Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5328|London, England

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ive never smoked weed or cigarettes, yet drink fairly frequently at school.  i have no problem with people doing it, and most do, but i personally have no desire to.

the not getting into professional school because i drank once thing is pretty ridiculous, considering engineers (who unquestionably have the hardest program) are well known for having the craziest parties.  if they can manage it i think anyone can.

Uzique wrote:

that's an incredibly small niche. to find someone over here that has never had a drink would be pretty much impossible.
after first year of uni, id agree.  i know plenty that hadn't before going to university though
That's because they spend sixty hours a week doing homework and have to make their time off count
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

It's funny how sheltered kids brag about college drinking parties. Most people's college drinking experiances were my highschool. Shit doesn't even amuse me anymore.
So what? "Man, drinking is so last year, I'm totally into this underground video game forum that you've probably never heard of"
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

Uzique wrote:

engineers and science geeks over here always throw the lamest parties... haha. funny how that sort of thing changes. i'm not sure it's consistent even across several campuses, though.
strange, theyre well known for it here.  its mostly because they build/buy all sorts of crazy laser/fog/etc systems for their parties.  plus, being a small faculty, theyre really tight with the administration and are allowed to host parties in their campus buildings.  and serve alcohol. its a pretty sweet setup.
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

It's funny how sheltered kids brag about college drinking parties. Most people's college drinking experiances were my highschool. Shit doesn't even amuse me anymore.
So what? "Man, drinking is so last year, I'm totally into this underground video game forum that you've probably never heard of"
It's funny how people brag about drinking and any associated debauchery in general.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

DesertFox- wrote:

Jay wrote:

Macbeth wrote:

It's funny how people brag about drinking and any associated debauchery in general.
Shrug, it's new for them. It's also been made semi-taboo because of all the restrictions placed on it. They can feel like they're getting away with something. Eventually you get older and realize that drinking isn't a big deal. I probably drank more before I was 21 than I did for the four years afterwards. Now I just drink what I like, when I like.

That said, you've missed out on a lot of what being young and stupid is supposed to be about. You must be incredibly dull. Seriously. Missionary style only amirite?

Last edited by Jay (2011-05-27 10:55:37)

-Frederick Bastiat
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6654|United States of America
That's a hell of an assumption. I've had fun, stupid experiences. It just didn't involve me consuming alcohol (the same can't be said about my friends when they were there, though). My personality isn't really suited to parties blasting shitty music and serving horrible alcohol anyway since my voice isn't really able to carry above a certain volume and then can't interact with others. However, I like reverse cowgirl, but I am old-fashioned in that way.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
every single one of you are socially awkward.
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i wouldn't say i'm socially awkward... my posting on here is pretty much an anomaly and an overhang from when i was obsessed with competitive gaming for a short-phase (the sort of geeky introvert thing you can allow every teenager, i suppose). i don't think anyone in this thread is trying to 'brag' about drinking or drugs experiences; my sole point and main argument was that you can't associate anyone's habits or choices with their upbringing. way too many people from the whole broad spectrum of social backgrounds experiment and get involved in that sort of thing.

and desertfox... maybe go to a club that doesn't blast shitty music? sounds like you need to let go, man
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

the last time i related a drug experience on this forum, some grumpy old fucktard keeps bringing it up to try to, oh i don't know - make me embarrassed? like frying on acid was the most outrageous thing i'd ever done . . .
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

what's unique about my demographic? you think every one i know does all drugs? you think it was even that way for me 2 years ago? or that my raising had anything to do with it? haha. i've never smoked a cigarette in my life and rarely see the appeal in drinking-- especially binge-drinking or 'drinking to party'. so do i not contradict your claim? a person's raising and their 'habits' in youth have little-to-no bearing on their experimentation phase in college; in fact, it could even contribute to them being more susceptible, psychologically...
I mentioned nothing about your raising. The demographic I was referring to is that of the recreational drug user, which you are, and many of your friends clearly are, from your post history. I'm not judging that, merely pointing out that that will skew your view of what "normal" rates of recreational drug use are in your age group.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
lowing mentioned the upraising part (not directed at me-- i just took it up in argument). i wouldn't say my demographic are 'abnormal', nor my social group, for that matter. it's very casual and very common. don't be under the illusion that i'm hanging around with a bunch of crackheads, hippies and psychonauts. i don't. they're middle-class children with university degrees.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

what's unique about my demographic? you think every one i know does all drugs? you think it was even that way for me 2 years ago? or that my raising had anything to do with it? haha. i've never smoked a cigarette in my life and rarely see the appeal in drinking-- especially binge-drinking or 'drinking to party'. so do i not contradict your claim? a person's raising and their 'habits' in youth have little-to-no bearing on their experimentation phase in college; in fact, it could even contribute to them being more susceptible, psychologically...
I mentioned nothing about your raising. The demographic I was referring to is that of the recreational drug user, which you are, and many of your friends clearly are, from your post history. I'm not judging that, merely pointing out that that will skew your view of what "normal" rates of recreational drug use are in your age group.
https://www.alcohol-and-drug-guide.com/images/USEverUsedMarjuanaP.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

in 2004 for i was winning
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Jay wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

http://www.alcohol-and-drug-guide.com/i … juanaP.jpg
and you have to remember-- that's the percentages of people willing to admit the use of an illegal substance. i bet many more have (perhaps 5-10%) but of course there's no way to evidence or support such a claim (it's merely anecdotal).
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5969|...
weed is not a big deal
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Uzique wrote:

Jay wrote:

FEOS wrote:

http://www.alcohol-and-drug-guide.com/i … juanaP.jpg
and you have to remember-- that's the percentages of people willing to admit the use of an illegal substance. i bet many more have (perhaps 5-10%) but of course there's no way to evidence or support such a claim (it's merely anecdotal).
And there are others that say they tried it even though they haven't because they think it makes them cool. It evens out I would think. Regardless, the people that have tried it are in the majority. How many of them went on to become full blown potheads that smoke every day? About 4%.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

weed is not a big deal
It's not at all. Which is why I get peeved when people get all holier than thou about the issue. I can count on both hands the number of times I've smoked weed. Didn't turn me into a heroin addict.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

weed is not a big deal
It's not at all. Which is why I get peeved when people get all holier than thou about the issue. I can count on both hands the number of times I've smoked weed. Didn't turn me into a heroin addict.
no, it didn't. a raging libertarian instead
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

lowing mentioned the upraising part (not directed at me-- i just took it up in argument). i wouldn't say my demographic are 'abnormal', nor my social group, for that matter. it's very casual and very common. don't be under the illusion that i'm hanging around with a bunch of crackheads, hippies and psychonauts. i don't. they're middle-class children with university degrees.
I'm not under that impression, either. I think I laid it out pretty clearly without illogical leaps, such as the one you provided there.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
JahManRed
wank
+646|6597|IRELAND

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

weed is not a big deal
When I was smoking weed and going to a dealer. Every single time he offered me hard drugs. "Here's your weed.......I also have some amazing coke and E, you want some?"
People don't smoke weed then think, "oh that's nice, now I want some smack" Its impressionable young people start smoking weed then move on because the other drugs are pushed on them. Separate them and you solve loads of problems.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX

FEOS wrote:

Uzique wrote:

I'm not under that impression, either. I think I laid it out pretty clearly without illogical leaps, such as the one you provided there.
I went to university too, very few people I knew took drugs casually, it was a small minority.

The Imperial College Beer Festival was a thing of wonder however
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England
Lol @ college kids dont do drugs.

Must be some kind of cultural boundary going on then because I would say more than 50% of my friends do..
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

Must be some kind of cultural boundary going on then because I would say more than 50% of my friends do..
just depends who you hang out with. the science kids i know at UNSW don't lol... but a lot of other peeps i know smoke up.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Cybargs wrote:

Cheeky_Ninja06 wrote:

just depends who you hang out with. the science kids i know at UNSW don't lol... but a lot of other peeps i know smoke up.
Again, it comes down to differing demographics...who you are, who you hang out with, what your proclivities are.

In college, I drank A LOT. Never sparked one up. Could have any time, if I so chose. I chose not to. It was at some parties, not at others. Totally depended on the host and whether they were open to having it there and risking getting busted by the cops (it WAS in Oklahoma, coincidentally, lol).
― Albert Einstein

Cheeky_Ninja06
+52|6702|Cambridge, England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

Interesting report just out evaluating the "war on drugs" and noting a 35% increase in usage in the last 10 years.

Must be a cultural thing. It was British scientists that first came across anesthetic at one of their "try everything" parties.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard