13/f/taiwan
+940|5733
why do they charge out of state students way more?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5393|London, England

13/f/taiwan wrote:

Because in state tuition is subsidized by taxpayers and because they can.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5733
i can't wait until i get my degree and start working. all this running around, doing school work and taking side jobs is taking a toll on me. do employers really believe that a degree automatically makes someone smarter?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5736|College Park, MD

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

this, pretty much.

doesn't do much to keep the guidos from NJ/NY out, sadly
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

And get this, the illegals here in Cali have been trying for years to get in-state rates.  Nevermind that would mean screwing legal out-of-state students even more.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

And get this, the illegals here in Cali have been trying for years to get in-state rates.  Nevermind that would mean screwing legal out-of-state students even more.
If they're paying state income tax then they should get in-state tuition... IJS...
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

In Maryland they passed the DREAM act, so now they can.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
+32|6641|Stockholm, Sweden
Wow, you guys have been replying faster than rabbits procreate.

Ilocano wrote:

Hawaii is over-rated.  If your choices are only CSULB or CSUF, pick CSULB.  CSULB is the beach lifestyle (yes, the beach is just there), plus everything else that is SoCal.  Do not go to CSUF, unless you like being bored as hell.  CSULB does actually have pretty good Computer Science/Engineering programs, and interesting enough, a good Radio and Television program as well.

Neither are big sports colleges, so not much as far as reps though.  Have you also considered USC or UCLA?
Any other schools are out of the question, unfortunately. When I started looking at schools back in january/february it was too late to apply for a lot of programs in many schools around California. Like UCLA, UCSB, UCSD etc. CSULB is the place I would most likely enjoy, with the beach and everything. When it comes to sports I don't really care that much, I work out at the gym and run so it doesnt really matter if they have a basket ball team or not.

Macbeth wrote:

Hawaii has a high cost of living but Cali isn't cheap either. As for the value of the degrees- go for the master in computer science in Cali. I'm not sure how it is in Sweden but if you want to be employed in the U.S. you have a better shot with a masters in computer science than with a masters in communications.
You're probably very right about that, and there are tons of jobs in IT here in Sweden as well. Although I'm not worried about not getting a job when I'm done, whether I stay in the US or move back.

When I was deciding what I wanted to study I considered doing an MBA but it just seems a little overrated and honestly I'm not very interested in studying business like that. It's also a lot more expensive than almost all other programs.

The tuition is about the same for all of the three schools I mentioned, around 5-7k a semester.

Last edited by Snorkelfarsan (2011-06-01 13:25:36)

Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

If they're paying state income tax then they should get in-state tuition... IJS...
"if".
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Ilocano wrote:

Jay wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

"if".
Unless they're working off the books, they're paying taxes. There's plenty of legal citizens that work off the books and don't pay a penny in taxes either...
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Snorkelfarsan wrote:

Wow, you guys have been replying faster than rabbits procreate.

Ilocano wrote:

Hawaii is over-rated.  If your choices are only CSULB or CSUF, pick CSULB.  CSULB is the beach lifestyle (yes, the beach is just there), plus everything else that is SoCal.  Do not go to CSUF, unless you like being bored as hell.  CSULB does actually have pretty good Computer Science/Engineering programs, and interesting enough, a good Radio and Television program as well.

Neither are big sports colleges, so not much as far as reps though.  Have you also considered USC or UCLA?
Any other schools are out of the question, unfortunately. When I started looking at schools back in january/february it was too late to apply for a lot of programs in many schools around California. Like UCLA, UCSB, UCSD etc. CSULB is the place I would most likely enjoy, with the beach and everything. When it comes to sports I don't really care that much, I work out at the gym and run so it doesnt really matter if they have a basket ball team or not.

Macbeth wrote:

Hawaii has a high cost of living but Cali isn't cheap either. As for the value of the degrees- go for the master in computer science in Cali. I'm not sure how it is in Sweden but if you want to be employed in the U.S. you have a better shot with a masters in computer science than with a masters in communications.
You're probably very right about that, and there are tons of jobs in IT here in Sweden as well. Although I'm not worried about not getting a job when I'm done, whether I stay in the US or move back.

When I was deciding what I wanted to study I considered doing an MBA but it just seems a little overrated and honestly I'm not very interested in studying business like that. It's also a lot more expensive than almost all other programs.

The tuition is about the same for all of the three schools I mentioned, around 5-7k a semester.
Why the west coast? Could've gone to school here in New York for much less.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6532

Jay wrote:

Why the west coast? Could've gone to school here in New York for much less.
he's chasing tail.
swedes are west coasters.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
Our DREAM Act states that your family  has to have paid state taxes for the past three years or more, and that you have to go to community college for your first two years.

Honestly, I think the "omg its unfair to out of state students" argument is specious... they don't pay state income taxes.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

IKEA.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Haha, true story.

I did live in NYC for three months a couple of years ago and really liked it. But I wanna live where it's warm all year round, I'm fucking sick of the winter and pale skin. So I had my mind set on Cali from the start. I was actually admitted to University of Technology in Sydney in Australia but I'd much rather live in the US, to be honest.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
It's 33C here today, son
-Frederick Bastiat
13/f/taiwan
+940|5733
only during may, june, july and august.
Snorkelfarsan
Soup Boy
Yeah, that's why I said all year round. Granted, NY is great in the summer but pretty cold for 6 months, and that's not very different from home.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I miss the snow
-Frederick Bastiat
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6702

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I miss the snow
In Buffalo?
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I miss the snow
I bet a beer that at some point during the winter you bitched about the cold and how you wanted it to be warm.

After I graduate I'm strongly contemplating Seattle.
13/f/taiwan
+940|5733
i don't get how people can prefer heat over cold. only time i would want warm weather is if i have a day off. plenty of activities to do in the sun.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
I don't get how people can prefer either. DC in the spring and fall is fantastic, but that's it. Early and late (as in nearly spring) winter is bearable but not fantastic.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

Jay wrote:

13/f/taiwan wrote:

I miss the snow
I bet a beer that at some point during the winter you bitched about the cold and how you wanted it to be warm.

After I graduate I'm strongly contemplating Seattle.
No way. I never bitch about the cold. At least if you're cold you can put on more layers. If it's hot and sticky it fucking blows. You either swelter or you sit inside in the AC all day (which makes having hot weather pointless in the first place).
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard