Banned
+965|5386|Cleveland, Ohio
you were correct
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6888|Toronto | Canada

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I did a project with an engineering firm a couple years ago who had previously done a study on helmets on bicycles.  They discovered that in pretty much 99% of cases, wearing one of those basic bicycle helmets wont help you in the slightest for protecting against brain damage or neck injury.  Their main protection is against scrapes when you hit the ground.

That said, I still wear one whenever I bike.
As I understand it, if you're hit and land in such a way that you die, it'll happen with or without a helmet. However, a helmet can greatly reduced the chance of concussions or worse.
Not really, its compared to wearing gloves when you fall.  They'll protect you from scrapes and stuff like that, but won't protect against a broken finger (or neck).  I'd obviously never advocate against wearing one on the 1% chance that it could help you, but there is no proof that they have a significant effect on preventing serious head injuries.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6686|Long Island, New York
I did play for 4 years... switched between right D and right wing a lot. CCM was always my preferred brand.

For the rare occasion I played goal, I'd use my friend's Koho stuff. Loved it. The only player who still uses Koho is Jonas Hiller of the Ducks though, I think. Shame. Good brand.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6798

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

I did a project with an engineering firm a couple years ago who had previously done a study on helmets on bicycles.  They discovered that in pretty much 99% of cases, wearing one of those basic bicycle helmets wont help you in the slightest for protecting against brain damage or neck injury.  Their main protection is against scrapes when you hit the ground.

As I understand it, if you're hit and land in such a way that you die, it'll happen with or without a helmet. However, a helmet can greatly reduced the chance of concussions or worse.
Not really, its compared to wearing gloves when you fall.  They'll protect you from scrapes and stuff like that, but won't protect against a broken finger (or neck).  I'd obviously never advocate against wearing one on the 1% chance that it could help you, but there is no proof that they have a significant effect on preventing serious head injuries.
I don't see how having a few inches of polystyrene wrapped around your head can't help though. It's gotta take some of the force away from your head. People are wearing basically the same things in mountain biking, motocross, snowboarding. Why would riding on the road be any different?
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6649|so randum
helmets (good ones) protect quite well vs the brain being bashed around in the skull. ofc if you get hit by a car going at 30 this won't make a difference, but if you slice the curb at 10, it might stop you becoming stooopid
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

I dont pretend to know the exact details behind it, but I know his study showed that that helmets provided such an insignificant effect that it was negligible in most cases.  Even googling it quickly now showed that there was no conclusive evidence of an advantage.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Yes there is.

As an aside, anecdotal story - my brother crashed his motorbike in Thailand while we were there last week.  There was a sand on a bend in the road and as he isn't really accustomed to riding a motorbike he tried to brake when he hit it and ended up laying it down and sliding about 15 feet.  He was wearing his helmet and hit his head.  He suffered a concussion.  Had he not worn his helmet he would be looking at serious head trauma.  The helmet cracked from the impact, too.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!

Motorcycle helmet != bicycle helmet.  Those are two entirely different things.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

anecdotal story about helmets in general.  There is plenty empirical evidence that wearing a helmet protects more than not wearing a helmet in some accidents.  Of course if the impact is severe enough a helmet won't help.  But the evidence is there.  Google it

here you go

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tech-t … cling.html

even googling it quickly
Sisco
grandmaster league revivalist
+493|6492

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

The Communist Manifesto - Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler
The Prince -  Niccolò Machiavelli
The Odyssey - Homer

(Waits for someone to ridicule my choice of texts )
I´m going to order Homer´s Odyssey too along with Ilias next month when I get paid.
https://www.abload.de/img/bf3-bf2ssig0250wvn.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
that list reads like the first-year reading list of an englit degree
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6298|'straya

Uzique wrote:

that list reads like the first-year reading list of an englit degree
Or the reading list of an interested 2nd year politics/international relations student.
In my first year englit courses we mainly stayed with the classic fiction texts rather than delving into the political ones.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
when you do a proper englit course you have to read lots of theory and philosophy, too

seeing as marxism is the biggest critical idiom of the 20th century... all that stuff is elementary reading

and homer is like a staple, of course

i woulda thought a hardcore politics/ir course would be far more intensive than just the tokenistic titles
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6298|'straya

Uzique wrote:

when you do a proper englit course you have to read lots of theory and philosophy, too

seeing as marxism is the biggest critical idiom of the 20th century... all that stuff is elementary reading

i woulda thought a hardcore politics/ir course would be far more intensive than just the tokenistic titles
This is for my personal reading, my courses go far more in depth. I've read these these texts years ago, I just decided to actually buy them. ($2.50-$4 each wasn't too bad )

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2011-04-30 16:29:58)

ghettoperson
+1,943|6798

Uzique wrote:

It's mostly fairly contemporary authors. Clausewitz is probably the only sort of text we read along those sorts of lines.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4991|Amsterdam
A 10lb tub of whey. (didnt take banana for the first time, i ordered strawberry)
I always think to myself: This time im going to order it in time.
But no.
I ordered it in time so that i had enough scoops for that day, but i ordered on friday so i wont get it till monday and i dont have enough for the weekend.
Had to buy 9 scoops from a friend of mine.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619

ghettoperson wrote:

Uzique wrote:

It's mostly fairly contemporary authors. Clausewitz is probably the only sort of text we read along those sorts of lines.
you're doing politics/ir at... keele? can't remember. i looked at IR courses for postgrad but the cambridge and warwick ones seem to be pretty much exclusively big-money donation pots for the spoiled brats of europe
ghettoperson
+1,943|6798

IR at Keele yes. If I do postgrad, I'll probably be doing it in Holland.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
i would do postgrad abroad but it doesn't make much sense when english is your degree
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

I think an ir postgraduate degree is a waste of time unless you're getting a law degree too
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
the top ones here (cam/war) are just fast-tracks for european diplomats and privileged kids that want into an easy job at an embassy, an ngo, or a thinktank-like organisation.

Last edited by Uzique (2011-05-01 08:43:38)

KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

Yeah that (think tank) was my initial consideration when I was pursuing my degree but like many people I became a bit jaded with that avenue.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6619
im ignoring the fazing and jading aspects of my degree and holding dear to the ambition of academia with the lifetime perk of pink undergrad poontang
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,977|6781|949

Just stock up on your tweed jackets with suede elbow patches. Maybe throw in a vintage pipe to complete the look
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,738|6886|Oxferd Ohire
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard