Was working on the basic explosives badge last night and had about 10 kills when my system crashed following the glorious jihad jeeping of an enemy tank.  Swore, yelled, etc., then restarted the game and found the same server.  Reconnected and saw my score had been retained, which wasn't news.  Finished up the round with a few more C4 kills but never got the awards notification so I figured I was 1 or 2 short.

Once BFHQ had received the round from the server it showed the badge having been awarded!!!

Reconnect handling could be even better, if there was a nice big shiny red reconnect button that appeared after a crash, or if it gave the award notification in game.  But it was an unexpectedly pleasant surprise receiving the badge.

BTW, for those griping how hard the basic explosives badge is, this was my first round focused solely on getting the badge.  I didn't even go to the extreme of playing on an under-populated 64 person server.  Did it on Karkand 32 with about 24 players.  Some C4 throwing against infantry and onto tanks/APCs plus 3 or 4 jihad-jeepings against armor/APCs.  And came away with an above average K ratio for the round!