vjs
+19|6806
Also i think I found the solution to my problem of being disconnected. It's part of the MYTH's about WinXP.

Here is the myth:
QoS Tweak

Myth - "Disabling QoS will free up the 20% bandwidth reserved by QoS"

Reality - "As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. 100% of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20% of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host."

Holy HECK what the HE77 does that mean?

Here MS denies the claim...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … US;Q316666

Here is how to do it:

http://www.clankiller.com/technical/twe … tweaks.php

So what is the story?

Some people believe that Microsoft reserved 20% of your bandwidth for MS related products, (example, live updates, outlook "mail", internet explorer, etc etc etc".

If you search on the web for it there are opinions both ways, some techs even call it a stupid conspiracy theory. However I believe that MS tries to make their products faster etc so it doesn't supprise me that this bandwidth is not reserved (BUT REMOVED FOR EVERYTHING BUT) MS products.

Is it a myth? Well there is a value in the registry for it so it does exist the only question is the deffition of the word reserved. Does reserve mean "ONLY FOR MS PRODUCTS" or "MS can use it when it wants but if it's not using it will give ti to other programs (this is what they say)". Or is it reserved for a particular length of time then released? Perhaps this wait time is too long before it's released... ... ...

You can see how the first option is easier to program...

Well I think this myth is busted for me at this point... the myth is nolonger a myth but true, or MS is bandwidth greedy and doesn't release the 20% as fast as it should.

I've always left this value alone, 20% reserved for microsoft.
However my cousin convinced me to change it to 0%. This was an easy convince since he brought his computer over to my place and was downloading off the web at +600 kp/s, I personally had never seen anything beyond about 500 (500 is a big MAYBE) but could get 490 kp/s quite often but to break a 500... don't think I ever saw it. So, I did the switch to 0% and volia I download a mpg at 600+ kp/s but my webserfing while downloading was pretty much useless.

Personally this started to make alot of sence to me, 500 kp/s works out to be about a 4Mbit line which doesn't exist through time warner.  It's either a 3Mbit or 5Mbit.

5Mbit: So 5000 bit / 8 bit per byte = 625 kbp/s if you reserve 20% you'd only get 500 kp/s

3Mbit: So 3000 bit / 8 bit per byte = 375 kbp/s if you reserve 20% you'd only get 300 kp/s

Pretty convincing evidence in my mind about QoS and the 20% if you ever study your bandwidth speed.

Now for BF2, I was being disconnected quite often after doing the tips and tweaks for lag reduction and was blaming it on the PB and tne 500 option. What I think is happening is while BF2 is playing it consumes all of the bandwidth (Which would be 80%), this is evidient since my torrents will drop to zero upload/download and dissconnect after some time but I'd rarely get disconnected from BF2 servers but would have a higher ping.

So I think Punkbuster works within this 20% window (Is PB a microsoft product? I believe the answer is yes and it works within this window). Now, since I removed this reserved 20% when punkbuster tries to send information the bandwidth hangs and I loose connection.

What I did was change this 20% from my 0% to 7%, in otherwords I'm now allowing 7% of my bandwidth to be dedicated to MS. Since then I have never been disconnected from a server unless the server crashes (I.e. login to the same server once disconnected and the round has restarted or nobody is there).

What I'm basically saying is there must be some minimum window of reserved % which should be left on. However you can increase your network speed by using some % less than 20. 7% works but I'm thinking of moving this down to about 3% until I start getting disconnects.

Perhaps if your getting alot of dropped server connects maybe even raising this value to 30% might help.

Hope this helps everyone. Anyone know how much information PB sends every 200 sec?

Last edited by vjs (2006-05-15 10:30:08)

JaM3z
Banned
+311|6745
this has worked great  I LOVE YOU *hip thrusts vjs*
Gotham
+3|6767
I think ill try this tonight
Seaneroo
+12|6693
I tried to follow the instructions, but my computer couldn't find "gpedit.msc"  Any thoughts? (and no, i didn't use the quotes).
JaM3z
Banned
+311|6745
are you using XP, sorry a dumb question but that will help us to find your problem, also are you using widows xp sp2?
Souljah
+42|6702
hmm....worth a shot
khmer
+86|6712|Central California
Thanks I'll give it a try.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6751
ill try
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
vjs
+19|6806
Anyone else try this? Currenlty I decreased the % to 5% for MS and havn't had any further problems with disconnects or substantial web page load times.

I guess I solved the problem I created... it would be interesting to note if increasing this value to 30 helps out those with constant disconnect issues but no or minimal ingame lag.
PFCStenzel
Check your AA alarm...
+82|6829|Idaho, USA / Age 30

vjs wrote:

Also i think I found the solution to my problem of being disconnected. It's part of the MYTH's about WinXP.

Here is the myth:
QoS Tweak

Myth - "Disabling QoS will free up the 20% bandwidth reserved by QoS"

Reality - "As in Windows 2000, programs can take advantage of QoS through the QoS APIs in Windows XP. 100% of the network bandwidth is available to be shared by all programs unless a program specifically requests priority bandwidth. This "reserved" bandwidth is still available to other programs unless the requesting program is sending data. By default, programs can reserve up to an aggregate bandwidth of 20% of the underlying link speed on each interface on an end computer. If the program that reserved the bandwidth is not sending sufficient data to use it, the unused part of the reserved bandwidth is available for other data flows on the same host."

Holy HECK what the HE77 does that mean?

Here MS denies the claim...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as … US;Q316666

Here is how to do it:

http://www.clankiller.com/technical/twe … tweaks.php

So what is the story?

Some people believe that Microsoft reserved 20% of your bandwidth for MS related products, (example, live updates, outlook "mail", internet explorer, etc etc etc".

If you search on the web for it there are opinions both ways, some techs even call it a stupid conspiracy theory. However I believe that MS tries to make their products faster etc so it doesn't supprise me that this bandwidth is not reserved (BUT REMOVED FOR EVERYTHING BUT) MS products.

Is it a myth? Well there is a value in the registry for it so it does exist the only question is the deffition of the word reserved. Does reserve mean "ONLY FOR MS PRODUCTS" or "MS can use it when it wants but if it's not using it will give ti to other programs (this is what they say)". Or is it reserved for a particular length of time then released? Perhaps this wait time is too long before it's released... ... ...

You can see how the first option is easier to program...

Well I think this myth is busted for me at this point... the myth is nolonger a myth but true, or MS is bandwidth greedy and doesn't release the 20% as fast as it should.

I've always left this value alone, 20% reserved for microsoft.
However my cousin convinced me to change it to 0%. This was an easy convince since he brought his computer over to my place and was downloading off the web at +600 kp/s, I personally had never seen anything beyond about 500 (500 is a big MAYBE) but could get 490 kp/s quite often but to break a 500... don't think I ever saw it. So, I did the switch to 0% and volia I download a mpg at 600+ kp/s but my webserfing while downloading was pretty much useless.

Personally this started to make alot of sence to me, 500 kp/s works out to be about a 4Mbit line which doesn't exist through time warner.  It's either a 3Mbit or 5Mbit.

5Mbit: So 5000 bit / 8 bit per byte = 625 kbp/s if you reserve 20% you'd only get 500 kp/s

3Mbit: So 3000 bit / 8 bit per byte = 375 kbp/s if you reserve 20% you'd only get 300 kp/s

Pretty convincing evidence in my mind about QoS and the 20% if you ever study your bandwidth speed.

Now for BF2, I was being disconnected quite often after doing the tips and tweaks for lag reduction and was blaming it on the PB and tne 500 option. What I think is happening is while BF2 is playing it consumes all of the bandwidth (Which would be 80%), this is evidient since my torrents will drop to zero upload/download and dissconnect after some time but I'd rarely get disconnected from BF2 servers but would have a higher ping.

So I think Punkbuster works within this 20% window (Is PB a microsoft product? I believe the answer is yes and it works within this window). Now, since I removed this reserved 20% when punkbuster tries to send information the bandwidth hangs and I loose connection.

What I did was change this 20% from my 0% to 7%, in otherwords I'm now allowing 7% of my bandwidth to be dedicated to MS. Since then I have never been disconnected from a server unless the server crashes (I.e. login to the same server once disconnected and the round has restarted or nobody is there).

What I'm basically saying is there must be some minimum window of reserved % which should be left on. However you can increase your network speed by using some % less than 20. 7% works but I'm thinking of moving this down to about 3% until I start getting disconnects.

Perhaps if your getting alot of dropped server connects maybe even raising this value to 30% might help.

Hope this helps everyone. Anyone know how much information PB sends every 200 sec?
My problem is having the graphics set to high or even medium and I get a bad file has closed the game out completely.   Which is in the alert logs.  Stupid TMP file that has caused the game to close out.  This happens quite a bit.  I have tried a quick reinstall to see if the file is missing or corrupted but that doesn't help.  I am going to try a full manual uninstall and reinstall it and see if that helps.   Anyone else have an idea on this.  The file is like ~509.tmp and so.
vjs
+19|6806
Holy heck where do you find that alert log???

I didn't see in the BF2 folder, are you talking about a windows alert log???
Hurricane
Banned
+1,153|6665|Washington, DC

My computer can't find gpedit.msc. Win XP, SP2.
Seaneroo
+12|6693

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

Same here.
Homie22
+34|6646|Orange County, California

Seaneroo wrote:

ExecutionerStyle wrote:

Same here.
samez
washow
Get out of MY JET!!!
+23|6747
that means if i leave it at default which is 20%, i shouldn't be lagging/disconncting
but i always get the dam "connection problem" message and it's driving me crazy

and does it work on XP too?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard