Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5005|Amsterdam

Jebus wrote:

What do you guys think for this as a triceps workout? (After back)

Dips / Seated Triceps Press / Cable Pulldown / Skullcrushers/CGBP supersetted to finish off.

I'm making a new split, emphasizing on weaker parts (like triceps, shoulders and chest)
4 exercises seems a bit intense.
But when do you work out and what part?
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6623|UK
Looks good I do the same except seated triceps press.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

Dips / Seated Triceps Press / Cable Pulldown / Skullcrushers/CGBP supersetted to finish off.

I'm making a new split, emphasizing on weaker parts (like triceps, shoulders and chest)
Why are you doing a cable pulldown? No machines man.

I'd personally superset CGBP with overhead tricep extension and do skullcrushers on their own.

I'm not entirely sure why you're doing 5 exercises for your triceps, that's far too much for a small muscle group.

I'd do this:
Skullcrushers / CGBP supersetted with Tricep extension (same as press) and then dips. Don't do the cable pulldown.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

nukchebi0 wrote:

Decided to go with Romanian deadlift because its the only good way to truly work the hamstrings.

Where did you get that from?
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham … dlift.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham … Raise.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham … rning.html

What a load of rubbish about the "only good way to truly work the hamstrings". There are plenty of methods, the romanian deadlift is just one of them.
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6623|UK

Zimmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

I'd personally superset CGBP with overhead tricep extension and do skullcrushers on their own.

I'm not entirely sure why you're doing 5 exercises for your triceps, that's far too much for a small muscle group.

I'd do this:
Skullcrushers / CGBP supersetted with Tricep extension (same as press) and then dips. Don't do the cable pulldown.
I consider the cable pulldown a bonus in my workout I just use it to full kill the muscle.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

wah1188 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

I'd do this:
I consider the cable pulldown a bonus in my workout I just use it to full kill the muscle.
There's no need for it if you're doing the other tricep exercises properly. Any machine workout is bad, not worth doing.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Decided to go with Romanian deadlift because its the only good way to truly work the hamstrings.

What a load of rubbish about the "only good way to truly work the hamstrings". There are plenty of methods, the romanian deadlift is just one of them.
Um yeah, I forgot qualify that. I can't do the barbell hamstring raise because the gym doesn't have the proper equipment, good mornings look too unsafe to be worth trying, and I don't really have the flexibility (nor a platform) with which to do a straight-legged deadlift.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

nukchebi0 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Um yeah, I forgot qualify that. I can't do the barbell hamstring raise because the gym doesn't have the proper equipment, good mornings look too unsafe to be worth trying, and I don't really have the flexibility (nor a platform) with which to do a straight-legged deadlift.
The straight legged deadlift is meant to improve your flexibility, it's fine if you don't have the flexibility to hit the floor, that guy has, but a lot of people don't.

Do not lower weight beyond mild stretch throughout hamstrings and low back. When finished with set, dismount by lowering weight with knees bent and low back straight. Full range of motion will vary from person to person. Those with less flexibility may not even need to stand on platform.
Come on man, you gotta read instead of just looking at the cool animation
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6623|UK

Zimmer wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

I'd do this:
There's no need for it if you're doing the other tricep exercises properly. Any machine workout is bad, not worth doing.
I consider machine workouts semi-useless, would you go as far as counter-productive?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

wah1188 wrote:

I consider machine workouts semi-useless, would you go as far as counter-productive?
Yeah. They change your natural range of motion. Stick to free weights and you'll be good. Absolutely no point in limiting yourself.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6354|Roma
100kg squat today!

Was seriously thinking of changing the way I work out today after I had to ask 3 different people to spot for me and they all had their own input in doing the exercise differently, or telling em things I already know. Having to get someone to spot almost all my exercises is a pain unless you have a buddy.
Then I was talking to one of the guys who works at the gym doing a similar set of exercises and similar times, hinted a bit, and might have found a buddy in my hour of need
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
wah1188
You orrible caaaaaaan't
+321|6623|UK

PrivateVendetta wrote:

100kg squat today!

Was seriously thinking of changing the way I work out today after I had to ask 3 different people to spot for me and they all had their own input in doing the exercise differently, or telling em things I already know. Having to get someone to spot almost all my exercises is a pain unless you have a buddy.
Then I was talking to one of the guys who works at the gym doing a similar set of exercises and similar times, hinted a bit, and might have found a buddy in my hour of need
Bromance.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6812

Zimmer wrote:

wah1188 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

I'd do this:
I use the cable machines. I figured they're not supporting anything, so it's no worse than using free weights.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

I use the cable machines. I figured they're not supporting anything, so it's no worse than using free weights.
Oh boy

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/free-wei … -machines/
http://www.fitnessgeek.org/attack-of-th … s-are-bad/

Stronglifts wrote:

#4. Using Too Many Machines. This became one of the main reasons why I quit bodybuilding: the strength I had built on machines didn’t transfer to real life. I should have used more free weights instead of the neck press, lat pulldown, …

StrongLifts wrote:

Use Free Weights. You can lift the heaviest weights using barbells. More weight is more stress, thus more muscle. Dumbbells are great for assistance exercises, but not for your main lifts. Stay away from machines.
Tom Venuto says the same. So does every other DECENT workout routine. You figured totally wrong.

They're a lot worse than using free weights, and you're being very ignorant if you think otherwise. Training muscles in total isolation does not give you a true reflection of how much you can lift and what your body's natural range of movement is. What you think is total bullshit. The reason for this is that your body doesn't require stabilizers when using cable machines, as the machine stabilises you in the first place - this produces an imbalance with your muscles and makes your stabilisers very weak. This is a terrible terrible thing, because if you ever switch to free weights, your stabilisers will fail and you'll get bad injuries because of it. Added to the fact that you'll be like "wtf... I can't lift what that cable machine allows me to lift". It's a lazy and poor way out of working out and will not benefit you in the long run. The range of motion is not natural and total muscle isolation is bad for you.

Why do you think the two most important exercises are deadlifts and squats? Because they require most of your bodys muscles and a natural range of motion. Not assisted by any stupid machine.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium

Kampframmer wrote:

Jebus wrote:

4 exercises seems a bit intense.
But when do you work out and what part?
If you mean what split, I was thinking of this

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Wednesday: Legs/Shoulders
Friday: Back/Triceps

@Zimmer: You mean this, right?
-Skullcrushers + CGBP supersetted
-Seated Triceps Extension
-Dips

I'm not certain if I understood you correctly..
ghettoperson
+1,943|6812

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Oh boy

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/free-wei … -machines/
http://www.fitnessgeek.org/attack-of-th … s-are-bad/

Stronglifts wrote:

#4. Using Too Many Machines. This became one of the main reasons why I quit bodybuilding: the strength I had built on machines didn’t transfer to real life. I should have used more free weights instead of the neck press, lat pulldown, …

StrongLifts wrote:

Use Free Weights. You can lift the heaviest weights using barbells. More weight is more stress, thus more muscle. Dumbbells are great for assistance exercises, but not for your main lifts. Stay away from machines.
Tom Venuto says the same. So does every other DECENT workout routine. You figured totally wrong.

They're a lot worse than using free weights, and you're being very ignorant if you think otherwise. Training muscles in total isolation does not give you a true reflection of how much you can lift and what your body's natural range of movement is. What you think is total bullshit. The reason for this is that your body doesn't require stabilizers when using cable machines, as the machine stabilises you in the first place - this produces an imbalance with your muscles and makes your stabilisers very weak. This is a terrible terrible thing, because if you ever switch to free weights, your stabilisers will fail and you'll get bad injuries because of it. Added to the fact that you'll be like "wtf... I can't lift what that cable machine allows me to lift". It's a lazy and poor way out of working out and will not benefit you in the long run. The range of motion is not natural and total muscle isolation is bad for you.

Why do you think the two most important exercises are deadlifts and squats? Because they require most of your bodys muscles and a natural range of motion. Not assisted by any stupid machine.
Oh wait, I may have misunderstood what you meant by cable machines. I was thinking of this type of thing.

https://www.fithire.com/images_products/271.jpg
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium
So was I.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6812

I mean that's going to be exactly the same as doing free weights, surely?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Nope. That's machine assisted. My comments still apply. Free weights are only free weights; there are no "machine exceptions".
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

If you mean what split, I was thinking of this

Monday: Chest/Biceps
Wednesday: Legs/Shoulders
Friday: Back/Triceps

@Zimmer: You mean this, right?
-Skullcrushers + CGBP supersetted
-Seated Triceps Extension
-Dips

I'm not certain if I understood you correctly..
No,

CGBP then supersetted by seated triceps extension.
Then Skullcrushers as another exercise.
Then dips.

That's what I do anyway.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6812

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Nope. That's machine assisted. My comments still apply. Free weights are only free weights; there are no "machine exceptions".
Ok, but how are they bad? I understand with machines where you can't move them in any other fashion as to how it's designed, but machines like the one I posted don't offer you any support.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium
I'm with ghetto on this one. Those cable machines aren't as restricting as the real machines. I really don't see the problem with having one or two exercises of that kind in a workout, just my 0.02$

@Zimmer, I see. I was planning on doing the superset as I stated, as the owner bitches about weights lying around/doing drop sets..
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

ghettoperson wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

ghettoperson wrote:

Ok, but how are they bad? I understand with machines where you can't move them in any other fashion as to how it's designed, but machines like the one I posted don't offer you any support.
But they do to an extent, because the cables go back to where they started, whether you like it or not. You can drop them and you can't execute a bad rep because the cables will move your body back to starting position from the force. Whereas if you had free weights, your stabilisers will be trying their hardest to bring the weights back down in a natural fashion. It's hard to execute a cable exercise incorrectly because the pulleys control your range of motion, not you. The support is there and you're still not using your stabilisers. If you failed on a cable machine like that all that would happen was that you couldn't pull it in any further, whereas if you failed on free weights you'd have to stabilise yourself and get them to the ground or throw them to ground.

A tri pulldown executed on the cable will always take the same course, no matter how much you try and move it - it's not using your stabilisers. Also, by simple physics, pulleys reduce the amount of weight needed to pull something and add support.

You'll never learn how to have proper form with free weights if you continue on the cable, because the form is entirely different.

Sure the cable can move slightly from side to side, but in general terms the movement is quite restricted. You're still isolating more muscles with the cable than with free weights, which causes instability.

Fair enough Jebus, do the one you said, just drop an exercise from it. Small muscle groups definitely do not need 5 exercises (count a superset as 2).
pirana6
Go Cougs!
+691|6453|Washington St.

Jebus wrote:

I'm with ghetto on this one. Those cable machines aren't as restricting as the real machines. I really don't see the problem with having one or two exercises of that kind in a workout, just my 0.02$
yep.

the only time i use the cable machines is when I do arms. I do bicep curls with them as well as tri pull-downs. However when I do biceps I do barbell curls, dumbbell curls, and others with strictly free weights. Same with tri's: I'll do dips, skulls, etc. (plus bench press and those...).

I use them (and like them! shit it's handy having everything right there and all you have to do is move a pin to change weights!) but not make them the focus of my workouts.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5341|Sydney
Free weights will always be superior for your workout. Because you MUST control the entire weight at ALL times.
You can only move a free weight in the manner that is most natural for your body too. Machines will simply never follow a completely natural range of motion.

Last edited by Jaekus (2011-04-11 12:16:52)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard