Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6822
Ok first off, I have about 6 hours of flight time and 1.8 K to D ratio as an airplane pilot, as you can see from my stats. But, when I'm in the air in some maps, relatively often I get an enemy jet who has it out for me, and he gets a lock on me, almost my entire flight. I'll do elaborate arial maneouvers, loops, hard banking, heading straight up in the air, then diving into the ground, and pulling out at the last seconds, flying between buildings and towers, etc etc. But none of it seems to matter, I often never find the enemy plane. Then if I stop doing crazy maneovers for 5-10 seconds, BAM, airplane missiles hit me and I'm dead.

Anyone have any advice on how to get bogies off your tail? When I'm following an enemy plane I have a lot of difficulty tracking them and staying behind them if they're not on a relatively conservative flight plan. How do this guys keep track of me so well? Should I be using exterior cameras to find them?

Last edited by Dizazter (2005-10-26 08:22:43)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

Don't fly
That's my solutoin, and i live by it ;D
I have the same problem with random missiles coming out of nowhere and killing me. no warning.
Dizazter
+0|6822

beeng wrote:

Don't fly
That's my solutoin, and i live by it ;D
I have the same problem with random missiles coming out of nowhere and killing me. no warning.
Nah, I love flying too much. I can be a real terror in the sky till one of these Red Barons decides I need to die, then its run for my life until he gets bored.

p.s. You're missing a ribbon

Last edited by Dizazter (2005-10-25 13:40:30)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

Dizazter wrote:

Nah, I love flying too much. I can be a real terror in the sky till one of these Red Barons decides I need to die, then its run for my life until he gets bored.

p.s. You're missing a ribbon
I know I dont have the ribbon.  I flew a few times and too much foghattery was involved.  People running nifront of my aircraft, pilots constantly chasing me with nohing better to do, retarded gunners.  I said "fuckit!!! wheres my machinegun!".
Dizazter
+0|6822

beeng wrote:

I know I dont have the ribbon.  I flew a few times and too much foghattery was involved.  People running nifront of my aircraft, pilots constantly chasing me with nohing better to do, retarded gunners.  I said "fuckit!!! wheres my machinegun!".
LOL what does foghattery entail? But I hear ya, you kinda have to get lucky with a good map, with lots of choppers, and not a lot of anti air, or more importantly, a lack of enemy jets. I got mine on Dragon Valley if that helps. Mostly from shooting down chopper and bombing runs on enemy bases.
tF-voodoochild
Pew Pew!
+216|6849|San Francisco

The only solution is to be a better pilot. Clearly you are just being outdone in the air by someone better than you. Aerial combat really comes down to who spots who first, if you can get behind someone before they get behind you then typically you will be able to take them down.
MattCicioni
+1|6830|Arizona
I have that same problem in planes.  Not much else you can do.... Just hope he runs out of ammo, and don't drop your flares too soon.  I see a lot of guys will head way up high and out of sight, that works, but you can loose control if you go too high.  I also have a problem with my engine dying because I use the after burner too much.  Also, my air-to-air missles can't hit shit unless the guy is going slow and straight. 

-Matt

https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/sig5.png
https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/awards.jpg
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6822|Belgium

Well I am probably the worst pilot out there, but cause I like to be capable of handling everything, I'm learning.
But what I was freaking wondering about was... Okay, you've got top-end technology, heat seeking missiles, laser guided missiles, UAV with the capacity to detect in which direction the specific enemy is watching, commanders with the gift of God to supervise to whole battlefield in a bird eye perspective all crammed in the one little bunker where he's mooning his ass of for all the by passers. BUT the top-end, state of the art, best you can find jets used in this game are NOT equipped with a radar???
C'mon didn't they see TOP GUN? And that was back in 1986. I know shit from warfare/airplane technology, but I was from the uncertain believe that jets had a radar system to track other planes while not in eye contact.
I dunno but air - air radar or something would not change the balance much, so why not provide the jets with such...

Nah-I've spoken...
R
docrico
+0|6767
Hello guys, first message here. My main vehicle problem deals with planes. I had no problem to learn how to drive correctly an helicopter but plane is still a mistery for me. I'm like you all, "beginner pilots": i often be chased by ennemy planes and shot down without seeiing something coming my way, after be bored to do a lot of evading moves. In order to have more control on my plane i use a joystick (clearly more usefull than mouse for me).

1) My fisrt question how to handle thrust. A lot of time i try to fly slowly to have time to bomb ennemy but i use to stall and crash. I saw too that when i makes turns i lose sometimes speed. Can someone explaim me clearly how to deal with thrust control? (i think it's the main problem of beginner pilots)

2) Do you (expert pilots) use external views and when? It deals with the problem to find good ground targets, often i just bomb ennemy base without knowing if ennemy soldiers are there. Do you use external wide view to track down targets?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by docrico (2005-10-26 01:11:35)

superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6783

consider that it also depends what fighter you are using.  If you are using a fighter jet (only two bombs) you are way more maneuverable than a jet-bomber (five bombs). 

read plane_whore's comments on this old thread: http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=2804&p=3
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

docrico wrote:

1) My fisrt question how to handle thrust. A lot of time i try to fly slowly to have time to bomb ennemy but i use to stall and crash. I saw too that when i makes turns i lose sometimes speed. Can someone explaim me clearly how to deal with thrust control? (i think it's the main problem of beginner pilots)
Yeah, the lift-thrust-flight system in this game is borked.  Aircraft stall out, and even nosing the aircraft down to gain speed, or nose up to gain lift does -nothing-.
blargh!
CMDR_Dave
Redneck
+66|6843|Missoula, MT
This has happened to me every time in a jet.  I just don't fly anymore.  Unless it's a small server, then I just use the jet to get from point A to point B very quickly.  Planes suck! 
rc-combat
+1|6776
Beeng,
You need a basic lesson in Jet Purpulstion Aernoautical Engineering. First lets talk about lift, lift is genrated by the difference in pressure across the top and the bottom of the wing. Aircraft with a "Fat" airfoil such as Commercial Jets have a greater pressure drop across the wing surface generating tremendous ammounts of lift. Military Jets on the other hand, have very thin airfoils and and only generate stable lift are high velocities. This is a fairly simplfied explanation, but quite simply Military jets stall and spin really easily. Now as far as nosing down to generate speed, at the alitudes we are forced to fly in this game there is just not enough time to generate the velocity needed to return to stable flight.
Now on the subject of thrust, Jet Turbine Engines DO NOT generate instant thrust, thrust is determined by the air density and velocity through a turbine compressor. Quite simply the slower you are traveling the longer it will take for the velocity through a compressor to reach the point to were you have positive thrust. Thus the lag you feel when trying to acclerate on the ground and in the air.
As a licensed pilot in real life I can tell you the jet models on BF2 while not the best, like Falcon 4.0, are very good you just have to remember not to dump throttle to less than around 75% unless you have a long run and your tail is clear to compensate for the lag of a Jet Turbine.
And most importantly if you want to be a really good aircraft pilot there is no substitute for a good joystick, I recommend any of the Thrustmaster Line. I also use Rudder pedals, I am surprised by the amount of people who never use rudder, once you learn to use your rudder your bombing and strafin kills will go up exponentially.
docrico
+0|6767
Thanks for such a "precise" response, i'll try to remember this next time

Last edited by docrico (2005-10-26 05:52:29)

=[4th]=SlayThem
Destroy Noob Cannons
+96|6835
I think it's probably been said.
But I'll say it again.
Use different views. For BF2 I use flyby and cockpit. In BF1942 I used flyby, cockpit, and chase rear.
Flying came naturally for me in this game. Probably had something to do with me being a pilot in 1942.
KillerAFET
+3|6782|Abilene, Texas

rc-combat wrote:

Beeng,
You need a basic lesson in Jet Purpulstion Aernoautical Engineering. First lets talk about lift, lift is genrated by the difference in pressure across the top and the bottom of the wing. Aircraft with a "Fat" airfoil such as Commercial Jets have a greater pressure drop across the wing surface generating tremendous ammounts of lift. Military Jets on the other hand, have very thin airfoils and and only generate stable lift are high velocities. This is a fairly simplfied explanation, but quite simply Military jets stall and spin really easily. Now as far as nosing down to generate speed, at the alitudes we are forced to fly in this game there is just not enough time to generate the velocity needed to return to stable flight.
Now on the subject of thrust, Jet Turbine Engines DO NOT generate instant thrust, thrust is determined by the air density and velocity through a turbine compressor. Quite simply the slower you are traveling the longer it will take for the velocity through a compressor to reach the point to were you have positive thrust. Thus the lag you feel when trying to acclerate on the ground and in the air.
Wow, nice commentary.  You a private pilot like a Cessena 172 driver?  I'm a systems engineer on B-1B bombers with almost 300 hours flight time as a United States Air Force combat aircrew member.  One of my secondary disciplines is propulsion and you'll find that military COMBAT jets today do get nearly instant thrust increases by using the thrust augmenter (afterburners in the old lingo).  Aircraft that have thrust to weight ratios greater than 1 push you deep into the ejection seat when the augmenters are lit

We have 4 GE F101 turbines slapped under the B-1B and when the pilot slides the throttle quadrants to AUG watchout.  This baby cruises at nearly Mach 1 so speed is her defense even though we have an impressive defensive avionics suite onboard as well as a terrain avoidance radar to keep us 100 feet off the ground.  Fighters hate to fly low - it scares them!!!

We can outfly most fighter aircraft simply because in order for them to close in on us they have to run in full augmenter and they run out of fuel before closing in on us while we carry over 180 THOUSAND pounds of JP-8 fuel!! 

Anyway, I digressed.  Just thought anyone discussing the camber and cord of an airfoil on a video game website was funny.  Why not mention that flying low during an arty barrage could cause the jet engines to shell out from ingesting debris while you're at it?
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6789|Hanging onto the UAV

rc-combat wrote:

You need a basic lesson in Jet Purpulstion Aernoautical Engineering. <snip>
Boooooring. It's a computer game, not real life.

KillerAFET wrote:

military stuff about B1 Bombers
Same goes for you. Except I like B1's, so you're forgiven.

Sorry. I'm bored at work and felt like being a bit of a sod.
KillerAFET
+3|6782|Abilene, Texas

AnarkyXtra wrote:

rc-combat wrote:

You need a basic lesson in Jet Purpulstion Aernoautical Engineering. <snip>
Boooooring. It's a computer game, not real life.

KillerAFET wrote:

military stuff about B1 Bombers
Same goes for you. Except I like B1's, so you're forgiven.

Sorry. I'm bored at work and felt like being a bit of a sod.
WTF is a SOD besides a lump of lawn material??  You meab SOB like son of a bitch or SOT like a drunkard?
AnarkyXtra
BF2s EU Server Admin
+67|6789|Hanging onto the UAV
No, I mean a sod. It's a UK thing, clearly. 
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6822|Belgium

SOD as in

sod Chiefly British Vulgar Slang
1 sodomite.
2 person regarded as obnoxious or contemptible.
3 fellow; a guy: “Poor sod, he almost got lucky for once” (Jack Higgins).

most probably nr 2, hey if the others are going technical... so can I
R
KillerAFET
+3|6782|Abilene, Texas
Coolness.  Cultural exchange!!!  Way to go y'all
beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

rc-combat wrote:

Beeng,
A) You need a basic lesson in Jet Purpulstion Aernoautical Engineering. First lets talk about lift, lift is genrated by the difference in pressure across the top and the bottom of the wing. Aircraft with a "Fat" airfoil such as Commercial Jets have a greater pressure drop across the wing surface generating tremendous ammounts of lift. Military Jets on the other hand, have very thin airfoils and and only generate stable lift are high velocities. This is a fairly simplfied explanation, but quite simply Military jets stall and spin really easily. Now as far as nosing down to generate speed, at the alitudes we are forced to fly in this game there is just not enough time to generate the velocity needed to return to stable flight.
B) Now on the subject of thrust, Jet Turbine Engines DO NOT generate instant thrust, thrust is determined by the air density and velocity through a turbine compressor. Quite simply the slower you are traveling the longer it will take for the velocity through a compressor to reach the point to were you have positive thrust. Thus the lag you feel when trying to acclerate on the ground and in the air.
As a licensed pilot in real life I can tell you the jet models on BF2 while not the best, like Falcon 4.0, are very good you just have to remember not to dump throttle to less than around 75% unless you have a long run and your tail is clear to compensate for the lag of a Jet Turbine.
And most importantly if you want to be a really good aircraft pilot there is no substitute for a good joystick, I recommend any of the Thrustmaster Line. I also use Rudder pedals, I am surprised by the amount of people who never use rudder, once you learn to use your rudder your bombing and strafin kills will go up exponentially.
Thanks 'pally'.  You need a lesson in physics (see D). [huzzah counter-asshole statement]
A) no shit.
B) no shit.
C) military aircraft can still fly -damned- slow... nose up and a lil' flaps = wooohooooo!
D) You, being the liscenced pilot you are, must agree that the game's physics are not anywhere near real.  Rocket ship take offs?  180 degree turns in under 5 feet at 300 knots?  Flying upside down for the duration of the map?  NO PROBLEM! this is bf2.  the laws of physics don't apply here.  [I especially like the last one ]

I know how aircraft work.  The issue is how bf2 -doesnt- convey aircraft properly.
HG_TheTank
+2|6767
Dunno who had the stupid idea to add jet fighters to BF2.
Planes in BF42 were bad enough... you could at least shoot at them...
But in BF2 they have radar and can be in&out in a second and you are none the wiser, thanks to BFs stupid visibility settings.
Helis are cool as they actually fit the 'scenario', but jet fighters?

Planes have all the advantages, yet none of the shortcommings as those on the ground.
KillerAFET can probably tell us in what dimensions and heights fighters and bombers usually opperate.
docrico
+0|6767
Could we just keep in mind thread subject please, i only need game advices...
rc-combat
+1|6776
Beeng,
I agree that their are some Physics problems, but I was trying to address some specific issues addressed earlier. In your "D" retort, Aye the rocketship takeoffs are wrong, but what does flying upside down have to do with the price of tea in China. All Jets and Most prop powered planes with simetrical airfoils do not know the difference between right side up and upside down. I can take off from New York in an F-16 or a P-51 roll inverted and fly all the way to Washington inverted if I wanted to. Now in a Cessna 180 that would be a pipe dream not that the airfoli won't do it, but the carburation of this aircraft and the ammount of down elevator deflection will not sustain inverted flight that long.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard