at it.
black market cigs aint anything new dude

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-06-21 19:55:48)

cpt.fass1
+329|6666|NJ

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

You know how you should know your government is fucking up?

It's helping dangerous organizations find funding.
11 Bravo
Banned

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

you mean like the mortgage business you work in?
cpt.fass1
+329|6666|NJ

11 Bravo wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

you mean like the mortgage business you work in?
Yup I do, and alot of the dangerous people in my business have been getting locked up(I know a decent amount in this state), which is why I"m glad I'm staight laced. Take all the shots you want at me but I've turned down alot of business in my life.

But anyway why do we work in such a stupid way. We put a law enforcement agent who's son was killed by a Sovereign Citizen to lead the task force against Sovereign Citizen. These anti smoking laws are pushed though without common sense but thro crying widows and they're stupid "dead baby" laws.
11 Bravo
Banned
its pictures dude.  get a grip.  this isnt waco.
tuckergustav
+1,590|5883|...

and the mighty cigarette companies aren't doing anything to stop it because they are making just as much money as they ever were.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Again: I'm pretty sure this is aimed at preventing people from starting smoking than it is stopping current smokers. If current smokers want to quit they know how, if they don't then there's nothing stopping them from buying smokes. If you're really distressed by a few ugly pictures than buy a cigarette pack case or a cigarette case. To be honest I think a smoker coping with a few pictures is worth it if the same pictures prevent other people from starting smoking in the first place. Jay, you said yourself that you would have preferred never to have started smoking. What if all it took to turn you off the idea was a nasty picture?

And again, (again,) this is different from suggesting the same thing should be done to fast food. I constantly say this but there is nothing at all wrong with fast food. I mean what are the worst things in a Big Mac? Sugar, fat, and salt. All staples and necessities for the human diet. The problem is when people eat too much of it - but that's the same for everything. Eat too many carrots and you'll turn yellow for example. But compare this to the ingredients of a cigarette. Absolutely nothing in there is beneficial to the human body. It is not the same as regulating food, food is regulated to ensure its not poisonous. Cigarettes are poisonous.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6547|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Ty wrote:

Again: I'm pretty sure this is aimed at preventing people from starting smoking than it is stopping current smokers. If current smokers want to quit they know how, if they don't then there's nothing stopping them from buying smokes. If you're really distressed by a few ugly pictures than buy a cigarette pack case or a cigarette case. To be honest I think a smoker coping with a few pictures is worth it if the same pictures prevent other people from starting smoking in the first place. Jay, you said yourself that you would have preferred never to have started smoking. What if all it took to turn you off the idea was a nasty picture?

And again, (again,) this is different from suggesting the same thing should be done to fast food. I constantly say this but there is nothing at all wrong with fast food. I mean what are the worst things in a Big Mac? Sugar, fat, and salt. All staples and necessities for the human diet. The problem is when people eat too much of it - but that's the same for everything. Eat too many carrots and you'll turn yellow for example. But compare this to the ingredients of a cigarette. Absolutely nothing in there is beneficial to the human body. It is not the same as regulating food, food is regulated to ensure its not poisonous. Cigarettes are poisonous.
Only "good" side i can see of smoking cigarettes is that it can relax you when you feel stressed.

Not really worth it if you look at all the down side tho.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
dont smokers also pay taxes which in turn... pay for their own medicare shit? derp.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

Jay wrote:

tuckergustav wrote:

Jay wrote:

So you'd be ok if they went and passed a new tax that tripled the cost of getting your nails done? You wouldn't complain?
Would you feel bad for me?

...and of course I would complain...I complain about everything.  But, I would probably not get them done anymore. Shoot, triple the cost?  Not worth it.
Yes, I would feel bad for you, and I'd probably fight for you too. I don't agree with singling out behaviors and tacking on costs to them just to get people to stop. They might as well ban the behavior outright (and that's worked wonderfully well for controlling alcohol and drug use). It's like the stupid tax they just tacked onto tanning salons. If you deter them from going to the tanning bed they'll just go outside in the sun...
They don't ban it outright because they can't ban it outright, due to that whole addiction thing. I think, in general, most of us would want cigarettes to not exist if we started over. It's just not as easy to do when it's already there..
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

dont smokers also pay taxes which in turn... pay for their own medicare shit? derp.
nope.  like i said a lot of people dont really pay that much in taxes.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

you mean federal tax? cause i dont know how you could not pay state and local through sales tax...
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

you mean federal tax? cause i dont know how you could not pay state and local through sales tax...
A good portion of US income tax revenue comes from wealthier people. I think if you're married with two kids you can make up to like $50,000 and end up having very little tax burden because of all the tax breaks, credits and deductions. It's pretty redonkulous yo
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

people like me pay for other peoples stuff just because i make more.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6621|USA

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/new-graphic-cigarette-warnings-unveiled/2011/06/21/AG0NaGeH_story.html

I'm wondering where the pictures of scarred livers and dead people are on beer cans? After all, smoking is pretty bad for ME, but I don't think any amount of smoking will do this to an innocent person:

http://deardrunkdriver.com/images/8.jpg

Or perhaps images of a diseased heart on all McDonalds wrappers? Perhaps a little sticker on guns that says "Do not use when angry!"

First they took away flavored cigarettes, now this. They'll probably finally get rid of menthols next despite, no joke, opposition from the Congressional Black Caucus. Then in time we'll just have generic white packages that say "MARLBORO" or "CAMEL."
I can't agree with legislation that forces a company to trash a product they are trying to sell. This is legislating morality. People know by now what cigarettes can do to them, and they make their choices.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard