Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6442|EE Chat
So I'm off to college in a couple of months and I need a good laptop. Price range should be about 500-700 USD. I would like one with dedicated graphics if possible, and and i5, maybe an i3 if it is a good deal. I was looking at
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834146986
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6834215037

Ideas?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England
Get one that can't play video games.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5256|foggy bottom

Jay wrote:

Tu Stultus Es
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6194|Winland

I will have to agree with Jay and Eleven Bravo. If you're going to be using it for school work, then you need a reliable business machine. There are none with respectable graphics chips in that price range. Consider HP Probooks with the "b" suffix or Lenovo Thinkpads of the T series.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6656|BC, Canada

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I will have to agree with Jay and Eleven Bravo. If you're going to be using it for school work, then you need a reliable business machine. There are none with respectable graphics chips in that price range. Consider HP Probooks with the "b" suffix or Lenovo Thinkpads of the T series.
My probook is great, and would make a very good school machine.
There is a probook with a 2nd gen i5 for just 29 bucks above your budget.

Last edited by Nic (2011-05-15 13:32:11)

Camm
Feeding the Cats.
+761|4965|Dundee, Scotland.
I got a Compaq presario nearly 2 years ago for £300. Granted it only has a 2.2ghz sempron, it has a dedi gfx card andcan play some games not too bad, i upgraded the ram from 1gb to 3 and it's great for office work.
for a fatty you're a serious intellectual lightweight.
Reddhedd
trolawlawl
+188|6442|EE Chat

Jay wrote:

Yeah, only thing is, I will be transporting it home for visits periodically and want the ability to play some light games (League of Legends, maybe some steam games, etc) Sorry, kinda left that out. I'm still open to suggestions that don't include dedi graphics.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard