Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Math is killing me, more because I severely lack motivation if anything.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5503|London, England

eleven bravo wrote:

its the stacking of people on top of each other
It's better than the urban sprawl of LA imo. To each his own.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
I don't like cities
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

I don't like cities
I don't either. I live in the most suburban part of NYC.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6717

Shocking wrote:

I don't like cities
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam
I like Amsterdam i guess. I wont say that its the greatest city on earth, but its got some pretty buildings (although i like manhattens skyscrapers a lot more) and its not too crowded, even in the city centre
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam
Manhatten is very cool to visit, but would i want to live there? probably not
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
Not even that tbh, the only good part is that shops are open almost always. I grew up in the countryside and I'm so used to having a lot of space around me, living in the city makes me somewhat uncomfortable. Also, they're ugly and the air definitely smells different.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
See? I would live in fear of not being able to have an ambulance arrive in time if I lived in the country. It would also annoy me when all the shops closed at 7-8pm. As much as I hate the city most of the time, there are definitely benefits.
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6823|The North, beyond the wall.
So it's like friends then?

cause ya know, i liked friends...
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
And like you said, people have a bubble around them. I notice I'm getting one as well, most people who randomly talk to me on the street just want me to sign some fucking survey or donate to XXX with an emotional story, or they're beggars and crazy people. It makes you sort of anti-social really, I don't like it at all. I don't think people are supposed to live so on top of eachother.
inane little opines
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

Jay wrote:

See? I would live in fear of not being able to have an ambulance arrive in time if I lived in the country. It would also annoy me when all the shops closed at 7-8pm. As much as I hate the city most of the time, there are definitely benefits.
As a kid I was really reckless so I got myself hurt a lot, you're right it takes a long time till help arrives - if even that . Never really bothered me that much though.

Also I'd like to have a large dog, not really a good idea in a city.

Last edited by Shocking (2011-04-20 10:29:21)

inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

And like you said, people have a bubble around them. I notice I'm getting one as well, most people who randomly talk to me on the street just want me to sign some fucking survey or donate to XXX with an emotional story, or they're beggars and crazy people. It makes you sort of anti-social really, I don't like it at all. I don't think people are supposed to live so on top of eachother.
Well, Amsterdam is extraordinarily cramped. My fiancee watches a show called International House Hunters sometimes and there have been a few episodes focused on finding housing in the city. You Euros put up with a lot smaller quarters than (non-poverty) Americans would ever tolerate. And the prices... mein gott!
-Frederick Bastiat
jord
+2,382|6823|The North, beyond the wall.

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

As a kid I was really reckless so I got myself hurt a lot, you're right it takes a long time till help arrives - if even that . Never really bothered me that much though.

I want a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog but I just don't have the time nor motivation to take one out walking daily/twice a day.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...
mein gott idd... I don't live in Amsterdam though, Utrecht. But it's sort of the same situation, dutch cities eh. You can get a house 10x the size in the countryside for the same price you'd pay for a shitty small one in or near the city.

If you work in a city it's sort of unavoidable to go living there though, morning traffic is horrendous and you don't want to get caught up in that.
inane little opines
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Well, Amsterdam is extraordinarily cramped. My fiancee watches a show called International House Hunters sometimes and there have been a few episodes focused on finding housing in the city. You Euros put up with a lot smaller quarters than (non-poverty) Americans would ever tolerate. And the prices... mein gott!
yeah, pices in city centre as insane. You pay a fortune for a cramped little house, that is beautiful on the outisde (old style canalhouse), meh on the inside (old as fuck, pretty for looks, but not so handy with the piped and sockets etc) and small.
For the money of a small canalhouse you could have a mansion in the USA
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam
Suburds arent that bad. Its still a lot more expensive than the US. My house was a bit on the expensive side, but its very large. Downside of living in the suburbs: The houses are ugly as fuck on the outside.
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|6144|...

jord wrote:

Shocking wrote:

Jay wrote:

I want a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog but I just don't have the time nor motivation to take one out walking daily/twice a day.
I want one of these

Grew up with large dogs, can't imagine living without one. Love them.
inane little opines
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

mein gott idd... I don't live in Amsterdam though, Utrecht. But it's sort of the same situation, dutch cities eh. You can get a house 10x the size in the countryside for the same price you'd pay for a shitty small one in or near the city.

If you work in a city it's sort of unavoidable to go living there though, morning traffic is horrendous and you don't want to get caught up in that.
Americans like to fantasize about the cafe lifestyle but it's really an unavoidable manifestation of having such tiny apartments that it's impossible to comfortably entertain.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Shocking wrote:

jord wrote:

Shocking wrote:

I want one of these

I want one of these

https://www.allpetsnetwork.com/images/malamute.jpg
-Frederick Bastiat
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam
What i dont like about about american (suburbian) houses though is how theyre built. Just a wooden frame with some panels on em. If a tornado would hit my house, i think only the windows would break and the garden would be a mess, but that would be about it
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|4988|Amsterdam

Jay wrote:

Shocking wrote:

jord wrote:

I want one of these

I want one of these

http://www.allpetsnetwork.com/images/malamute.jpg
That dog is as ice
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Kampframmer wrote:

What i dont like about about american (suburbian) houses though is how theyre built. Just a wooden frame with some panels on em. If a tornado would hit my house, i think only the windows would break and the garden would be a mess, but that would be about it
It depends on the area but you have to remember that wood is very cheap here. It's also much faster to put up a wooden framed house than it is to build one from brick or stone.

That said, I want to design or purchase a stone home one day (they're a ton more expensive).

Last edited by Jay (2011-04-20 10:40:24)

-Frederick Bastiat
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6717

i would prefer one of these to a dog

https://i.imgur.com/3tzNl.jpg
cowami
OY, BITCHTITS!
+1,106|6435|Noo Yawk, Noo Yawk

'sup internets
https://i.imgur.com/PfIpcdn.gif

Board footer