[-DER-]Omega
+188|6989|Lithuania

Zimmer wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

So I finally decided to join the gym to incorporate weight lifting in my workout routine. Thing is, there are so many different exercises, variations, and workout plans out there that I don't really know where to begin. I've limited experience with weights but have been on a somewhat steady routine of body weight exercises in the past year or so and I'd say I'm in pretty good shape to take on the iron. Can anyone recommend a basic plan for a newbie such as myself? fwiw i'm about 6'2 165lbs and can bench press somewhere close to my own bodyweight.
3 Full body workouts a week.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows and Overhead press.
How should I divide these workouts into 3 days?
https://bf3s.com/sigs/fe717ed1eb823c939460a42f15bced7dd0057c51.png
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5341|Sydney
I'm currently doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program, it goes like this:

Workout A: squats, bench press, barbell rows
Workout B: squats, overhead press, deadlifts

All exercises are 5x5, except for the deadlift which is 1x5.

Over a two week cycle the workout is as follows:
Week 1: mon A, wed B, fri A
Week 2: mon B, wed A, fri B

And thus the cycle continues.

This is a strength based routine, being 5x5. If you want to build more muscle or endurance than strength you need to change the sets and reps.

In the link Nuk posted on the previous page: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-many … -exercise/
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5646|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

id rather be strong then look strong.  also

I can't stress enough how little I care about how I look today. My confidence does NOT depend on how ripped, groomed or whatever I am. I don't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. I believe quitting bodybuilding and switching to strength training was THE key to getting this comfortable with my body. By focusing on strength I completely stopped caring about aesthetics.
That's great. Thing you've got to understand is my goals aren't his goals.
stop changing your goals every month then
Jaekus
+957|5341|Sydney

HaiBai wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

id rather be strong then look strong.  also

That's great. Thing you've got to understand is my goals aren't his goals.
stop changing your goals every month then
When I want your advice, I'll ask for it.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6763|132 and Bush

Shoulder heals and now might right pec feels strained .. . I need to work on my preworkout stretching.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium
Hmm, last day of Bill Starr's 5x5 (madcow version) today. Followed the program for 8 weeks straight, and I'm very impressed with the gains. Deadlift went up 20kg's, MP about 15KG (didn't do it before), BOR 15KG, Squat about 25-30KG and bench 5kg's.

Really happy with the gains, but it's starting to bore me a bit, so I'll switch to hypertrophy for a few weeks now; then probably return to this program.
Gonna have to go with a 3, perhaps 4-day split though, school work is taking up a big chunk of my time now.
Jaekus
+957|5341|Sydney

Kmar wrote:

Shoulder heals and now might right pec feels strained .. . I need to work on my preworkout stretching.
From the reading I've done, ballistic/dynamic stretching ONLY for pre-workout; one article claims you can gain as much as a 10% strength gain, though I have not tested this myself. A few different sources have agreed that static stretching should be in post workout only.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

[-DER-]Omega wrote:

So I finally decided to join the gym to incorporate weight lifting in my workout routine. Thing is, there are so many different exercises, variations, and workout plans out there that I don't really know where to begin. I've limited experience with weights but have been on a somewhat steady routine of body weight exercises in the past year or so and I'd say I'm in pretty good shape to take on the iron. Can anyone recommend a basic plan for a newbie such as myself? fwiw i'm about 6'2 165lbs and can bench press somewhere close to my own bodyweight.
3 Full body workouts a week.

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Barbell Rows and Overhead press.
How should I divide these workouts into 3 days?
I do all five in every workout.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium
Don't do that.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT
Pour quoi?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5005|Amsterdam
waaaay too intense

Last edited by Kampframmer (2011-04-08 03:04:48)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT
Explain?
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5005|Amsterdam
Squats and deadlifts are 2 very intense exercises that take up a lot of your energy, so its best to split those up. I used to do those in 1 day as well but now that I've split them up, both them are feeling so much lighter and better.
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5005|Amsterdam
But im not that knowledgeable when it comes to all those 5x5 compound lift programs. Jebus and Jaekus are both doing a 5x5 i believe so they should know more about it. Or you could ask zimmer
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT
Realistically, I'm not going to go a day without squatting.

My routine is currently the following:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press
External/Internal Shoulder Rotation (rotator cuff)
Abs
Kampframmer
Esq.
+313|5005|Amsterdam
I always save deadlifts for last with the lifts (so before abs) because it is just an incredibly energy demanding exercise.

That routine is just doing too many heavy lifts in 1 day. If you are going to squat every day, there is a big chance that your deadlift will be a little less than what you can actually do.

i would like to help you with making a routine, but as i said, i suck at those 5x5 routines
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

nukchebi0 wrote:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Abs
You shouldn't be doing deadlifts in every workout. Alternate deadlifts. Squats are fine.

You shouldn't do them every time because you're not hitting 100% with your deadlifts as your squats are hindering progression. Honestly, you're not helping yourself by doing deadlifts every time.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5927|Belgium
Like Zimmer said, squatting every workout is fine (If we're talking about a 3-day full body split, that is).

I deadlift once a week, on wednesday. My squats only consist of 4 sets on that day, instead of the regular five. I also don't go that heavy in weight. (If I did 110x5 for the last set on monday, I'll do 80x5 on the fourth(thus final) set of the squat on wednesday, then MP and DL, for example). Best of both worlds imo.
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6763|132 and Bush

Jaekus wrote:

Kmar wrote:

From the reading I've done, ballistic/dynamic stretching ONLY for pre-workout; one article claims you can gain as much as a 10% strength gain, though I have not tested this myself. A few different sources have agreed that static stretching should be in post workout only.
I'm going to have to go with my personal experience on this one man. I know for a fact that I haven't been stretching properly before my workouts. I've been rushing into them because of my schedule lately. Somewhere in between should be fine. Holding a static stretch for 8-12 secs isn't going to chop much off of my strength .. and if the alternative is missing a workout or two because my muscles were not loose then I'm absolutely going to make sure I'm properly prepared.
Xbone Stormsurgezz
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Abs
You shouldn't be doing deadlifts in every workout. Alternate deadlifts. Squats are fine.

You shouldn't do them every time because you're not hitting 100% with your deadlifts as your squats are hindering progression. Honestly, you're not helping yourself by doing deadlifts every time.
Is there a non-machine exercise for the hamstring that I can alternate deadlifts with? I just want to make sure I am training the legs evenly.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

nukchebi0 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Squat
Bench Press
Bent-over Row
Deadlift
Overhead Press
Abs

Is there a non-machine exercise for the hamstring that I can alternate deadlifts with? I just want to make sure I am training the legs evenly.
You do realise that the primary muscles worked on a deadlift are the gluteus maximus and erector spinae, right? The hamstrings get worked, but not as much.

If you want to work your hamstrings do a Good Morning or Straight leg deadlift.
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT

Zimmer wrote:

nukchebi0 wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

You do realise that the primary muscles worked on a deadlift are the gluteus maximus and erector spinae, right? The hamstrings get worked, but not as much.

If you want to work your hamstrings do a Good Morning or Straight leg deadlift.
Is there a handy guide to the different variations of the deadlift? I thought I'd been doing the Romanian deadlift, which I read is meant to emphasize the hamstrings a bit more.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6918|Scotland

Do you touch the ground with your deadlift? If you do, then you're doing a normal deadlift. If you don't then it's romanian - and yes, you're right, Romanian deadlifts concentrate more on hamstrings.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Glu … dlift.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham … rning.html
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Ham … dlift.html
lrishpride
+68|5310
Those Good Mornings look hard. Gonna try them laters
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6486|New Haven, CT
I just went to the gym to confirm, and I have been doing the regular deadlift - apparently I read something incorrectly. I tried the Romanian deadlift and it seemed a lot more stressful on the back than the regular deadlift. Is there a right choice between the two, or should I just choose dependent on what I want to emphasize?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard