lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

It is if that person was an innocent civilian. Which one would assume a "baby" which has done nothing wrong would be.
Oh God, more "what ifs".
Ok, so foetus's are enemy combatants. Gotya.
Sighhhhhhhh never said that. You are trying to claim through my argument that killing is murder in all cases, and that just isn't so.

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-07 23:45:36)

Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,054|6769|Little Bentcock

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing, your argument is that abortion is ending human life.

Their argument is that a foetus is not human life.

See how the debate will go no further than just shouting at each other?
don't recall shouting at anyone.

and they are not showing a fetus is not human life, they are trying to disqualify it as life through  a truck load of irrational thought. None of which supports the idea that what is growing inside a woman during pregnancy is not human life.
A foetus is as much a baby as some iron ore, limestone and carbon in a furnace is steel.

It is some cells, attached to a woman's uteres. it's not alive. It will become alive if the process continues, sure.
same as those ingredients in a furnace is not steel. It will become steel if the process continues, but if the factory suddenly closes, its just some gunk mixed together.

e: wrong word

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2011-04-08 00:01:05)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6828|Disaster Free Zone
Premeditated killing of an innocent, is murder in all cases.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Adams_BJ wrote:

lowing wrote:

Little BaBy JESUS wrote:

lowing, your argument is that abortion is ending human life.

Their argument is that a foetus is not human life.

See how the debate will go no further than just shouting at each other?

and they are not showing a fetus is not human life, they are trying to disqualify it as life through  a truck load of irrational thought. None of which supports the idea that what is growing inside a woman during pregnancy is not human life.
A foetus is as much a baby as some iron ore, limestone and carbon in a furnace is steel.

It is some cells, attached to a woman's uteres. it's not alive. It will become alive if the process continues, sure.
same as those ingredients in a furnace is not steel. It will become steel if the process continues, but if the factory suddenly closes, its just some gunk mixed together.

and by comparing a fetus to iron ore is another example of detaching yourself from the morality of what it is to abort a pregnancy. It is terminating human life.

you can call it a fetus, a baby, a toddler, a kid a teenager, a young adult, middle aged, geriatric. whatever stage of human life it is in, it is still human life. When you terminate a pregnancy you are terminating human life in the fetal stage. It really is that simple.

Save the morality of it all for another discussion, lets first agree on this.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

except in fetal stages of human life. According to the law.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
I can not.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Only because the law does not recognise a foetus as human life.
Adams_BJ

lowing wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

lowing wrote:

and by comparing a fetus to iron ore is another example of detaching yourself from the morality of what it is to abort a pregnancy. It is terminating human life.

you can call it a fetus, a baby, a toddler, a kid a teenager, a young adult, middle aged, geriatric. whatever stage of human life it is in, it is still human life. When you terminate a pregnancy you are terminating human life in the fetal stage. It really is that simple.

You can't say im detaching myself from morality when you can't seem to detach yourself away from spirituality/cosmology/xenology/anything else you want to call it.

It isn't alive. It's that simple. It just isn't. Not yet, it will be should the pregnancy continue, but it just isn't now. Once its organs have formed it is alive. While it is just a ball of cells, there is nothing alive about it apart from some cells behaving how cells behave according to their DNA.

The same as which sperm and eggs are alive, same as hair is alive, same as blood cells are alive, same as toenails are alive.

Last edited by Adams_BJ (2011-04-08 00:16:24)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

Only because the law does not recognise a foetus as human life.
oops.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feticide

now where do you wanna go with your argument?

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-08 00:21:11)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Adams_BJ wrote:

lowing wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

You can't say im detaching myself from morality when you can't seem to detach yourself away from spirituality/cosmology/xenology/anything else you want to call it.

It isn't alive. It's that simple. It just isn't. Not yet, it will be should the pregnancy continue, but it just isn't now. Once its organs have formed it is alive. While it is just a ball of cells, there is nothing alive about it apart from some cells behaving how cells behave according to their DNA.

The same as which sperm and eggs are alive, same as hair is alive, same as blood cells are alive, same as toenails are alive.
lol I can absolutely detach myself from anything regarding religious reasoning in this. I am not religious at all. My argument is biological. and yes it is alive.

hair, toenails, etc do not develop into a human . This argument is nothing more than rationalizing abortion. If you want to argue that a fetus is not alive then stop with the comparisons, and make an argument regarding the fetus itself. Because a fetus is not LIKE a toenail, or maggot, a fly, a blood cell or a fuckin' strand of hair.

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-08 00:27:28)

Adams_BJ

lowing wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

lowing wrote:

lol I can absolutely detach myself from anything regarding religious reasoning in this. I am not religious at all. My argument is biological. and yes it is alive.
It is not alive in a human sense, though. It just has the potential to be. You have to seperate the potential, from the actual. As I said before, it is just some cells duplicating because that's what its DNA told it to do. Up until its organs have begun to develop (some would argue only after they fully develop, but personally that's cutting it fine) it won't be defined as alive, by any standard apart for spiritually.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
Hmmm, 25 states. Hardly unanimous.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Adams_BJ wrote:

lowing wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

It is not alive in a human sense, though. It just has the potential to be. You have to seperate the potential, from the actual. As I said before, it is just some cells duplicating because that's what its DNA told it to do. Up until its organs have begun to develop (some would argue only after they fully develop, but personally that's cutting it fine) it won't be defined as alive, by any standard apart for spiritually.
I edited, please read.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

35 states.  that is only 15 states short from the entire nation. It is also the majority.  not being unanimous is not an argument.

YOu said the law does not recognize a fetus as being human life. It does! in the vast majority of this nation

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-08 00:33:05)

DrunkFace
Germans did 911

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

35 states.  that is only 15 states short from the entire nation. It is also the majority.  not being unanimous is not an argument.
And the rest of the world? No where in Australia is it homicide until near birth stage. In the UK the foetus must be 24 weeks and I suspect it's similar in most other countries. You know to fall in line with when legal abortions can take place.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6921|Noizyland

A foetus at its earliest stages, i.e. the stage they are generally aborted, is a cluster of cells that keeps multiplying and multiplying. It doesn't have a heartbeat, it doesn't have a brain and it doesn't have a central nervous system. It is not a sentient being. To say it is alive is to say cancer is alive. You can't argue that a foetus at this stage is a life; it is still just a potential life. It is not alive unless you are arguing that the cells themselves are alive in which case you must still conceed that the foetus itself is no more alive than your left kidney.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

DrunkFace wrote:

lowing wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

And the rest of the world? No where in Australia is it homicide until near birth stage. In the UK the foetus must be 24 weeks and I suspect it's similar in most other countries. You know to fall in line with when legal abortions can take place.
abortions in the UK were illegal for obvious reasons prior to 1967. So, what changed, biology or morality?  My argument is regarding biology, yours is morality based.

each and every stage of human development is essential in order to proceed with that development. Not a single stage is more or less important than the last. It is all human life. Only real question left is the value you choose to place on each stage, and that is where your argument comes into play.

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-08 02:22:10)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Ty wrote:

A foetus at its earliest stages, i.e. the stage they are generally aborted, is a cluster of cells that keeps multiplying and multiplying. It doesn't have a heartbeat, it doesn't have a brain and it doesn't have a central nervous system. It is not a sentient being. To say it is alive is to say cancer is alive. You can't argue that a foetus at this stage is a life; it is still just a potential life. It is not alive unless you are arguing that the cells themselves are alive in which case you must still conceed that the foetus itself is no more alive than your left kidney.
except, if it were the same as cancer or a kidney, there would be no reason to try and argue that it is the same as cancer or a kidney.

Saying a fetus is the same as cancer, kidneys, hair, blood, toe nails, iron ore, maggots or a fly or what ever the hell else it has been compared with  is not a biological fact.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6921|Noizyland

Lowing are you seriously saying that my opinion is invalid because I have to argue it? The same could be said to any opinion ever so I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Argument should be the basis of opinion in that you should always qualify your opinions with an argument.

And sure it is a biological fact. A foetus is in its beginning stages nothing but a cluster of cells, it has not yet formed a working brain or heart or lungs of nervous system. I suppose it differs from a Kidney in that it doesn't serve a function outside its own existance.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Ty wrote:

Lowing are you seriously saying that my opinion is invalid because I have to argue it? The same could be said to any opinion ever so I don't quite understand what you're getting at. Argument should be the basis of opinion in that you should always qualify your opinions with an argument.

And sure it is a biological fact. A foetus is in its beginning stages nothing but a cluster of cells, it has not yet formed a working brain or heart or lungs of nervous system. I suppose it differs from a Kidney in that it doesn't serve a function outside its own existance.
No sir, I have never said an opinion is invalid. Please don't misunderstand me on that.

I am pointing out that there have never been arguments comparing kidneys to iron ore, or toe nails to maggots, hair to blood cells. Reason is, why would you? Who cares? However, to go out of your way to try to make those comparisons to a human fetus must mean there is something inherently different about it, that difference is precisely because it is human life we are discussing.
Adams_BJ
The reason those comparisons are brought up is because you need comparisons to see where we are going. A ball of cells is not alive, at this early stage it really ISNT any different to a cell anywhere else in the body. Would you say a blood sell is human life? The only difference is the DNA inside it telling it what to do. One cell has been told to become a blood cell, so it becomes a blood cell, another gets told to multiply and form part of a baby. You can't honestly say that it is alive. It meets no criteria for being alive. You aren't seperating potential from actual.

Once it has formed organs that work it is alive. Before then its a growth on a woman's uterus. The only way you can say it is alive is on a spiritual basis. It has NO life in it. Nothing. End of story. To keep arguing that it is, is unrealistic and unreasonable. The argument comes to down to moral reasons. We aren't coming up with excuses to justify abortion in its early stages, we are coming up with facts. Just facts. It's basic biology.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5630|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Adams_BJ wrote:

Once it has formed organs that work it is alive. Before then its a growth on a woman's uterus. The only way you can say it is alive is on a spiritual basis. It has NO life in it. Nothing. End of story. To keep arguing that it is, is unrealistic and unreasonable. The argument comes to down to moral reasons. We aren't coming up with excuses to justify abortion in its early stages, we are coming up with facts. Just facts. It's basic biology.
it is not 'basic biology'.  scientists still have a tough time defining life because the definition of life is constantly changing.  a few years ago we would not have considered prokaryotes alive.

how do you know there won't be another scientific breakthrough that proves that a fetus is alive?
Adams_BJ

HaiBai wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

it is not 'basic biology'.  scientists still have a tough time defining life because the definition of life is constantly changing.  a few years ago we would not have considered prokaryotes alive.

how do you know there won't be another scientific breakthrough that proves that a fetus is alive?
because ball of cells =/= alive.

by any definition.

Its a growth
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5630|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Adams_BJ wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

because ball of cells =/= alive.

by any definition.

Its a growth
we're all balls of cells.  that doesn't mean anything
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6798|USA

Adams_BJ wrote:

The reason those comparisons are brought up is because you need comparisons to see where we are going. A ball of cells is not alive, at this early stage it really ISNT any different to a cell anywhere else in the body. Would you say a blood sell is human life? The only difference is the DNA inside it telling it what to do. One cell has been told to become a blood cell, so it becomes a blood cell, another gets told to multiply and form part of a baby. You can't honestly say that it is alive. It meets no criteria for being alive. You aren't seperating potential from actual.

no I would not say a blood cell is human life. I will say a fetus is human life? Why? Because every human life has a beginning. I say that beginning starts at the exact second of conception . A SPECIFIC exact point in the development of a human.

You say it is not. Fine. When EXACTLY and SPECIFICALLY do you go from a blob to human life. I want to know the exact moment.

I want to know when one day you are a blob, and 30 seconds later you are a human life. When EXACTLY might that be?

Last edited by lowing (2011-04-09 16:18:34)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard