RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6535|Area 51
I used to use my laptop in college for lectures and stuff, it is pretty handy because I can type blindly and still listen to the teacher. However, most of the times I got bored after ~ 30 minutes and the thing just became a distraction.

In my experience they're only really good for having it with you on days where you have to work on your project, if you have a project to start with..otherwise pen + paper should suffice.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

I used my laptop in lectures for facebook
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

I never use my laptop in class, only between classes when i've got work to do and time to kill. Everyone here has laptops, but 99% of lecturers/tutors have banned them.
WTF?

Here at UNSW they let you use them. i mainly just use them to download and look at lecture notes
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia

TheDonkey wrote:

It also has an SD slot which could be used for ReadyBoost, would that actually help or would it be pointless/hurtful with 6gb of ram?
pointless/hurtful.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

I used my laptop during classes to play BF2
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5724|Roma

Jestar wrote:

In my uni they block the wifi in the classes, so you have to be in certain areas of the campus to navigate the web, which is a great thing.

Last edited by aerodynamic (2011-06-20 02:25:50)

https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6737|UK

aerodynamic wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

That way you can space out the entire time?
well, so that sometimes i could fall a sleep for like 5 minutes.
I could have used that
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

aerodynamic wrote:

Jestar wrote:

In my uni they block the wifi in the classes, so you have to be in certain areas of the campus to navigate the web, which is a great thing.
thats fucking stupid, shit aint high school. your loss if you dont do anything.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Uzique wrote:

i dunno what it's like in the computing courses but people that typed during lectures were fucking annoying

pen + paper is pretty good
In my experience people don't even use them for taking notes, just web surfing and exchanging spam.

That or note-taking on a laptop is always hilarious.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4813|Amsterdam
I used mine every day in uni.
Lectures, assignments, you name it. It was easier to type out a lot of shit, rather than write it all down and people taht didnt have one always asked me (or other people that had one) to e-mail them notes, because they didnt feel like writing it all down.
Then again, my uni also had pretty good wifi so all of it could be done rather fast.
Easy to check something on the internet in class (like on wikipedia and shit)

Lots of advantages over pen and paper if you ask me.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

There's an almost mnemonic quality to simply writing something out rather than clacking away at a keyboard. Sharing notes on a regular basis isn't doing anyone long-term favors.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6687

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

i dunno what it's like in the computing courses but people that typed during lectures were fucking annoying

pen + paper is pretty good
In my experience people don't even use them for taking notes, just web surfing and exchanging spam.

i cant read my own writing so yeah lel. i just download lecture notes which are usually powerpoints and i add my own shit.
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6746|Moscow, Russia

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

There's an almost mnemonic quality to simply writing something out rather than clacking away at a keyboard. Sharing notes on a regular basis isn't doing anyone long-term favors.
this^. taking notes is a skill in itself. a very useful one.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pencil on Thinkpad > pen on paper
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone
Depending on the professor, you could just get the lecture notes straight from their computer.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yeah, nobody uses laptops for lectures.  the only ones i see using it are when lecture slides are available.
Errm... out of the 24 odd subjects I did, only 2 or 3 didn't use PP, and that was 5-6 years ago, and most were happy to email you the slides before the lecture, or they were DLed from the uni website.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2011-06-20 07:41:48)

Stimey
­
+786|6090|Ontario | Canada
I used my laptop maybe a grand total of 10 times through uni.
And thats only cause I hdad a computer programming course.
Its way too hard to take math/physics notes on a computer.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6709|Toronto | Canada

DrunkFace wrote:

Depending on the professor, you could just get the lecture notes straight from their computer.

Winston_Churchill wrote:

yeah, nobody uses laptops for lectures.  the only ones i see using it are when lecture slides are available.
Errm... out of the 24 odd subjects I did, only 2 or 3 didn't use PP, and that was 5-6 years ago, and most were happy to email you the slides before the lecture, or they were DLed from the uni website.
errm... thats what i said.  there are plenty of classes that cant have lecture slides due to the nature of the course - ie math, physics, etc.  plus plenty of professors prefer the chalkboard
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5687|Vancouver, BC, Canada

Winston_Churchill wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

errm... thats what i said.  there are plenty of classes that cant have lecture slides due to the nature of the course - ie math, physics, etc.  plus plenty of professors prefer the chalkboard
Don't know about Uni-level physics, but my High School physics teacher used PP slides for notes and it worked out really well.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. It's nice to get some insight on the situation.

This will probably drastically vary per-school, but what are net speeds like?
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

Printing out the lecture notes and annotating them is the way to go.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
I couldn't imagine trying to use a computer for writing out notes in math or physics. I tried writing out my physics formula sheet on my computer one time and it ended up taking about five times as long as it would've taken to do it by hand. Most of my engineering courses didn't even let me use anything more powerful than a TI-35 so pencil and paper was the way to go.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6314

Jenspm wrote:

Printing out the lecture notes and annotating them is the way to go.
This totally. I stopped using my laptop completely, always ended up surfing.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England
However, torrenting the .pdf file of your textbook and using your laptop for that will save you thousands of dollars in textbooks.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

I probably wouldn't have survived my ethics class without my laptop. Thank you MS Hearts.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

max wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pencil on Thinkpad > pen on paper
an extremely over-engineered and expensive solution to a problem that has been solved for 4 centuries, anyway.

if people survived in university before mini-notebooks, and still managed to attain an education, i'm sure i can do without my ipad or dictaphone
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5672|College Park, MD
I love technology but I much prefer taking notes with a pen/pencil and paper over taking them on a laptop. I think I retain the information better when I do so. Plus I just know I'd get distracted by the internet. It's always funny going to the bathroom and then coming back and walking down the aisles seeing how many laptops are on anything but Word.

Some professors don't even allow laptops unless you have permission from Disabled Student Services. Fine by me tbh.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard