Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5332|Sydney
Just booked in 3 nights at Yosemite NP

I've had it recommended to me to fly from PHX to RNO, hire a car and drive to Yosemite from there., stopping by Lake Tahoe for a couple hours, and Bodie State Historic Park to look at a ghost town or two, making a few stops along the Tioga Pass to arrive at Yosemite Valley for late afternoon check in. From there We've been recommended to spend a day in Yosemite Valley and the final day check out Glacier Point on the way to San Francisco.

Nothing is set in stone, other than the three nights accom I've just booked. What do you guys reckon of that rough itinerary?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

whoever gave you that recommendation should have a couple of bucks thrown on the nightstand.

because you just got fucked.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I only bought the accom. No flights or car rental yet.

I can even cancel the accom and only lose my deposit, which is like $40 or something.

Another idea was to fly to Sacramento and drive from there.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-21 21:08:10)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6651

look, all i'm saying is look at a map. don't take anyones rec as gospel, not even mine.
time and distance are two different things - the same trip could be hours different, if there were say, a forest fire. which has happened to me.

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/21025/ss/centralcal.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Yeah thanks. I have looked and it is my understanding a direct drive from Reno to YNP is around 4.5 - 5 hours, whilst Sacramento to YNP is around 2.5 hours?

I didn't even think of forest fires. We get them here in Australia every summer but due to me living in a sub-tropical climate the past 4 years it never happens (wet season) so it didn't even occur to me. Are they often?

Also, what would you suggest we do? I'm just gathering as much info/suggestions/ideas/recs so I can make my own decision on the matter.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Need to get a T-Mobile sim card, cut it to micro sim size and away I go.

Saw there is a $70 pre-paid that gives you 2gb data.

Is this something I can buy online before I go or should I just pick one up at a store somewhere?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

Jaekus wrote:

Yeah thanks. I have looked and it is my understanding a direct drive from Reno to YNP is around 4.5 - 5 hours, whilst Sacramento to YNP is around 2.5 hours?

I didn't even think of forest fires. We get them here in Australia every summer but due to me living in a sub-tropical climate the past 4 years it never happens (wet season) so it didn't even occur to me. Are they often?

Also, what would you suggest we do? I'm just gathering as much info/suggestions/ideas/recs so I can make my own decision on the matter.
socal (OC/LA) to Yosemite is about 8 hours.  PHX to LA is about 6 hours.  As often is the case when planning vacations, you need to weigh the importance of time as opposed to money.  If you have the extra money, fly to Sac/SF/San Jose/Oakland and drive.  If you don't have the money and have extra time, drive it.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I've already booked all flights now. Just gotta organise the rest of the accom and car hire.

Any knowledge on my question regarding T-Mobile?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

you're trying to put a t-mobile sim card in your iphone? won't work as far as i know
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

at the least you'd have to jailbreak your phone if you haven't already

either way you could buy online or in stores.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I've already got my phone legitimately unlocked by my telco, Optus (they forwarded it to Apple and then confirmed it was now unlocked so I could use it with a different sim card overseas).

I've got an iPhone 4 but I've already read up how to cut the mini sim into a micro sim, and all reports say it works like a charm.

Thanks for that, I might see how I can get it online and then activate it once my plane touches down in LA.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
I've booked some hostels.

Clearly I've booked at USA Hostel Hollywood for all the right reasons

https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263735_10150347945039937_642529936_10011116_4527904_n.jpg
ghettoperson
+1,943|6803

What kind of hostel has its own limo?
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
It must be hired.

I booked at USA Hostels Hollywood.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6868|US
Hm...yeah, in the US, hostels are not viewed in the same light as in Europe.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6821

RAIMIUS wrote:

Hm...yeah, in the US, hostels are not viewed in the same light as in Europe.
Yeah, you damn tourists always partying and getting drunk in our streets.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
So... all accommodation is now booked

Here's the breakdown:

5 nights in Las Vegas
1 night in Sedona
1 night in Phoenix
1 night in Lee Vining
2 nights in Yosemite Valley
5 nights in San Francisco
1 night in Monterey
1 night in Pismo Beach
3 nights in Hollywood
2 nights in Santa Monica
Fly home.

I managed to book a Dodge Charger, one way from Vegas to Phoenix for a 48 period and it only cost $120 with GPS and no one way drop fee.

Four day car hire (Pontiac G5) from Reno to San Francisco, no one way drop fee, $180.

Now just organising a Mustang convertible (or similar) from SF to LA...
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Flying out in a little over 48 hours. Can't sleep
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

weather's great in cali right now.  should be nice
Eagle
Togs8896 is my evil alter ego
+567|6785|New Hampshire, USA
Meh USAs ok I guess

loljk have fun
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/14407/Sig_Pats.jpg
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Awesome

I've noticed Vegas has been pretty warm, but I guess it's always hot this time of year. Have you guys still got that heat wave going on?
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

vegas and az have been hot hot hot.  sf/yosemite area should be around 70.  right now in orange county really close to the beach it's about 75-80 id guess.
Jaekus
+957|5332|Sydney
Sweet, sounds awesome

I've really planned the travel and accom well but actual activities are completely up in the air, deliberately so. Anything in particular I should really do whilst in Vegas/SF/LA?
gurdeep
­
+812|4909|proll­y
play poker; don't play blackjack, craps, roulette, or slots
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6786|949

in LA you should go to Venice Beach and maybe the Grove (huge outdoor farmers market) and while you're in Santa Monica go to the 3rd street promenade. SF has cool places down by pier 39

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard