Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

burnzz wrote:

Kmar wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

And NT and 2008. I consider those another animal.
NT good. No?
if you liked to reboot early and often. and Vista, with UAC - "You moved your mouse, allow or deny?" jesus, M$ - for this people showered you with ca$h?
I got a buddy that dug it. Network administer for Cisco now I think. I never really had the urge to install it.

I think they fixed the uac thing in vista with one of the first updates. Vista was largely unpolished though. It really felt like it was rushed out.. there were major driver issues for a very long time.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5710|College Park, MD
I think even Windows 7 is still based on NT, isn't it?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

anyone who bought vista should've been given win 7 for free.

@hurricane - no, not really.

Last edited by burnzz (2011-06-01 20:28:42)

Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

burnzz wrote:

anyone who bought vista should've been given win 7 for free.
True .. or even just made the upgrade like 20 bucks. Shit, they would probably made more money that way.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

AussieReaper wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

or more accurately to start the shut down process

owned ^
You can't say owned in response to your own retort. I think it's a unwritten rule.
Don't you mean "an" unwritten rule?

pwned^@!!1
School is out for me.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

I'm happy enough to pay for Windows 7. Never bought Vista, but three laptops lying around have it installed.
Benzin
+576|6006
Given that this is only an early demo and the only thing that it was really being demo'd on were touchscreen devices, I don't know that we can accurately judge it. I think for anything with a touchscreen it will be absolutely brilliant. Instead of having two very distinct operating systems for mobile like Apple has, Microsoft will be blending it more. I imagine with Windows Phone 8 we'll see the line between the phone and the tablet/PC versions of Windows really blur.

Kmar wrote:

Vista was largely unpolished though. It really felt like it was rushed out.. there were major driver issues for a very long time.
The driver issues were more because Microsoft completely introduced a new kernel, iirc. If you'll notice, Vista drivers work in Win7 flawlessly because they share a lot of the same architecture. The difference is optimization, pure and simple.
jaymz9350
+54|6585

CapnNismo wrote:

Kmar wrote:

Vista was largely unpolished though. It really felt like it was rushed out.. there were major driver issues for a very long time.
The driver issues were more because Microsoft completely introduced a new kernel, iirc. If you'll notice, Vista drivers work in Win7 flawlessly because they share a lot of the same architecture. The difference is optimization, pure and simple.
Yep, if 7 would have came first I would bet it would have all the bad rap Vista did/does , and by the way most driver issues are the manufactures fault/problem not Microsofts.

I still love listening to people trash Vista to this day, I personally find it a solid OS and yes I do tweak it a little but I did the same with XP.  You couldn't pay me to put XP on my computer ever again.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

I'm not trashing it. I'm just saying Windows 7 was everything Vista should've been. I've been migrating from OS to OS for two decades now. I'm familiar with what a new kernel means. It still seems that the driver issues were an extraordinary let down when Vista was released. That's why it stands out.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Benzin
+576|6006

Kmar wrote:

I'm not trashing it. I'm just saying Windows 7 was everything Vista should've been. I've been migrating from OS to OS for two decades now. I'm familiar with what a new kernel means. It still seems that the driver issues were an extraordinary let down when Vista was released. That's why it stands out.
The drivers had nothing to do with Microsoft, though, Kmar. It was all on the lack of OS support from the manufacturers of products that was the problem. Win7 is what Vista should have been, but in the time that Vista was on the market, a lot of hardware progress was made in terms of graphics processing, especially on less powerful hardware. Look at Intel's integrated graphics. At Vista's launch they were HORRIBLE but now they're not all that bad. Look at ION and ION2, too. None of it was around at Vista's launch and for all intents and purposes, Win7 still uses Aero and computer can run it just fine now. XP had the same problems when it was launched - the hardware wasn't ready and it led to a slow adoption.

Last edited by CapnNismo (2011-06-02 02:47:22)

Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4850|Amsterdam
I have vista.
Right now, i dont have any problems with it, but when it first came out it was a turd.
cba to install win7. Installing a new windows or getting a new pc is always such a hassle. I still find programs that i used to have and then need for months. Takes a long ass time to get it all back to how it used to be software wise.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Kampframmer wrote:

I have vista.
Right now, i dont have any problems with it, but when it first came out it was a turd.
cba to install win7. Installing a new windows or getting a new pc is always such a hassle. I still find programs that i used to have and then need for months. Takes a long ass time to get it all back to how it used to be software wise.
W7 rapes Vista so much though. It's worth the upgrade and the hassle.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4850|Amsterdam

Zimmer wrote:

Kampframmer wrote:

I have vista.
W7 rapes Vista so much though. It's worth the upgrade and the hassle.
thats what i thought. So lately i have been thinking of upgrading. Seems that there is a way of upgrading that keeps all your programs where tehy are. I belioeve it does take like 24h to install.
I asked Menzo to look into it for me. But i often dont use any of the 'upgrades' a new windows has to offer. Mst of the time a new windows just looks better and some of the menu's become easier to navigate.

So what makes win7 so much better exactly?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6764|Scotland

Faster, less compatibility problems, safer, faster faster faster and looks a lot better. Oh, and the search is massively improved from Vista.

I honestly advise a clean install. Backup your program settings and your documents onto another drive and then wipe your hard drive. Doing the "keep your programs" is not a good idea, and you will most likely run into problems.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

CapnNismo wrote:

Kmar wrote:

The drivers had nothing to do with Microsoft, though, Kmar. It was all on the lack of OS support from the manufacturers of products that was the problem. Win7 is what Vista should have been, but in the time that Vista was on the market, a lot of hardware progress was made in terms of graphics processing, especially on less powerful hardware. Look at Intel's integrated graphics. At Vista's launch they were HORRIBLE but now they're not all that bad. Look at ION and ION2, too. None of it was around at Vista's launch and for all intents and purposes, Win7 still uses Aero and computer can run it just fine now. XP had the same problems when it was launched - the hardware wasn't ready and it led to a slow adoption.
MS has a role to play in making sure existing hardware will work with a new os, as well as the hardware manufacturers. Yes, the bottom line is that it's the job of the hardware manf. But MS does have an economic interest in making sure that they are ready to support as much existing hardware as possible. I just find it hard to believe that they aren't working closely together.

I certainly don't remember that many problems with XP's launch. However, the difference could be that when Vista came out there was a greater, more diverse technology market to accommodate. That makes more logical sense tbh.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4850|Amsterdam

Zimmer wrote:

Faster, less compatibility problems, safer, faster faster faster and looks a lot better. Oh, and the search is massively improved from Vista.

I honestly advise a clean install. Backup your program settings and your documents onto another drive and then wipe your hard drive. Doing the "keep your programs" is not a good idea, and you will most likely run into problems.
guess i'll have to go through the hassle then

seems wort it though if all the things you named are true
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6780|PNW

Kmar wrote:

Windows 7 sorta stands on Windows Vista's shoulders as far as drivers are concerned. This late in its life, I'm pretty satisfied with Vista.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6505

CapnNismo wrote:

The difference is optimization, pure and simple.
stay away from my computers. kthxbai
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6422|Finland

A lot of driver issues related to Vista were actually related to 64bit, not Vista. That is what happens when you do a lot of changes at one time.

That said I used 64bit Vista for years and never had any problems.

e: I used to have 64bit XP before that and it was much worse in every way. For me, Vista really was a big step forward.

Last edited by GC_PaNzerFIN (2011-06-02 12:42:05)

3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6675

GC_PaNzerFIN wrote:

A lot of driver issues related to Vista were actually related to 64bit, not Vista. That is what happens when you do a lot of changes at one time.

That said I used 64bit Vista for years and never had any problems.
Pfft.  I got by with XP 64 bit for years without any major issues.  It was my Far Cry and BF2 rig.
Benzin
+576|6006
I'm wondering if Microsoft are going to be doing any real major overhauls with Win8 other than the UI. I'm actually really glad that it's releasing in 2012, too, because then that means I'll still be able to buy it with my student license.

burnzz wrote:

CapnNismo wrote:

The difference is optimization, pure and simple.
stay away from my computers. kthxbai
lolwut?
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6783|Moscow, Russia
interesting indeed. i really really didn't like the direction microsoft had been moving lately. i'm still skeptical, but maybe they'll make something happen with windows_next.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6609|132 and Bush

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Looks like they're taking the Apple route of dumbing shit down.
Are you talking about tiles over icons?
Xbone Stormsurgezz

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard