Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6519|San Diego, CA, USA
“I think he is absolutely the genuine article. That’s why we won’t ever go back to the status quo, at least not under Chris Christie’s governorship.”

Just finished reading this article:

Chris Christie: The Scourge of Trenton

and am amazed at how a die-hard Conservative can prevail over a Democratically controlled congress in a state that suffers from overtaxation (115 tax increases by Democrats) and capital flight (business investments leaving the state) in the middle of the worst recession in a generation.

A person like Chris Christie gives me hope that we can reverse the damage that the Democrats are doing to our country.

What say you?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5329|London, England

Harmor wrote:

“I think he is absolutely the genuine article. That’s why we won’t ever go back to the status quo, at least not under Chris Christie’s governorship.”

and am amazed at how a die-hard Conservative can prevail over a Democratically controlled congress in a state that suffers from overtaxation (115 tax increases by Democrats) and capital flight (business investments leaving the state) in the middle of the worst recession in a generation.

A person like Chris Christie gives me hope that we can reverse the damage that the Democrats are doing to our country.

What say you?
You'd call him a RINO if he ran on the national stage.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I'm curious what you think after reading that article.  What he has done so far for the state of New Jersey is a marvel.  I wish we had someone like him in the State of California right now.  I'm voting for Jerry Brown (Democrat) here in California instead of the Meg Whitman (we call her 'Nutmeg' because of her mutli-positions and wishy-washy double speak).
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6471|so randum
change we can believe in
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6376|North Carolina
Christie might be benefiting from what you mentioned -- high taxation.   New Jersey isn't as blue as you'd think, and while they may lean Democratic on the national stage, high taxes do take a toll on people's view of government.

Especially in hard economic times, lowering taxes is very tempting.  Since conservatives are usually more willing to lower taxes than liberals, Republicans tend to benefit some when the economy trends downward in a highly taxed area.

The only catch is that you have to lower spending when you lower taxes.  If Christie can lower spending to compensate for NJ's debts while still lowering taxes and maintaining his popularity, he'll have a good shot at running for the U.S. Senate eventually.

Granted, all that is easier said than done.  Cutting taxes is the easy part -- cutting spending is where both parties have trouble.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

I'm curious what you think after reading that article.  What he has done so far for the state of New Jersey is a marvel.  I wish we had someone like him in the State of California right now.  I'm voting for Jerry Brown (Democrat) here in California instead of the Meg Whitman (we call her 'Nutmeg' because of her mutli-positions and wishy-washy double speak).
I'm aware of what Christie has done. He's from the state next door and we share newspapers. It's a good article but the fact still remains that everyone outside of the northeast would label him a RINO. 90% of the Republican party doesn't give a shit about fixing economics, they care about their god and their guns. If the guy doesn't thank god for every good or bad thing, Fox and Fox's base, will be all over his ass on the national stage.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

Christie might be benefiting from what you mentioned -- high taxation.   New Jersey isn't as blue as you'd think, and while they may lean Democratic on the national stage, high taxes do take a toll on people's view of government.

Especially in hard economic times, lowering taxes is very tempting.  Since conservatives are usually more willing to lower taxes than liberals, Republicans tend to benefit some when the economy trends downward in a highly taxed area.

The only catch is that you have to lower spending when you lower taxes.  If Christie can lower spending to compensate for NJ's debts while still lowering taxes and maintaining his popularity, he'll have a good shot at running for the U.S. Senate eventually.

Granted, all that is easier said than done.  Cutting taxes is the easy part -- cutting spending is where both parties have trouble.
He didn't cut taxes... yet. All he did was stop further tax increases and balance a budget that was $7.1B in the hole via some drastic, albeit temporary, cuts. He's got a Democratic House and Assembly to deal with so actually putting through permanent cuts is going to be an uphill battle with a ten ton barbell strapped to his back.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

He didn't cut taxes... yet. All he did was stop further tax increases and balance a budget that was $7.1B in the hole via some drastic, albeit temporary, cuts. He's got a Democratic House and Assembly to deal with so actually putting through permanent cuts is going to be an uphill battle with a ten ton barbell strapped to his back.
True...  but I think it is possible to cut the fat out of the budget under conditions that are too blatant to ignore.  New Jersey isn't as bad off as some other states, but the situation is still dire enough that I think Christie could possibly convince the legislature to trim the budget some in a more permanent manner.

Ultimately, it's in both parties' interests to turn the economy around.  If Christie can prove that cutting the budget would improve NJ's economy, then some bipartisan progress could be made.  Generally speaking, when the economy improves, the chances of getting re-elected improve significantly -- something politicians of both parties have an interest in.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

True...  but I think it is possible to cut the fat out of the budget under conditions that are too blatant to ignore.  New Jersey isn't as bad off as some other states, but the situation is still dire enough that I think Christie could possibly convince the legislature to trim the budget some in a more permanent manner.

Ultimately, it's in both parties' interests to turn the economy around.  If Christie can prove that cutting the budget would improve NJ's economy, then some bipartisan progress could be made.  Generally speaking, when the economy improves, the chances of getting re-elected improve significantly -- something politicians of both parties have an interest in.
Read the article. It's long but worth it.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Also, you live in a Right to Work state. How deeply entrenched and how powerful the unions are in the states up here can not adequately be described unless you live here. Try to freeze a local school budget and the school board will immediately terminate all after school programs, including sports, the teachers will sit in class and tell their students to beg their parents to vote against the budget freeze. They'll use any tactic possible to get the kids to do their dirty work for them. They will run multi-million dollar ad campaigns, protest at the drop of a hat and generally make everyones life miserable while claiming poverty. Nevermind that the teachers in my home town work eight months out of the year and pull in six figure salaries. Nevermind that the system is set up so that the gym teacher makes the same pay as the physics teacher. That last ones not even relevant, I just think it's absurd.

In New York, the union sponsored political party is called the Working Families Party (trap name if there ever was one). Good luck even getting through a primary without their endorsement.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-04 21:47:11)

-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Also, you live in a Right to Work state. How deeply entrenched and how powerful the unions are in the states up here can not adequately be described unless you live here. Try to freeze a local school budget and the school board will immediately terminate all after school programs, including sports, the teachers will sit in class and tell their students to beg their parents to vote against the budget freeze. They'll use any tactic possible to get the kids to do their dirty work for them. They will run multi-million dollar ad campaigns, protest at the drop of a hat and generally make everyones life miserable while claiming poverty. Nevermind that the teachers in my home town work eight months out of the year and pull in six figure salaries. Nevermind that the system is set up so that the gym teacher makes the same pay as the physics teacher. That last ones not even relevant, I just think it's absurd.

In New York, the union sponsored political party is called the Working Families Party (trap name if there ever was one). Good luck even getting through a primary without their endorsement.
I understand that unions are powerful up north, but it seems insane that they would do more to push business away from NJ.

It amazes me that so much business stays in NJ despite the taxes.  I know a lot of their everyday citizens have been moving down south, but as a state, NJ still is very productive.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I disagree.  From what he has done so far he is not a RINO (Republican In Name Only).  He's definiately a Fiscal Conservative and does in fact care about fixing the structural problems in New Jersey - his first budget proved that.

I think you have it reversed where the Republicans in the northeast are in fact the RINOs.  I believe more than 10% of Registered Republicans want do something about "fixing economics". 

There are social Conservatives in both parties (more in Republican party though), like the anti-abortionists, that put God above all else. 

I have not seen anything usual in Fox News or Fox Business News reporting that would lead me to believe he would be butchered if he ever decides to enter the national stage (remember I visit Fox New and Fox Business News websites each day :-)  ).
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

He doesn't want to overturn Roe v Wade. He isn't trying to overturn the states tough gun laws. He isn't in support of an Arizona immigration type law. He supports medical marijuana. Like John said he, Chris would be defeated in a primary to someone endorsed by Palin.

In any case, he has no plans to run for nation office. When asked if he had plans to run for national office he was quoted as saying along the lines of "I have to make money after this. I have two kids I have to put in college." Now if Harmor could find someone to pay for Christies kids college, I think you may have a chance...

Last edited by Macbeth (2010-08-05 16:03:04)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Harmor wrote:

What say you?
Agreed, there are glimmers of hope out there. Out of Florida it is Marco Rubio
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Cute source.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

Jay wrote:

Cute source.
This. And I read HP daily.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
I mean all the article really told me is that the teachers unions non-stop ad campaign against Christie is working with women voters. Maybe they're more prone to feelings-based propaganda? I see attack ads directed at Christie at least two or three times a day and I don't even live in the state. From my perspective he was dealt a pretty shitty hand upon entering office and he's done about as well as could be imagined to reign in the debt and stop the policies that were driving New Jersey businesses and homeowners away from the state. Someone had to eventually play hardball with the public service unions and it fell to him to do so in the middle of budgetary nightmares. The teachers and cops should be blaming their own union leaders for being grasping fuckheads that repeatedly asked for and received unsustainable contracts. This is what happens when the people approving those contracts are the same people that were elected by the people that wrote them. I'd vote for the fat man if he ran.
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

I'd vote for the fat man if he ran.
At the rate he's going you will get the chance to in 2016. The Political climate is going to be a mess after 2012 and might make Obama's lameduck a giant dud. He could mount a presidential bid if things in NJ continue to do well along with a boost from some sort of national tragedy happening in NJ or something.

He would have a better shot at the general than any democrat if his legacy is stabilizing NJ's economy. Only thing that could really derail him is a sex, corruption, cheating etc. scandal.

That said- I would vote for ''the fat one''.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5230|foggy bottom
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

I'd vote for the fat man if he ran.
At the rate he's going you will get the chance to in 2016. The Political climate is going to be a mess after 2012 and might make Obama's lameduck a giant dud. He could mount a presidential bid if things in NJ continue to do well along with a boost from some sort of national tragedy happening in NJ or something.

He would have a better shot at the general than any democrat if his legacy is stabilizing NJ's economy. Only thing that could really derail him is a sex, corruption, cheating etc. scandal.

That said- I would vote for ''the fat one''.
He seems like he's a pretty straight shooter. The helicopter to his sons game controversy was probably a learning experience for him
-Frederick Bastiat
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6666|NJ
We'll see if the taxes go down. I also would like to see our fines go down, we live in a state that has worse fines then New York.

What really needs to be down in this state is we have to cut funding to all our ghetto's and let them sort it out for themselves. I'm only one man and I know I'm paying for a family of five in Newark, Camden, Trenton, Passic, Paterson, Phillipsburg, Jersey City and or Dover(I'm sure we have more ghetto but I can't think of them). Our "Cities" are just overpopulated with worseless people

Watch that TV show Campus PD, other states the fine is never over 200 dollars in New Jersey it's never lower then 1000.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2011-06-21 11:34:29)

Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

You lived in Jersey City for too long.

But I agree with the 'too many fines'. Just to get a on scene accident report someone has to get multiple fines.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5556

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie has come out in favor of a good Samaritan law that would allow drug overdose victims to call 911 without fear of legal repercussions, drug policy reform advocates announced on Monday.

Christie's decision to reverse his earlier opposition to the bill paved the way for a compromise measure to pass the state Senate and Assembly by overwhelming bipartisan margins on Monday. New Jersey will join 11 other states and the District of Columbia, which have similar laws, if he signs the bill as expected.

Advocates credited Christie for changing course after facing pressure from Democratic sponsors and drug treatment organizations when he vetoed an earlier version of the bill in October over concerns that it would protect drug dealers.

Roseanne Scotti, the state director for the Drug Policy Alliance, said Christie's move was welcome because he's "the governor with the most public standing to do it as of yet."

Christie's decision is the latest move on drug policy reform for the prominent Republican leader. In 2012, he called the war on drugs a "failure," and he has also expanded drug-court programs that divert low-level offenders from prison to treatment.

"Governor Christie has said some really good things in terms of our drug policies nationally," Scotti said. "In terms of (the good Samaritan law), that epitomized the failure of the war on drugs -- the fact that we prioritize prosecution over saving a life."

There were 752 deaths from drug overdoses in New Jersey in 2009, according to the Drug Policy Alliance. Some of those lives could have been saved, Scotti said, if a good Samaritan law had been in place, since drug users typically don't use alone.

The compromise leaves in place what Scotti calls the essence of the law: protection for people in possession of small amounts of drugs who call 911 for help. A similar law in New York state was credited with saving rock star Jon Bon Jovi's daughter from facing prosecution for drug possession charges after she overdosed on heroin in her college dorm room.

Christie's office reached a compromise with sponsors and advocates on the bill, which specifies that drug traffickers would not be covered under the law, and leaves out several minor provisions. The new version of the bill was then inserted in a related measure to expand access to naloxone, a drug that can reverse opiate drug overdoses.

"Governor Christie is grateful that his concerns on this important issue were heard and incorporated in a bipartisan way," Colin Reed, a Christie spokesman, told The Star-Ledger. "We look forward to reviewing the reworked bill in its final form."
Fat ass is up for reelection and has my support. Though I am still not happy about him blocking gay marriage and making our medical marijuana program strict. Though I wonder what Corzine would have been like if he had the second term.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard