tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Post your current projects you're working on.

Today I tossed together a status page for my VPS and Home Server

I've also been working on some java programming too (MCDocs)

What about you?
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4938|Dundee, Scotland.
I'm soon to be working on a C++ program, here's the brief

What we really want is for the timesheet data to be stored in a file – I think the previous company called this a binary file – would that be correct?  This apparently, according to our resident computer whiz kid, would allow us to produce the wage slips and reports from dates that we input.  Use 12.75% for income tax and 6.8% for national insurance.
Our managers deal with timesheets for their staff on a weekly basis.  They total up the hours and overtime and authorize the hours worked by each employee.  We just pay a flat overtime rate of 1.5 times the normal rate.

We need to store the employee number, their name, department number (we have 9 departments at the moment numbered from 1 to 9), normal hours, overtime hours, rate of pay, and the ‘week ending’ date that the timesheet is for. 
We would like to be able to input the above timesheet data and also to be able to delete records as well in case they are incorrect.  Each timesheet record stored could also include the calculated gross pay, national insurance, tax and net pay if you want to do it that way.

One thing that must be correct when entering the timesheet is that overtime hours can only be entered when the number of normal hours is greater or equal to 37.5.   We don’t want to be paying overtime if the employee has not worked a full week!  Our managers should be checking this on the timesheets but they sometimes get it wrong.  Maybe you could build something into it so that it won’t allow them to enter overtime in the program (or do you call them apps nowadays?) if the normal hours are less than 37.5?
From this we would like to print payslips for each employee by entering a week ending date.  This would usually just be the Friday date for any given week so don’t worry about that.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
And I'll be working on my website www.cameronrobbins.co.uk over the summer.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
databases

kill yourself now before its too late
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

Lucien wrote:

databases

Haha, yeah.

I've got an access database I'm working on right now, need to create reports and invoices. Yawn.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Lucien wrote:

databases

wait until you get into datamarts and star schemas

Sadly my main job keeps so f'ing busy, i have no time for fun side projects
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
nah I only had to learn some basic database theory and mysql/qbe/relational algebra

none of that other stuff is too necessary for AI
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5453|Bolingbrook, Illinois
going to create an artificial intelligence combat system for eve online.

should be a fun little project

i'm also going to start looking for internships that could get me into the field.  i updated a C++ program for the company my dad works at.  apparently, everyone knew java and C#, but nobody knew C++.  figures.  but yeah, i'm going to use this and hopefully a few other oppurtunities to get reccomendations and build up a nice little resume for myself.

this reminds me, anyone know if getting into an open source project is a good idea to impresses colleges and future employers?  and if so, does anyone have any reccomendations for one to contribute to?
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Camm wrote:

Lucien wrote:

databases

Haha, yeah.

I've got an access database I'm working on right now, need to create reports and invoices. Yawn.
I swear to fuck, why do universities rely on Microshit for everything.

My mate who finished a degree went for a job interview and was laughed at because all his database knowledge was in access...

Absolute stupidity.

HaiBai wrote:

going to create an artificial intelligence combat system for eve online.

should be a fun little project

i'm also going to start looking for internships that could get me into the field.  i updated a C++ program for the company my dad works at.  apparently, everyone knew java and C#, but nobody knew C++.  figures.  but yeah, i'm going to use this and hopefully a few other oppurtunities to get reccomendations and build up a nice little resume for myself.

this reminds me, anyone know if getting into an open source project is a good idea to impresses colleges and future employers?  and if so, does anyone have any reccomendations for one to contribute to?
Any OO is pretty much the damn same... How could you "know" C#/Java, and not understand and adapt that to other OO languages... :s

@the open source comment. Absolutely, it shows commitment through concept. Passion. You're not just working for the wage. Employers love that.

Last edited by tazz. (2011-05-20 18:57:44)

jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

Lucien wrote:

nah I only had to learn some basic database theory and mysql/qbe/relational algebra

none of that other stuff is too necessary for AI
That is pretty cool area. You looked into any functional programming languages?

Tazz wrote:

I swear to fuck, why do universities rely on Microshit for everything.
I think in this case access is used because it is very portable. It is also useful for connecting to and working with practically any other dbm's as well. When I was school we actually used Foxpro - but dbase is relic anymore.

Microsoft has their shit together in the Enterprise realm, despite the fud of yesteryear.
HaiBai

tazz. wrote:

Any OO is pretty much the damn same... How could you "know" C#/Java, and not understand and adapt that to other OO languages... :s
that's exactly what i was thinking...  it's basically all the same.  all they wanted me to do was compile it with the newest version of visual studio because it wasn't working with some updated operating system or something.  all i had to do was update the way the program used the updated libraries, such as getting it to work with string rather then string.h.

tazz. wrote:

@the open source comment. Absolutely, it shows commitment through concept. Passion. You're not just working for the wage. Employers love that.
ah ok cool.  do you know of any good open source projects i could contribute to?
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

HaiBai wrote:

do you know of any good open source projects i could contribute to?
you and me -- .net version of minecraft

edit: too late ...

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6601|949

Access is still relevant in some scope. I've lost pretty much all abilities in it from not using for a while. Custom dbm solutions is where serious money is at
HaiBai

jsnipy wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

do you know of any good open source projects i could contribute to?
you and me -- .net version of minecraft

edit: too late ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8w2V3gPC7I
darn
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

HaiBai wrote:

ah ok cool.  do you know of any good open source projects i could contribute to?
Perhaps make a phone app? Think of something you need, too, that way you have a real motive
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Gonna make a wee program that starts when my laptop boots into windows, hopefully gonna make it open chrome and the pages i always check first, open tweetdeck, and open my email client.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

that's not a program, that's a batch file . . .
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Why? I hear you ask!

Because i want to batter out a few simppe programmes over the summer to really learn the basic functions of c++ for next year, and also because i'm lazy and it would be awesome to hit the on button on my laptop, go make a pot of coffee and breakfast and sit down to everything open.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.

burnzz wrote:

that's not a program, that's a batch file . . .
I was thinking that when i was thinking about it at work
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

Tazz, use CSS sprites. It's really annoying hovering over something and waiting for the CSS image to load because it hasn't been called in the stylesheet. Just create an image with a blank area and then on hover move the background with background-position:

Will make future projects that much better
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

Tazz, use CSS sprites. It's really annoying hovering over something and waiting for the CSS image to load because it hasn't been called in the stylesheet. Just create an image with a blank area and then on hover move the background with background-position:

Will make future projects that much better
What are you referring to exactly?

I've been using sprites in my personal work for years :s

Last edited by tazz. (2011-05-26 07:32:38)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6725|Scotland

You're not using sprites on your porfolio at Tazz.com and because of that when you hover over the links and the little arrow shows it takes about a second to load up because it's only loaded when hovered over.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Zimmer wrote:

You're not using sprites on your porfolio at Tazz.com and because of that when you hover over the links and the little arrow shows it takes about a second to load up because it's only loaded when hovered over.
oh, i only just noticed this~ i didn't design that theme

though i've since replaced it.

looks like turds without javascript enabled. should fix that.
Camm
Feeding the Cats.
Away to start doing c# for GUIs.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard