Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5356|London, England

Jaekus wrote:

If you read the article the government has lost ground based on nuclear issues in recent elections:

And it is a humbling U-turn for Merkel, who at the end of 2010 decided to extend the lifetime of Germany's 17 reactors by an average of 12 years, which would have kept them open until the mid-2030s.

That decision was unpopular in Germany even before the earthquake and tsunami in March that severely damaged the Fukushima nuclear facility in Japan, prompting Merkel's review of nuclear policy.

Her zig-zagging on what since the 1970s has been a highly emotive issue in the country has cost her at the ballot box.

Merkel herself has blamed the Fukushima nuclear disaster for recent defeats in state elections.

In the latest, on May 23, the anti-nuclear Greens pushed her conservative party into third place in a vote in the northern state of Bremen, the first time they had scored more votes than the conservatives in a regional or federal election.
I swear that after two world wars, all the non-pussies in Germany were naturally selected out of the population. Germany today is what we're left with.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5257|foggy bottom
thorium
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5699|College Park, MD
Deutschland uber lame
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Lots and lots of hamsters.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Jewish labor
i lol'd
13/f/taiwan
+940|5696
i don't think we have any germans on this forum.
11 Bravo
Banned
we do/did
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS
Schuss is one, can't remember others offhand
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466
It's hilarious, because coal and gas kill way more people than nuclear
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6672|Canberra, AUS

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

By nuclear radiation alone, no less.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

not sure if srs

that is true but when there is a nuclear emergency................ill take my chances with coal
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such

11 Bravo wrote:

not sure if srs

that is true but when there is a nuclear emergency................ill take my chances with coal
coal plants produce waste 100 times more radioactive than nuclear from what I remember?

e: we're still talking radiation that is not even close to dangerous levels though.

Last edited by presidentsheep (2011-05-30 08:27:20)

I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Stimey
­
+786|6118|Ontario | Canada
Why are people so tinfoil hat about nuclear power?
­
­
­
­
­
­
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6466

presidentsheep wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

not sure if srs

coal plants produce waste 100 times more radioactive than nuclear from what I remember?

e: we're still talking radiation that is not even close to dangerous levels though.
I'm not talking about radiation. Coal plants produce large amount of poisonous gases, and coal mining is incredibly dangerous.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such
yup, acid rain, uranium waste, methane gas... there's loads of bad stuff that comes out of coal powered plants.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6435|Germany
the biggest problem with nuclear power is that no one knows what to do with the nuclear fuel rods once they cant be used in power plants anymore. the half life of the stuff is longer than any reasonable guesses about political frames. it plays in geological timescales in which it still is dangerous.

while the energy is cheap and on the first view less harmful than fossil fuels, we as the current generation leave unimaginable amounts of radioactive stuff for thousands of future generations without having the slightest idea how to make it less dangerous. this is what I think most Germans don't like about nuclear power. At least I do.

Of course burning more fossil fuels can't be the solution to the threat of power shortage. Yet, with 10 or 11 more years to study and develop ways of getting power from renewable sources, I see a good chance of turning off all nuclear plants without any problems.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Stimey wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_ … _accidents
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Mile_Island_accident

Because even one accident occurring is pretty devastating. You can't say it will never happen, because it has happened.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5471|Ventura, California

Stimey wrote:

Meh, my guess is they've played the Chernobyl part of CoD4 too many times or they're afraid a tsunami and earthquake will come cripple their plants since the Japanese got pretty screwed.

Isn't Germany pretty free of natural disasters? It's not like they get hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes. or flooding.

Paranoid Nazis
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5959|Places 'n such
MOX fuel helps. Other than that, yeah it's hard to store.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Stimey wrote:

Meh, my guess is they've played the Chernobyl part of CoD4 too many times or they're afraid a tsunami and earthquake will come cripple their plants since the Japanese got pretty screwed.

Isn't Germany pretty free of natural disasters? It's not like they get hurricanes, earthquakes, tsunamis, tornadoes. or flooding.

Paranoid Nazis
If you use the word Nazis, or make further 'jokes' about Jews and Germany I will make it my mission to have you permabanned from this forum. Kindly fuck off back to your toy guns child.
-Frederick Bastiat
Stimey
­
There's a little game I like to play on this forum sometimes.
Its called "Don't acknowledge Shifty".
­
­
­
­
­
­
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6220|Escea

Ironically enough, Chernobyl is now a thriving nature reserve. Pigeons live in the sarcophagus where the radiation levels are 1 million times the norm.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6435|Germany

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Stimey wrote:

Paranoid Nazis
As much as I hate to respont to you with facts, cause I know quite well that brains isn't your strongest point, maybe someone else is interested: one of the threats for power plants that has been researced, is plane crashes. these can, in an really unfortunate event, happen by chance (noone though an earthquake that strong could ever hit japan), or they can happen quite intentionally, as should be known since 2001. The outcome is the same.
Stimey
­
Back on topic.

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclo … d-wide.htm

442 Active reactors online worldwide.
3 "Major" Nuclear disasters (If you classify Fukishima and 3MI as "Major")
That's about 2/3's of a percent of a "Major" meltdown. I'll take those odds.
Also liquid fluoride thorium reactors are pretty great.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Stimey wrote:

Back on topic.

http://www.euronuclear.org/info/encyclo … d-wide.htm

442 Active reactors online worldwide.
3 "Major" Nuclear disasters (If you classify Fukishima and 3MI as "Major")
That's about 2/3's of a percent of a "Major" meltdown. I'll take those odds.
Also liquid fluoride thorium reactors are pretty great.
Would you be ok if they built a nuclear power plant in your town?
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard