Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

yeah but would you really do that, though? i mean... really? if i honestly had an infinite tech budget i'd just buy a few macs (as has been said) and would maybe keep one top (current) spec desktop pc for reliable gaming. after that i'd probably blow the money on hookers and coke.
Why buy macs when you can build a custom PC and install retail OSX onto it and it runs 10x faster than any Mac money can buy?
probably because he'd od on coke with all the money he could save as a result .
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
I'd design and implement an AI system into my house, along with multiple PCs with LAN capabilities for friends.

Specs would change every few months. I'd need thick walls with the amount of shit that would be hidden behind them.
Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

yeah but would you really do that, though? i mean... really? if i honestly had an infinite tech budget i'd just buy a few macs (as has been said) and would maybe keep one top (current) spec desktop pc for reliable gaming. after that i'd probably blow the money on hookers and coke.
Why buy macs when you can build a custom PC and install retail OSX onto it and it runs 10x faster than any Mac money can buy?
Because they're nice to look at.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Uzique wrote:

uuum nah. whilst we're on the stereotypes train though... what would you buy? nothing because you'd distribute it to all of your fellow peasant countrymen for make good of glorious soviet union? okay then.

zimmer i'd buy a mac because they're no fuss. why a top spec pc? shit still doesn't work on them. i've never built a pc once that's just worked for 6 months with no flaws. i bought a mac and it has never crashed. if i had an infinite budget i'd want to buy some technology that could do everything i wanted with minimum fuss so i'd never have to worry about the tech/gadget front again. who cares if you can technically get higher-spec parts in a custom pc? it's seldom used. shit i custom built a new pc about 4 months ago and i use the hardware to about a 10th of its potential - and even when i max it out (e.g. on pc only dx11 shitfest games like bad company 2) i'm sorely disappointed with my value-for-money and entertainment value. so yeah i'd be pretty happy with a no fuss, peace-of-mind mac that would effortlessly take care of all my computing needs. hardware competitions and benchmarks don't interest me at all because it has abso-fucking-lutely no use or real-world applicability at all outside of those stupid 3dmark benchmark numbers.

and of course they're nice to look at. who doesn't consider aesthetics when buying a pc? sure have seen a lot of discussion about nice looking heatsinks (noctua) and lots of fapping over pc cases here that was a lot NOT to do with air-flow and accessibility (i.e. omfggg i want a case with matte-black painted interior). so you guys can hardly lord it over the 'aesthetic and superficial' mac crowd because they - shock! horror! - value good design and simplistic appearances as well as seamless user-experiences. the hypocrisy in the anti-mac thing is as old as the pc-mac debate itself. it's very boring.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Dilbert_X wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Don't see the point of coke.
to be fair you've already admitted you barely see the point in being social and going to parties at all so i doubt you'd see the party-atmosphere appeal of some bravado-inducing white snow
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Uzique wrote:

[...] i've never built a pc once that's just worked for 6 months with no flaws [...]
You mustn't be very good at assembling computers.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
yeah because driver bluescreens and windows crashes arising from updates and subsequent conflicts have a lot to do with hardware assembly.

you can't argue about windows being a lot more unstable and a lot more temperamental than osx. for whatever reason.

as i said the mac is a consumer option that just works from the get-go. why would you want any more hassle than that if money was no object?

Last edited by Uzique (2011-05-13 14:12:52)

Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Uzique wrote:

yeah because driver bluescreens and windows crashes arising from updates and subsequent conflicts have a lot to do with hardware assembly.

you can't argue about windows being a lot more unstable and a lot more temperamental than osx. for whatever reason.
You mustn't be very good at maintaining your operating system.

Uzique wrote:

as i said the mac is a consumer option that just works from the get-go. why would you want any more hassle than that if money was no object?
Compatibility, of course.

That said, if I were to ever buy an Apple-branded computer, I would run Windows exclusively on it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
hahaha well then you're a total fucking MORON. you sarcastically comment that i'd only buy an apple "for the looks"... so you'd pay a massive price for marked-up components (which, as zimmer has pointed out, you can get more cheaply in a windows laptop or desktop build)... and then you'd strip out OSX and all apple products? so you're basically ONLY BUYING IT FOR THE LOOKS.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
I love watching you flip your shit.

It's so funny. This was my favourite bit:

Uzique wrote:

Shahter wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

uuum nah. whilst we're on the stereotypes train though...

Read back on your posts.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i just quoted the exact same post 4 posts ago. you read back? haha. od'ing is a no ty scenario.

and how am i flipping my shit? freezer is hilarious. he's anti-mac for the sake of being anti-mac and directly contradicts himself and looks like a twat. "hurf durf people only buy macs for the looks because they're stupid... though i'd spend £2000 on a macbook so i could run it like an expensive version of windows with nothing apple about it except for the exterior appearance".
Sturgeon
+488|4911|Flintshire
Why don't you just admit your love for uzi, this sexual tension between you is too much.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/3dda27c6d0d9b22836605b152b9d214b99507f91.png
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
I think, Aaron, he'd only buy the mac if he won the lottery.. check the thread title..
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
how does that change the meaning of this sentence in any way?

That said, if I were to ever buy an Apple-branded computer, I would run Windows exclusively on it.
jsnipy
+3,276|6492|...

my set up would be in wherever in the world i was; probably would are fuck all about that sort of shit with the liberty to go where i wanted
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black

Uzique wrote:

"hurf durf people only buy macs for the looks because they're stupid... though i'd spend £2000 on a macbook so i could run it like an expensive version of windows with nothing apple about it except for the exterior appearance".
Makes it sound like he'd spend his money on it.. now.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Uzique, you misunderstood my post. I wasn't bashing Macs at all, I acknowledge that OSX is quite a fantastic operating system (I'm using it now) which is why I said - Why not buy a great PC and install OSX on it? It's no fuss and it's not going to crash on you.... The crashing is done because of the operating system, not because of the hardware. And I can assure you that the hardware inside Macs is not at the same quality level as of the individual parts you can buy (just like any premade computer of course).

I was merely suggesting you make your money count and spend less on the Mac hardware itself and still run what you love. You can even make it beautiful (with that much money you can design your case, and I would of course buy the Apple Cinema display) without much of a fuss. My PC running OSX outperforms most Macs that cost upwards of £3000, so that was my reasoning behind it all. I wasn't talking about Macbooks, go buy them if you want them.

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
like i said if money was no object why would you care about the specific hardware and whatnot? just get a top spec macbook pro and never think about the question again (because you don't really have to)
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6726|Scotland

Uzique wrote:

like i said if money was no object why would you care about the specific hardware and whatnot? just get a top spec macbook pro and never think about the question again (because you don't really have to)
For a desktop you'll still get more performance out of a custom built than the Mac, so it's less about money saved and more about what you get.

But fair enough. I've never had a laptop nor needed one so I will never know.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Uzique wrote:

hahaha well then you're a total fucking MORON. you sarcastically comment that i'd only buy an apple "for the looks"... so you'd pay a massive price for marked-up components (which, as zimmer has pointed out, you can get more cheaply in a windows laptop or desktop build)... and then you'd strip out OSX and all apple products? so you're basically ONLY BUYING IT FOR THE LOOKS.
I wasn't being sarcastic. They are nice to look at, and that can be an important factor when choosing a computer.

Uzique wrote:

i just quoted the exact same post 4 posts ago. you read back? haha. od'ing is a no ty scenario.

and how am i flipping my shit? freezer is hilarious. he's anti-mac for the sake of being anti-mac and directly contradicts himself and looks like a twat. "hurf durf people only buy macs for the looks because they're stupid... though i'd spend £2000 on a macbook so i could run it like an expensive version of windows with nothing apple about it except for the exterior appearance".
I'm not "anti-Mac", I just don't consider myself to be a fan of the general form-over-function agenda that Apple have.

By the way, if I were to purchase an Apple computer, it would be an Imac, they're so practical. I couldn't give a toss about the other products in the range, they usually won't do anything I need that the competitors won't.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2011-05-13 16:30:25)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
how is a mac form over function? they have a function and they do it amazingly well. i completely fail to see how apple's priority is on their design. their imacs and their macbooks have looked exactly the same (save the switch to aluminium unibody) for years. where's the heavy reliance on form? all of their updates have provided real hardware and osx upgrades. i just don't get it.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
If you won the lottery, what tech argument would you get into?
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

I'm thinking about the more technical aspects of it; they sacrifice things like cooling (100-degree-Celsius i7 Macbook Pros), performance (Running Macbooks without battery inserted), serviceability (New Imacs' hard drive connector, Macbook Pro batteries) and even usability (17" laptops without numpad, arguably the chiclet keyboards) in order for their products to appear more streamlined. That is bad product design in my book, and something that I prefer steering clear of.

Please, don't refute any of the aforementioned points, I'm not going to get into an argument about it. The only conclusion we would be able to reach through that is that we have different opinions regarding what product design choices are to be prioritised.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois
https://i52.tinypic.com/2cx86k0.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
lol... ok.

gb2 bible camp

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard