Incontrovertible
+1|6743|Brisbane, Australia
Ok, we at CR are confused about the commander point system atm.

BF2Tracker says it's based on the average.

http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_gameinfo.php? … coresystem

What is your verdict?

So far from bf2tracker we have:

Originally posted by siiix
Originally posted by Incontrovertible
Ok, we at CR are confused about the commander point system atm.

BF2Tracker says it's based on the average.

http://bf2tracker.com/bf2_gameinfo.php? … coresystem

What is your verdict?
Except the way they put it is not right and confusing
Its NOT “average score” but “average gained but only while your in command”

those to are far not the same, the problem was always that the word "average" is to wage description to understand

under “average team score” I would understand what all the scores from all players in total are divided by the number of players, and that’s your score
but that’s NOT so at all

its far more complex than that, for example –scores don’t count at all, only points gained

I think who ever made this commander scoring system was brilliant, so more I analyzed and tested it so more respect I gained for the coder
http://bf2tracker.com/thread.php?threadid=7309

Thoughts?
Cimlite
+1|6814|Sweden
The way I see it it's like this:

The score is the teams average score, you only accumulate score while your in command (obviously). That's all you get points for, nothing else you do in the game will earn you any more. It's your role to get the team going, fail at that and you fail at commanding.

Anyway. Teamkills works in the way that if someone teamkills, they will have to first regain that score before it starts adding to the commanders score again.

That's how I interpreted it anyway. Could be wrong, please correct me if I am.
Dnamaster
+0|6780|Canada
basicaly every time someone on your team gets a point while you are commanding (dont have to be in commander view) you get a fraction of a point based on how many people are playing so say you have 6 people on your team, someone gets a kill and someoen else gets a neturlize and a cap (6 points total) you get 1

kill = 2 points (2/6)
neturlize = 2 points (2/6)
cap = 2 points (2/6)

2+2+2/6 = 1

the only other way you can get/lose points is by teamkilling (useing means other than arty)

get it?

Last edited by Dnamaster (2005-10-25 19:35:10)

Incontrovertible
/bump. Come on guys we need this solved.

We are holding a local competition. 1st, 2nd, 3rd places. So it's a comp based on individuals, not teams or clans. What we want to know is if the commanders are unequal to the normal player for good or bad reasons.

Input please.

Screenshots of someone being a commander and doing absolutely nothing for the round except spawning would help get us on track.

EDIT: Oh, I'm asking you guys to do this not because I want to ruin my stats, or yours. it is because I don't own BF2. I play BF2 at the Cyber Room (CR) and that is where the comp will be held. Anyone who wants to come to brissie is welcome to come.

Last edited by Incontrovertible (2005-10-26 06:58:57)

Incontrovertible
Overnight results from the bf2tracker topic:

Originally posted by graag
Nobody uses the search button, huh? Here is some stuff which is updated for 1.03, but not everything is in yet:

Commander scoring is defined in  x:\...\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\python\game\scoringCommon.py

If you're commander:
  • everytime someone of your team captures a flag, repairs something or kills an enemy your CMD score goes up by NumPoints / NumberOfAlivePlayersInTeam. If someone captures a flag (2 points) and three other soldiers get a capture assist (3*1 point)  for helping him while there are 6 teammates still alive at that moment you get (2+3)/6 = 0.83 CMD points. If a medic heals someone and there are 5 teammates alive at that moment he gets 1 point and you get 1/5 = 0.2 CMD points.This is the so-called "average team score".
  • there's no regular team score (TS) or combat score (CS) while being a commander; only your stats are affected. If you capture a flag, the flag cap count increases but you don't get points for it. If you kill someone, your kill count (global, kit and weapon/vehicle) increases but you still get 0 points.
  • everything bad you do (teamkill, team damage...) lowers your team score
  • no artillery teamkills = no negative points = good!
  • artillery kills are not shown as kills ingame but they are still added to your global and kit kill count, thus improving your K/D ratio. Usually.
  • you may get some CMD points for artillery kills, resupplies and kills of the enemies you spotted/UAVed but I'm not sure about the mechanism. There are voices circulating about 0.25 pts/arty kill and there's maybe 1 point for each kill, full resupply etc.? Nothing is mentioned in the .py file so the points are coming directly from the game engine. If they are...
  • if your team wins and you're commander at the end of the round, your CMD score is doubled. CMD score of commanders that resigned or left the game before the end of round is not doubled.
  • TS and CS that you gained while you weren't commander are finally added to your CMD score giving the final score. And perhaps a medal too. Don't know what's the relationship with the global score though.
Originally posted by Zartuim
Wow.. that is a train wreck of a command score lay out.

However, I feel it is needed to comment about this "ahem" scoring layout.

As described in the post before mine, it would actually PENALIZE the commander if more people were alive at the time the points were scored (not that I believe the points are scored like that).

Lets use 2 examples..

5 people alive - 2 assist points - 2 points = (2+2)/5 = .8

8 people alive - 2 assist points - 2 points = (2+2)/8 = .5

I don't know how your math goes, but for me .8 is more than .5

My understanding of a good commander is to keep people alive, not get them killed on purpose to increase your score.

I will post my assessment of how the commanders score is calculated when I have finished my analysis.

*Be aware, the score for commanding is NOT added to your score as the match progresses, only at the end.  Thus, the point values for individual items during the match is really not needed.
Originally posted by graag
Nope. Well, in a part yes, but life's a bitch.

I could do it in a simple way like this:

5 peeps, 2 on the flag, 3 scratching their asses:
5 people alive - 2 assist points - 2 points = (2+2)/5 = .8
8 people alive - 2 assist points - 2 points = (2+2)/8 = .5

5 peeps, 2 on the flag, 2 on the other flag, 1 is a commander (scratching his ass):
(Flag capture + Assist) + (Flag capture + Assist) = .5 + .5 = 1
8 peeps, 3*2 on flags, 1 is helping commander = 1.5

but it's way too mundane.
Soooo, some numbers, some factors and some math:

Team size:
Team with 8 men, all alive, one of them gets a kill.
Commander gets  2 / 8 = 0.25 pts

Team with 32 men, all alive, one of them gets a kill.
Commander gets  2 / 32 = 0.06 pts

Yeah, sucks. But:

Team with 8 men, all alive, each of them gets 1 kill except commander.
Commander gets 7 * 2 / 8 = 1.75 pts

Team with 32 men, all alive, each of them gets 1 kill except commander.
Commander gets 31 * 2 / 32 = 1.94 pts

Activity:
Team with 8 men, 1 captures the flag, others are all alive and well and waiting for jet.
Commander gets 1/8 = 0.12 pts

Team with 32 men, 1 captures the flag, others keep on waiting for jets and didn't start the teamkilling yet.
Commander gets 1/32 = 0.03 pts

Dead or alive:
8 men, 2 of them capture a flag, others are still on the deck. 1 Capture+1 assist=3 pts.
Commander gets 3/8 = 0.37 pts

5 on deck (because 1 was  teamkilled), 2 on flag.
Commander gets 3/7 = 0.42 pts

6 on deck, 2 on flag, but one of them dies. 1 capture=2 pts.
Commander gets 2/7 = 0.28 pts

Rain of por, err, points (some conclusions):
Commander is penalised if there are only a few players in his team that actualy do something. He'd do better if the others were courtmartialed and shot.

It's true that commander gets less points on each event if there are more players, but the events also occur more frequently. So
with more players  there is potential to gain (a bit) more points.

As the number of tickets is limited and they decrease with deaths and occupied flags, CommanderWhore (tm, (c) and (r) by me as nobody mentioned it before) should ideally play on a 64 player map, but not too full. There should be a lot of kills, but enemies should be revived to prevent the ticket drain, so remember to leave the enemy medic alive. Your team has to behave like they're at a Balkan wedding, constantly shooting in the air - the support guys are there for a reason. When capturing a flag entire team must be present but as soon the flag is raised they should run to another and let the first one be reoccupied by enemies. Statpadders and BH whores are a godsend too.

j/k

My understanding of a good commander? The main objective is to win the battle, not to keep people alive. But yes, you can't win if you don't keep them alive. Killing them on purpose to increase my score would be low.
=Robin-Hood=
A stranger in the dark
+213|6790|Belgium

And if you would have any other questions concerning commander after the superior post of Incontrovertible read this; http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=542

Cheers,
R
@Incontrovertible; now that's where the search button is for, great job, amen!
Incontrovertible
Oh, I should say that it has been decided not to have a commander in our comp.

Thank-you all for your help. Please feel free to continue discussing this 8)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard