+5,830|6501

Aussie student finds universe's 'missing mass'

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110527/sc … icsscience
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6779|Moscow, Russia
*shrug*
goddidit.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

Blue Herring wrote:

People have been sitting to shit for a long time. The interesting thing about organisms is adaptability; I doubt we're hurting ourselves by sitting to crap.
Extreme examples to counter that with, but I suppose I should take up smoking and heavy drinking. After all, we're adaptable.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6740|Oxferd Ohire
i dont see what youre trying to accomplish with that counter example
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6541|Long Island, New York

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

People have been sitting to shit for a long time. The interesting thing about organisms is adaptability; I doubt we're hurting ourselves by sitting to crap.
Extreme examples to counter that with, but I suppose I should take up smoking and heavy drinking. After all, we're adaptable.
Sitting to defecate = a proven carcinogen and a liver killer?

Seriously?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6501

no shit . . .
Blue Herring
+13|4808

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

I suppose the difference there would be that one is a large ingestion of toxic chemicals while the other is probably just a matter of shape and form. Yeah, over time I'm sure our species could adapt to it, but you'd be a goner. I don't think there's much risk to angling yourself wrong whilst crapping.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

Poseidon wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Sitting to defecate = a proven carcinogen and a liver killer?

Seriously?
"Extreme examples."

Do I have to spell it out?

e-x-t-r-e-m-e-e-x-aw fuck it.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6740|Oxferd Ohire
which there was like...no point at all in giving
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Blue Herring
+13|4808
Boiling frogs.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5361|London, England

Blue Herring wrote:

Boiling frogs.
You don't boil frogs. You saute them in white wine with butter and garlic
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Blue Herring
+13|4808

Jay wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Boiling frogs.
Well you mainly do it to torture them.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Blue Herring wrote:

Jay wrote:

Blue Herring wrote:

Boiling frogs.
Well you mainly do it to torture them.
Ahh, i c
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6775|PNW

RTHKI wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

The point WAS to state that "doing something that's bad for you isn't harmful, since your species is an adaptable organism" is fallacy. The point WAS NOT to say that sitting to poop is as harmful as smoking or heavy drinking. You gotta look at things from different angles.

And no, I'm not going to stop sitting to poop any more than I'm going to throw away my tumor-causing cell phone.
Blue Herring
+13|4808

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

RTHKI wrote:

The point WAS to state that "doing something that's bad for you isn't harmful, since your species is an adaptable organism" is fallacy. The point WAS NOT to say that sitting to poop is as harmful as smoking or heavy drinking. You gotta look at things from different angles.

And no, I'm not going to stop sitting to poop any more than I'm going to throw away my tumor-causing cell phone.
Well, my point wasn't "doing something bad for you is okay" either. My point was something like the way we crap, despite what we were originally built to do(squat), after a long period of time sitting to crap, I doubt that it matters anymore. Same reason we stand upright and standing on all fours is actually difficult, despite what we once were undoubtedly stood on all fours.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Poseidon wrote:

Good article from NASA's chief Charles Bolden on American plans post-space shuttle program, why the Constellation program was canned and how America will work with Russia for LEO operations. Also mentions that the ultimate goal is to, of course, get Americans into deep space.

I always divide it into two things. One is access to space, access to Low Earth Orbit, and the other is exploration of space or exploration beyond Low Earth Orbit.

What will be significantly different from the way we've always done it before is that NASA will no longer procure vehicles and operate them for Low Earth Orbit activities. We are going to completely rely on our partners to do that work.

We'll still have oversight in terms of safety and engineering and the like, but we are not going to over-prescribe what they do and how they do it. They know that we want them to be able to carry humans and cargo to the International Space Station and other places, and we're just going to sit back and let them tell us when they need our help in determining how you do that.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/nasas-cha … d=13620479
Politics is what has and will keep us in LEO for some time to come.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6678|Canberra, AUS
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 143159.htm

ScienceDaily (June 3, 2011) — Quantum mechanics is famous for saying that a tree falling in a forest when there's no one there doesn't make a sound. Quantum mechanics also says that if anyone is listening, it interferes with and changes the tree. And so the famous paradox: how can we know reality if we cannot measure it without distorting it?

An international team of researchers, led by University of Toronto physicist Aephraim Steinberg of the Centre for Quantum Information and Quantum Control, has found a way to do just that by applying a modern measurement technique to the historic two-slit interferometer experiment in which a beam of light shone through two slits results in an interference pattern on a screen behind.
!!!
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Very cool lowing
-Frederick Bastiat
Stimey
­
+786|6123|Ontario | Canada
go canada
­
­
­
­
­
­
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6678|Canberra, AUS
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 … 104014.htm

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2011) — Do the principles of quantum mechanics apply to biological systems? Until now, says Prof. Ron Naaman of the Institute's Chemical Physics Department (Faculty of Chemistry), both biologists and physicists have considered quantum systems and biological molecules to be like apples and oranges. But research he conducted together with scientists in Germany, which appeared recently in Science, shows that a biological molecule -- DNA -- can discern between quantum states known as spin.
Extremely neat. Stern & Gerlach eat your heart out.

And maybe legions of biochem students will have to learn maths up to qm now. "A vector is an arrow! How can a vector be a function aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6414|'Murka

Spark wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110331104014.htm

ScienceDaily (June 4, 2011) — Do the principles of quantum mechanics apply to biological systems? Until now, says Prof. Ron Naaman of the Institute's Chemical Physics Department (Faculty of Chemistry), both biologists and physicists have considered quantum systems and biological molecules to be like apples and oranges. But research he conducted together with scientists in Germany, which appeared recently in Science, shows that a biological molecule -- DNA -- can discern between quantum states known as spin.
Extremely neat. Stern & Gerlach eat your heart out.

And maybe legions of biochem students will have to learn maths up to qm now. "A vector is an arrow! How can a vector be a function aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"
Sweet justice. I got tired of seeing the life sciences majors taking "math/physics for housewives" (as everyone called it--essentially algebra, vice calculus-based curricula).
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6604|132 and Bush

Another amazing shot by photog Thierry Legault

Endeavour and the ISS.

If you've ever seen the ISS streak across the sky you'll appreciate these shots.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6779|Moscow, Russia

Kmar wrote:

Another amazing shot by photog Thierry Legault

Endeavour and the ISS.

If you've ever seen the ISS streak across the sky you'll appreciate these shots.
holy macaroni! O_O
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6742|Toronto | Canada

Spark wrote:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110602143159.htm

ScienceDaily (June 3, 2011) — Quantum mechanics is famous for saying that a tree falling in a forest when there's no one there doesn't make a sound. Quantum mechanics also says that if anyone is listening, it interferes with and changes the tree. And so the famous paradox: how can we know reality if we cannot measure it without distorting it?

An international team of researchers, led by University of Toronto physicist Aephraim Steinberg of the Centre for Quantum Information and Quantum Control, has found a way to do just that by applying a modern measurement technique to the historic two-slit interferometer experiment in which a beam of light shone through two slits results in an interference pattern on a screen behind.
!!!
ive met him.  and take physics at u of t.

DonFck
Hibernator
+3,227|6635|Finland

Holy balls, massive solar CME days ago.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/sunea … blast.html

NASA wrote:

This not-squarely Earth-directed CME is moving at 1400 km/s according to NASA models. The CME should deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of June 8th or June 9th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras when the CME arrives.
I need around tree fiddy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard