unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

Shitty communication on the road is the cause, I think, of far more wrecks than breaking speed limits by 15mph or so. I've been in far more near wrecks from people cutting in front of me without warning and slamming on their brakes than from them passing me at half again my truck's speed.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5180|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

You can control your own driving by paying attention to other drivers and drive defensively. My reaction time is far quicker than any computer currently is in this regard.
no way.

not if the computers in all cars are communicating with each other and etc.
Umm, it might work in Star Trek, but no. I can see and understand the driving conditions on the road far better than any computer can.

Out of interest, do you hold a licence?

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-04-28 19:15:02)

HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5486|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Jaekus wrote:

Umm, it might work in Star Trek, but no. I can see and understand the driving conditions on the road far better than any computer can.
it depends on the program
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney
I like the freedom to choose my driving, rather than being told where to drive, thanks.
HaiBai
its stupid though.  we could improve safety and save time.  it would be beneficial to everyone.  you would reject this just because of some stupid argument for freedom?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

^ someone obviously doesn't drive. if he did, he'd drive his ass to the post office for a stamp . . .
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5239|Cleveland, Ohio
jesus drives him
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6579|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!

Jaekus wrote:

I type some stuff on the internet when I'm drunk that I normally wouldn't. Imagine what a drunk person punching into a computer program designed to drive their car home could do?
Toutch screen, Press home...Voila! On your way...i recon we are a long way from this, but still, could be cool!...Big road trip...feeling sleepy, punch in location...profit!

13rin wrote:

Jay wrote:

So the car I drive on a daily basis has a fuel consumption meter which tells you both the instantaneous and average rates of change. Very useful. Lately I've been trying to keep it pegged at 30 mpg in order to maximize my fuel economy while maintaining a sane rate of travel. Now, the roads around me are not very flat, and are in fact a lot hillier than people seem to realize. Because I try to keep my mpg pegged rather than my mph, my speed tends to wobble between 50 mph on the uphills and 75 mph on the downhills (dependent on the length and height change, of course).

Now, the point... The travesty in my eyes is the way we are forced to drive because of speed limits. Instead of being allowed to accelerate when accelerating would make sense i.e. the downslope, that is when the speed limit forces me to brake instead. Instead of carrying that increased speed into the next upslope, I'm forced to increase my RPMs in order to maintain speed thus increasing my fuel consumption greatly.

There's no real point to this other than to point out that maintaining a certain speed does nothing to increase fuel economy, it's the maintenance of RPMs that correlates with fuel economy. I'm not advocating the end of speed limits, just felt like pointing out a logical flaw in modern law. The 55 mph limit was imposed in the 1970s under the false assumption that it would increase fuel economy in vehicles. Just another example of unintended consequences for knee jerk legislation.
Make your own speed limit whenever possible.  However drive within your limits and above all, reason.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/2 … 460x0w.jpg

However if this isn't an option for you, please drive in the right lane lest you need to turn left.  We can exist in harmony drive your way, please... I'll stay outta your way if you stay outta mine, we'll signal intent.
I see i am not the only one making my own speed limit whenever i can? This thing is pure awesome...unless the authorities around you have RDD

Last edited by Roger Lesboules (2011-04-28 19:50:09)

mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6718|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX

FatherTed wrote:

Jay wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

i can't wait until the day programs completely take over the driving of a vehicle
I enjoy driving (sometimes) but I wouldn't mind if that happened at all. It would free up a lot of time for other stuff (which is the definition of quality of life).
i have no real issue with this being public as long as a) people driving can at any time take control and b) this is never ALWAYS on - weekend drivers doing B road blasts is too too fun

also adding to ghettos experiences... drivers on american highways are much worse at spatial awareness than the UK - and on average we're going faster

no troll, why is this? i think we both got motorways at the same time and our tests are fairly comparable so?
Probably because many (maybe most) Americans only give half their attention to the road while they're multi-tasking on something else like eating, talking on the phone, or just paying more attention to what's on the radio than what's in front of them.  They'll eventually give their full attention to driving but only when they're in that 'act now or you're screwed' area, hence the appearance of no spatial awareness.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

its stupid though.  we could improve safety and save time.  it would be beneficial to everyone.  you would reject this just because of some stupid argument for freedom?
When you grow up and learn to drive and have a licence you will think differently. Seeing as your parents still drive you everywhere I can understand why you think this fantasy is somehow a good idea.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Over long distances top speed is inversely proportional to fuel economy, above about 55-60 mph.

Either buy a car with braking energy recovery or shut up.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ghettoperson
+1,943|6651

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I type some stuff on the internet when I'm drunk that I normally wouldn't. Imagine what a drunk person punching into a computer program designed to drive their car home could do?
Toutch screen, Press home...Voila! On your way...i recon we are a long way from this, but still, could be cool!...Big road trip...feeling sleepy, punch in location...profit!
Yeah but I'd always press the 'Strip Club' button.
13rin
+977|6481

Roger Lesboules wrote:

I see i am not the only one making my own speed limit whenever i can? This thing is pure awesome...unless the authorities around you have RDD
Radar Detection Devices?

Yea.  In some States fuzzbusters are illegal.  But not in my neck of the woods.    I'm currently investigating the best option for mah' bike.  Trying to see if there is a cop behind you via mirrors is impossible.  A head check is too obvious.

Last edited by 13rin (2011-04-29 18:18:22)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
HaiBai

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

When you grow up and learn to drive and have a licence you will think differently. Seeing as your parents still drive you everywhere I can understand why you think this fantasy is somehow a good idea.

i got my license last august.  id much rather be safer and travel faster then have some stupid freedom of driving
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

13rin wrote:

Roger Lesboules wrote:

Radar Detection Devices?

Yea.  In some States fuzzbusters are illegal.  But not in my neck of the woods.  That lil' guy has kept me outta jail!  I'm currently investigating the best option for mah' bike.  Trying to see if there is a cop behind you via mirrors is impossible.  A head check is too obvious.
Here we got point to point cameras that grab your average speed lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6774|PNW

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

i got my license last august.  id much rather be safer and travel faster then have some stupid freedom of driving
So you're going to have computers drive cars with their flawless programming?

gg
HaiBai
i already mentioned that a program would have less error then natural human error.
War Man
Australians are hermaphrodites.
+563|6716|Purplicious Wisconsin
Well, programs have error because humans who designed them have errors.
The irony of guns, is that they can save lives.
Jaekus
+957|5180|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

id much rather be safer and travel faster then have some stupid freedom of driving
some stupid freedom of driving
stupid freedom
Your forefathers would be ASHAMED.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

id much rather be safer and travel faster then have some stupid freedom of driving
some stupid freedom of driving
stupid freedom
Your forefathers would be ASHAMED.
hes practically a fucking vietcong
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
HaiBai
so we shouldnt have to require kids to go to school either.

even though it's obviously for the benefit of society, they should of the freedom to choose whether they should go to school
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

HaiBai wrote:

so we shouldnt have to require kids to go to school either.

even though it's obviously for the benefit of society, they should of the freedom to choose whether they should go to school
we should take the warning labels off of everything, let nature take it's course. if you"re God fearing, you should have no worries.
HaiBai
stupid analogy
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
What we should really do is give grenades to infants.
That way only the smart kids live long enough to reproduce.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6499

HaiBai wrote:

stupid analogy
i had to dumb it down for the pollack in the thread

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard