Announcement

Join us on Discord: https://discord.gg/nf43FxS
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4437|London, England
I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always felt that we as Americans waste our land. The American Dream has taught us that we should strive for a home in the suburbs with a nice back yard for our kids to play in. That's a nice thought, but it's something I feel is utterly pointless. The rich people around here buy a bunch of land, turn plop a house on it, and seclude themselves away from their neighbors. Ok, fine, you can do whatever you want with your own land but what's the point of having all that grass? Because it's pretty to look at? Why not throw a few cows or sheep on the land so you can at least get some milk out of the deal? Plant a large garden. Turn it into a mini-farm. Make the land work for you since you're paying taxes on it anyway.

My own hometown is like this. Pure suburbia with row after row of homes with a front yard, and a back yard, and the home set a few dozen paces off of the street. Somehow we've convinced ourselves that this is the ideal setup. Nevermind that the homes only have a few yards of space between them, we've convinced ourselves that this is our castle, our fortress of solitude. Why? Why not build the homes closer together, create more space, and plant large gardens that will actually give you fresh ingredients to eat instead of spending thousands of dollars at the supermarket every year? I've always felt this way, but watching an episode of No Reservations on Sardinia tonight kind of reinforced it. I want to raise pigs and turn them into yummy prosciutto. I want to grow my own tomatoes and berries and everything else. Damn the kids and their backyard, they can walk the few blocks to the park.

Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's just because I'm a foodie, but American food culture to me blows, and I think much of it has to do with the distance that most Americans have from their food. There's a disconnect when all you see is row after row of neatly displayed produce at the supermarket. Boring.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5795
I prefer apartments.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|5738|BC, Canada
I always thought the american dream was to get rich and fuck all the rest.

As for the rest, I live in a condo for my first home, and would be so happy for a little green space of my own. So yeah, I could get down with a bit of suburbia at the moment, as long as it was in the mountains. But given that where I live, my condo cost 5 times as much as my brothers house in my home town, that's gonna have to wait.

If you want your own veggies and livestock the answer is simple, gtfo of suburbia and into the sticks. Communal gardens and shit are just urinals for jack offs.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4437|London, England

Nic wrote:

I always thought the american dream was to get rich and fuck all the rest.

As for the rest, I live in a condo for my first home, and would be so happy for a little green space of my own. So yeah, I could get down with a bit of suburbia at the moment, as long as it was in the mountains. But given that where I live, my condo cost 5 times as much as my brothers house in my home town, that's gonna have to wait.

If you want your own veggies and livestock the answer is simple, gtfo of suburbia and into the sticks. Communal gardens and shit are just urinals for jack offs.
My point is that suburbia sucks. It's the shitty in-between of urban and rural life, and worse than both. Suburbs are soul crushing.

I know I'm romanticizing the hell out of it, I know it, but when I look at parts of Europe and the way those towns developed, with a very close spaced town center and surrounded by fields and farmland, it just looks right. Here, towns blend together and you can barely tell when you've gone from one to the next because everything and everyone is so spread out. Strip mall after bloody strip mall, and I fucking hate it.

Last edited by Jay (2011-05-14 23:59:05)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|5738|BC, Canada

Jay wrote:

Nic wrote:

I always thought the american dream was to get rich and fuck all the rest.

As for the rest, I live in a condo for my first home, and would be so happy for a little green space of my own. So yeah, I could get down with a bit of suburbia at the moment, as long as it was in the mountains. But given that where I live, my condo cost 5 times as much as my brothers house in my home town, that's gonna have to wait.

If you want your own veggies and livestock the answer is simple, gtfo of suburbia and into the sticks. Communal gardens and shit are just urinals for jack offs.
My point is that suburbia sucks. It's the shitty in-between of urban and rural life, and worse than both. Suburbs are soul crushing.
Probably depends on the person. I find ( at least nowadays), being surrounded by the concrete, crowds and recycled air of urban areas to be depressing. But if you look at my pics from the latest page of the post you pets thread, that's much more my environment.

In suburbia at least I could let my dogs roam the back yard and have decent bbqs and the like. I would probably prefer the outskirts of suburbia though.

Last edited by Nic (2011-05-15 00:02:30)

Blue Herring
Member
+13|3884
In the Mid-west, there is large open space and tons of people do just what you suggested.

Most people just don't prefer that lifestyle anymore, hence suburban landscapes.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,268|5795

Jay wrote:

Nic wrote:

I always thought the american dream was to get rich and fuck all the rest.

As for the rest, I live in a condo for my first home, and would be so happy for a little green space of my own. So yeah, I could get down with a bit of suburbia at the moment, as long as it was in the mountains. But given that where I live, my condo cost 5 times as much as my brothers house in my home town, that's gonna have to wait.

If you want your own veggies and livestock the answer is simple, gtfo of suburbia and into the sticks. Communal gardens and shit are just urinals for jack offs.
My point is that suburbia sucks. It's the shitty in-between of urban and rural life, and worse than both. Suburbs are soul crushing.

I know I'm romanticizing the hell out of it, I know it, but when I look at parts of Europe and the way those towns developed, with a very close spaced town center and surrounded by fields and farmland, it just looks right. Here, towns blend together and you can barely tell when you've gone from one to the next because everything and everyone is so spread out. Strip mall after bloody strip mall, and I fucking hate it.
One thing that really sucks about the suburbs... it's so goddamn inconvenient but its nice having a yard and a pool though. but the front yard is kinda useless id agree.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|5772
Jay sounds an awful lot like a hipster.

Lead by example and I'll come over for dinner.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|5731|USA

Jay wrote:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've always felt that we as Americans waste our land. The American Dream has taught us that we should strive for a home in the suburbs with a nice back yard for our kids to play in. That's a nice thought, but it's something I feel is utterly pointless. The rich people around here buy a bunch of land, turn plop a house on it, and seclude themselves away from their neighbors. Ok, fine, you can do whatever you want with your own land but what's the point of having all that grass? Because it's pretty to look at? Why not throw a few cows or sheep on the land so you can at least get some milk out of the deal? Plant a large garden. Turn it into a mini-farm. Make the land work for you since you're paying taxes on it anyway.

My own hometown is like this. Pure suburbia with row after row of homes with a front yard, and a back yard, and the home set a few dozen paces off of the street. Somehow we've convinced ourselves that this is the ideal setup. Nevermind that the homes only have a few yards of space between them, we've convinced ourselves that this is our castle, our fortress of solitude. Why? Why not build the homes closer together, create more space, and plant large gardens that will actually give you fresh ingredients to eat instead of spending thousands of dollars at the supermarket every year? I've always felt this way, but watching an episode of No Reservations on Sardinia tonight kind of reinforced it. I want to raise pigs and turn them into yummy prosciutto. I want to grow my own tomatoes and berries and everything else. Damn the kids and their backyard, they can walk the few blocks to the park.

Does anyone else feel this way? Maybe it's just because I'm a foodie, but American food culture to me blows, and I think much of it has to do with the distance that most Americans have from their food. There's a disconnect when all you see is row after row of neatly displayed produce at the supermarket. Boring.
people want elbow room, simple. they don't want to listen to their neighbors fighting or their kids banging around etc..

Suburbs are great if you get into the right subdivision. I lived in one where my neighbors were our best friends and we would have block parties and poker nights etc. Halloween was just as big as Christmas with the neighborhood haunted houses and decorations. I loved living there.

I do know what ya mean about how they live in, well Germany for me. I loved it, but there is a big difference between visiting a place and living there. I am sure they wish they could "get away from it all" as well.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,752|5185|eXtreme to the maX
Wasn't it the Detroit carmakers who pushed the suburban lifestyle?
Big blocks, no pavements, long commutes to work meant they could sell lots of cars and tyres.
#FreeBritney
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|4258|Sydney
I tend to agree with the OP but it does come down to what people want. I guess a lot of people like suburbia, that's why it's so popular.

Permaculture to some scale is a great idea and in my ideal world I'd like to do that myself, but I simply don't have time to upkeep a garden and livestock for me to be completely self sufficient. I'm sure that's the case for the majority of people in society. I heard about a study done recently and the number one commodity people want more of is time. I guess if you love gardening and rearing animals, that is time well spent. If you see it as another chore that needs to be done, then convenience will win out in the end, as we have become so much more accustomed to it as a society.

As much as I dislike suburbia (to me it's almost like a living hell. You know, the suburbs where all the houses look the same and everyone lives near a cul de sac. I much prefer living inner city or a suburb with lots of different houses, but I digress) I can see why people like it. Like lowing said, people like space. A park is great for the kids but if you can have space on your own land it is much more secure and convenient. You can still do your own thing knowing the kids are relatively safe (kids will be kids after all) and it's just an all round more efficient solution a lot of the time, if you don't want to make the tv the babysitter. It's also good having a larger property for entertaining guests. I guess if you can afford it and it suits your lifestyle, why not?

I'd like to think one day when I retire though, I have my own plot of land somewhere quiet where I can live off the land. Maybe back in Tasmania where I've lived before, people know you and it's a slow pace of life.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-05-15 03:31:37)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,752|5185|eXtreme to the maX
OTOH Suburbia is generally sterile and dull, people barely know their neighbours and no-one really has enough space to do any more than kick a ball around.
#FreeBritney
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|5550
suburbs are so mainstream and their conformity like, uh, really gets up my nose. so many middle-class clones! robot consumers!
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,752|5185|eXtreme to the maX
Being non-conformist is mainstream these days.
#FreeBritney
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|5548

Dilbert_X wrote:

Being non-conformist is mainstream these days.
It really is!
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,752|5185|eXtreme to the maX
Actually its been the case for a long time now.
#FreeBritney
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|4258|Sydney
Softcore is the new hardcore.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,003|4437|London, England

Superior Mind wrote:

Jay sounds an awful lot like a hipster.

Lead by example and I'll come over for dinner.
I would love to own a brownstone, haha. So damn expensive though.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Pochsy
Artifice of Eternity
+702|4622|Toronto
Some Walden Pond shit going on here. I want to live off a small piece of land and grow my own food. Although you may be more social than Henry Thoreau.
The shape of an eye in front of the ocean, digging for stones and throwing them against its window pane. Take it down dreamer, take it down deep. - Other Families
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|5525|The Land of Scott Walker
You'd seclude yourself too if you had my neighbors.
13rin
Member
+977|5558
I will own a few acres and work the land.  I want to grow peanuts and have a bit of a food plot (corn) to harvest deer.  Being able to sound off on you own little chunk of property is cherry.  Ive always felt it a shame that those that own more than three acres and dont work the land is sad
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
eleven bravo
Member
+1,399|4338|foggy bottom
apartments are people pooping on top of other people.  no thanks
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
Member
+1,399|4338|foggy bottom

Stingray24 wrote:

You'd seclude yourself too if you had my neighbors.
minorities right
Tu Stultus Es
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|4781|College Park, MD
meh I could go either way

I've lived in suburbia most of my life and while it's not perfect it's not awful either. The neighborhood I grew up in is incredibly safe, the schools are excellent (although I went to private), and we have a nice backyard. You do have to drive everywhere though, which is the major downside. It's also a bit farther from the suburb's downtown core. If it was closer then I wouldn't have much to complain about at all. The public transportation does suck, and it's only 20 minutes away from downtown DC (goes to show how quickly the quality of public transport deteriorates the further you get from the city core).

My dad on the other hand lives in a very urbanized part of DC, in a condo, and that's where I live right now. Yes, it is nice to be able to walk two minutes up the street and get a good cup of coffee, or a variety of restaurants (although a lot of the ones around here are meh at best). There's rather frequent bus service, and two Metro stations nearby. But it's also expensive, there's always a feeling of "hustle and bustle" that I don't get at my mom's, and there's no yard!!! Thankfully there's a rooftop balcony area but if it wasn't for that, there'd be no way to step outside and read and smoke and get some fresh air whilst being in the comfort of your own domain.

If I could live in a house (it doesn't have to be a big house either) with a yard, close to amenities and close to work, that'd be perfect. But such a house either doesn't exist or is insanely expensive. For everyone else there's townhouses, apartments/condos, and the suburbs.

e: Also, call me crazy, but there's something relaxing about a commute that's a bit lengthy (due to distance, not traffic).

Last edited by Hurricane2k9 (2011-05-15 07:46:36)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
so what other countries have national parks?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2021 Jeff Minard