Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5340|Sydney

Kampframmer wrote:

I just got back from my first HIIT session (did 5x 30/90) and hot damn!
That shit is way more exhausting than a 6km run. You feel tired after 1 or 2km, but it stays that way until the end. But with this you get more and more tired with every sprint rep.

next week i'll try 6x 30/60
Yeah I know what you mean! You get to the final couple sets and feel F-U-C-K-E-D!!!
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney

nukchebi0 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

So they are worked, just not "worked." I'm really just curious about this because they are always sore after I push the weight up, moreso than the quads.
If they're more sore than your quads after squats it means your hamstrings are really tight. You will need to losen them up with specific hamstring exercises and stretches (if muscles are tight, stretching is recommended, any other point you shouldn't stretch). My hamstrings (and legs in general) are incredibly tight due to a posture problem, so I have to losen them up before I can really push them in any leg exercise. See if basic hamstring stretches feel quite tight, if they do then that is the reason they're so sore after you push with a squat.
I finally did Romanian Deadlifts with a proper weight and the hamstrings are sore rather than tight, so I see what you are saying. Thank you for the clarification (and Jaekus too.)
Since doing deadlifts and squats I've become more flexible in my legs. I can now touch my toes and the ground with only a slight bend in my knees, something I could not do before.

If your hammies are super tight, stretch them. According to some reading I've done it's best to do ballistic/dynamic stretching before your workout, start at a light weight and do at least one warm up set before moving onto your working weight (with squats I do two warm up sets, one at around 50% working weight and one at around 70% working weight), and then do static stretching at the end of your workout. I don't stretch before my workout (it's recommended to not do static stretches pre-workout, only post) but definitely make sure I warm up with a set using an empty bar and then the warm up sets.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-19 08:09:04)

presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6122|Places 'n such

Jaekus wrote:

For starters, NEVER skip breakfast. Eating first thing when you wake kick starts your metabolism and gives your body fuel for the day.
Definitely lowe the snickers/mars bar and replace with some fruit and nuts. Almonds and/or walnuts are particularly good.
If you're going to eat a sandwich, avoid white bread and stick with the wholemeal. White bread has a higher GI level and basically turns to sugar in your body, causing more fat storage.
Avoid the cake pastry, again arvo snack same as morning snack.
Try to avoid anything with carbs for dinner, your body simply does not need it. Carbs need to be burned and since it's the end of the day your body will instead store it as fat.
Lose the toast for the evening snack and go for either nuts or something like cottage cheese.

As far as setting goals, it's kinda important to have some idea of what you want to achieve and where you want to go with this. Otherwise it'll likely to be a half hearted attempt that will fall by the wayside once the novelty wears off. If you have a goal then when you're lacking motivation or mess up on a day or two you'll have a reason to get back onto the diet and fitness and keep going .

Some quick ideas for you to think about:
If you want to lose fat and generally just feel fitter, doing cardio at least three times a week along with an improved diet will steer you towards that direction. After a while you could try some HIIT (high intensity interval training) to give you more athleticism. It's hard though, but more than halves the time it takes to exercise when compared to a typical steady cardio routine. (15-20 minutes compared to 45-60 minutes).
If you want to gain more muscle, you MUST lift weights, starting light at first but gradually increasing to heavy. And if this is goal you must eat a lot more protein than you currently are.

You said you're vegetarian. Does this exclude meat products only? Whey powder is a derivative of milk and is very high in protein, which is why anyone serious about gaining muscles takes whey religiously on a daily basis.
Vegetarian excludes meat and fish products only, i'm fine with dairy.
Going to try to do more HIIT maybe 3 times a week minimum, tried it the other day and it had me feeling fucked after about 3k. Going to jump in at the deep end with that in the hope it gives me a general boost.
Think i'm going to have to come up with some goals and have a think about this.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
When doing HIIT it's more about time than distance. Basically do it like this:

Warm up for 5 minutes.
SPRINT for 30 seconds;
Jog for 60-90 seconds (if you're fairly fit, go 60, otherwise it's best to start with 90);
Complete 5-7 more sets (so 6-9 sets in total);
Cool down;
Stretch.

You should be feeling completely fucked by the end of it, that's the point of it.

When setting goals, you don't necessarily need to put figures on things, but you can if you want to. For example, if you're overweight and want to get to a desired weight. However it could be how you feel when you look in the mirror or a certain feeling of strength. Within setting a longer term goal it's also good to set shorter term goals, for example, gradually increasing your work load until you can lift a certain weight, or run a certain distance in a certain time. Something that for you shows progress. Set goals by your own standards and measure, not anyone else's.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Managed to track down some dextrose (2kg for $23, lol) and got some PH balanced creatine that apparently doesn't need to be cycled? Dunno. Gonna give it a shot this evening after workout, which comes after eating and then a nap... been a long and busy week.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Posting again, lol.

I think my left shoulder is strained. It's not muscular, it feels like a tendon or something. FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

So I deloaded since I'm changing to hypertrophy next week anyway, to focus on perfect form and see how the reduced weight will go for 5 reps, to give me an idea on where to start when I switch to 3x8. Made me realise recently my form on squats and bent over rows has suffered as the weight has gone up. Tsk tsk.

I added some creatine and 5 teaspoons of dextrose to my recovery shake. I'm already starting to feel a buzz from the sugar, lol.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5645|Bolingbrook, Illinois
i need some advice on barbell row form.  i don't need advice on the form itself, i need advice on what I can count as a barbell row and what i can't.

starting strength says this:

The first few reps will only use a slight - maybe less than ten degrees - amount of hip extension, but as the set progresses and the upper body becomes fatigued more hip extension gets thrown in to get the reps finished. Be sure to continue doing rows and not deadlifts. The back should never get much above horizontal, and if the chest comes up too high on the last reps, the bar is hitting too low, the range of motion for the target muscles has shortened, and the weight is too heavy.

As the weight gets heavy, there will be a pronounced tendency to allow t h e chest to drop down to meet the bar, completing the rep from the top down instead of from the bottom up. When this becomes excessive, the weight is too heavy. And excessive is a rather subjective concept here. It might be decided that no chest drop is allowable, in which case heavy weights cannot be used in the exercise. Or it might be decided that as long as the chest can be touched with the bar, the rep counts. This degree of variability is one of the things that distinguish an assistance exercise from a primary exercise: if a large degree of variability is inherent in the performance of an exercise, it cannot be judged effectively or quantified objectively. For this reason, the barbell row makes a very good ancillary exercise but a very poor contest lift.
i bolded the main part.  if i can't judge or quantify the repetition objectively, how can i tell myself whether the repetition i just completed should count?  how will i know once my form is so bad that i need to stop?
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
It's talking about how the only way to lift very heavy weights is to have some degree of movement through the chest, but the degree of movement is subjective to the lifter, thus it is a poor exercise for competitions as everyone will have different amounts of variation based on height, build etc. so no one rule would work well across all lifters.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-21 06:27:54)

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6353|Roma
Yeah, it means judged as in for competitions, not for the lifter. You do it till you feel it wasn't enough I guess.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
Working out a new routine to start on Monday and using this site (linked below) that I posted here a few months ago.

Man, I forgot how good it is to read through all of this. I highly recommend it as I feel most if not all of us will get some better understanding of working out with weights in one way or another.

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/the-ulti … t-routine/
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5926|Belgium
Some progress:

Just noticed my right arm is cut off.
http://i.imgur.com/3I3Qal.jpg
oh well

Weighing 73KG in that pic, for 1m71.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney
I'm not ready to post a similar pic of myself just yet

Started a new program today, similar to SL but a bit different. It's from the link I posted above ^^

Squats
BP
Bent over rows
Tricep extensions

all 3x8

Workout B will be:

DL
Chin ups
Overhead press
Hammer curls
Weighted crunches

Again, all 3x8

Decided to move onto hypertrophy for a while (well, building a bit more muscle bulk than focussing purely on strength), and come back to strength training at a later date.

Also, last night I read the chapter in SS about bench pressing. Made me realise my form was incorrect when it came to forearms remaining vertical (they weren't) and shoulder blades squeezed together (they weren't). Been having left shoulder pain doing BP. Tonight, with correct form, absolutely NO shoulder pain, and as a plus I felt the workout really hitting my pecs a lot more than usual. Pretty happy

After reading a fair bit of SS I cannot recommend it highly enough. Anyone entering barbell training must at least read it, if not own a copy.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-23 04:51:29)

Sturgeon
+488|5102|Flintshire
Surely you could've put some shorts on lol...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5926|Belgium
How you gonna mire my quads then?

http://i.imgur.com/WlrAw.jpg

Last edited by Jebus (2011-05-23 08:27:35)

wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6621|UK
Haha looking good will post a pic up once I get my camera back. Don't fancy doing the whole myspace thing!
Stimey
­
+786|6281|Ontario | Canada
holy shit never noticed this thread before.

Anyone below:

Body Weight Bench Press
1.5xBody Weight Squat
2xBody Weight Deadlift

And not doing Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, Is doing it wrong. Bonus wrong points if you don't do one of those exercises.

Last edited by Stimey (2011-05-25 15:12:34)

­
­
­
­
­
­
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5926|Belgium
Bullshit. Noone jumps in at those figures.

After one year of solid lifting, then I'd agree, but still.

Last edited by Jebus (2011-05-25 14:15:32)

Stimey
­

Jebus wrote:

Bullshit. Noone jumps in at those figures.

After one year of solid lifting, then I'd agree, but still.
Oops.
Meant to say they need to be doing either SS or SL if they're under those.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Sturgeon
+488|5102|Flintshire
There isn't one 'right' way to workout, stop trying to troll.
Jaekus
+957|5340|Sydney

Sturgeon wrote:

There isn't one 'right' way to workout, stop trying to troll.
Exactly. Only recommendations. There is no "one-size-fits-all" method, though for beginners a FBW of some type is recommended. But the routine itself comes down to the individual.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-25 15:45:31)

Stimey
­
There are actually correct ways to work out.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Sturgeon
+488|5102|Flintshire
ways, plural.

"Anyone below:

Body Weight Bench Press
1.5xBody Weight Squat
2xBody Weight Deadlift

And not doing Starting Strength or Strong Lifts, Is doing it wrong. Bonus wrong points if you don't do one of those exercises. "

Fuck off if you're going to post shit in this thread.
Stimey
­
But those exercises work the most core muscles, thus building the most mass and strength.
Especially when a persons stats are under those guidelines.
Only after you surpass those guidelines should you start focusing on smaller muscle groups.
­
­
­
­
­
­
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6762|132 and Bush

Core muscles are your abs, lower back, hips (Trunk exercises). I know this because I was prescribed a routine for my PT
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Stimey
­
good thing squats and deadlifts cover all of those

Last edited by Stimey (2011-05-25 16:26:32)

­
­
­
­
­
­

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard