UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5035|Massachusetts, USA
I don't think anyone can answer that question dude. It's just a chicken/egg argument. Don't pull that bullshit.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6680|Disaster Free Zone
Religion came before government there is no doubt. But did it religion evolve into government? I really don't think so.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6404|North Carolina

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing, the United States Government does not have references to common supernatural belief in it. Any references you might point to were added after the establishment of this nation. I will repeat this because you are dense YOU CAN NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE UNLESS THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES ARE FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE.

Edit for your edit - Religion predates history. Math and science are relatively new. Universal literacy is even newer. Who knows what will happen in the future, but the trend among humans today is that we are moving away from religion and becoming more secular every year.
Well then, if "YOU CAN NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE UNLESS THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES ARE FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE." Then that pretty much answers the question as to religion intertwined in modern America then doesn't it?

I do not think there has ever been any discoveries of any societies that do not have references to superstition, mythology, or supernatural beliefs. Nor do I think there has ever been any reference to any govt. that has no reference to any of the same. For me, that pretty much answers the question as to what came first, religion or govt.
I'm not really going to take a side on this, but what I have noticed is that some recent archaeological research has pointed to religion being personal enough in nature to precede civilization.

Previous assumptions implied that religion was generally the sort of thing that came about after societies started resembling more of what we define as civilizations, but now, it looks like religion (at least in some areas) came before the process of civilization and perhaps might have inspired it.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/02/18/hist … aking.html

Last edited by Turquoise (2011-04-04 08:17:45)

Zukabazuka
+23|6684
Didn't they pay taxes to the church only in the middle ages, and didn't the Vatican have a lot of power when it was around hundred years ago. I suppose it still have power but not that much.

I think religion was turned in to a government but was starting to lose the grip when people started to figure out that almost all the things the bible taught was wrong.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6657|BC, Canada

Turquoise wrote:

lowing wrote:

Jay wrote:

lowing, the United States Government does not have references to common supernatural belief in it. Any references you might point to were added after the establishment of this nation. I will repeat this because you are dense YOU CAN NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE UNLESS THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES ARE FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE.

Edit for your edit - Religion predates history. Math and science are relatively new. Universal literacy is even newer. Who knows what will happen in the future, but the trend among humans today is that we are moving away from religion and becoming more secular every year.
Well then, if "YOU CAN NOT HAVE A GOVERNMENT FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE UNLESS THE PEOPLE THEMSELVES ARE FREE OF RELIGIOUS INFLUENCE." Then that pretty much answers the question as to religion intertwined in modern America then doesn't it?

I do not think there has ever been any discoveries of any societies that do not have references to superstition, mythology, or supernatural beliefs. Nor do I think there has ever been any reference to any govt. that has no reference to any of the same. For me, that pretty much answers the question as to what came first, religion or govt.
I'm not really going to take a side on this, but what I have noticed is that some recent archaeological research has pointed to religion being personal enough in nature to precede civilization.

Previous assumptions implied that religion was generally the sort of thing that came about after societies started resembling more of what we define as civilizations, but now, it looks like religion (at least in some areas) came before the process of civilization and perhaps might have inspired it.

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/02/18/hist … aking.html
I wouldn't say that proves religion came first at all, from the sounds of it, they would have had to have used some pretty advanced building techniques to build something like that. Meaning it came along sometime after civilization began.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio

Uzique wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Islam = third world religion.  Christianity = first world.

Thats why one is "violent" and one is not.  Throw any religious person into a shithole war torn country, teach them nothing but poverty, oppression, murder, rape, violence, and in Afgahnistan, make them all opium addicts.  Oh, and also forget to educate them.  Then burn the symbol of one of the only things they have, their religion.  Outcome is going to be the same, every time.

I've been saying this for a while now on here and to me it makes perfect sense.  You cannot just point to someone's faith and say that is why they are acting certain ways.  The Muslims in Saudi Arabia who have oogles of billions of oil dollars living in mansions made of gold hardly seem to care about this Florida guy burning a Koran.  See my point?
one of the best posts from an american i've read in D&ST on the matter of islam
lol so why isnt mexico a bunch of mooslims?  or vietnam?  or panama?  or cuba?  meh.  you are terribly wrong tbh.
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS
vietnam has its own religion.

islam isn't everywhere marine...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

Spark wrote:

so what?  third world he said. right?  so basically he is saying poor = violent...and that aint true.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2011-04-05 02:53:29)

Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

Thats why one is "violent" and one is not.  Throw any religious person into a shithole war torn country, teach them nothing but poverty, oppression, murder, rape, violence, and in Afgahnistan, make them all opium addicts.  Oh, and also forget to educate them.  Then burn the symbol of one of the only things they have, their religion.  Outcome is going to be the same, every time.

I've been saying this for a while now on here and to me it makes perfect sense.  You cannot just point to someone's faith and say that is why they are acting certain ways.  The Muslims in Saudi Arabia who have oogles of billions of oil dollars living in mansions made of gold hardly seem to care about this Florida guy burning a Koran.  See my point?
lol so why isnt mexico a bunch of mooslims?  or vietnam?  or panama?  or cuba?  meh.  you are terribly wrong tbh.
Malaysia is full of mooslims and theyre doing ok imo.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6673|Canberra, AUS

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

so what?  third world he said. right?  so basically he is saying poor = violent...and that aint true.
it certainly helps...
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
11 Bravo
Banned

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

it certainly helps...
bullshit.  america, england, mexican cartels, bin laden, .... all rich,,all very violent.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

it certainly helps...
bullshit.  america, england, mexican cartels, bin laden, .... all rich,,all very violent.
i think youd be pretty piss if you couldnt drink or get pussy and live in a desert lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
11 Bravo
Banned

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Spark wrote:

it certainly helps...
i think youd be pretty piss if you couldnt drink or get pussy and live in a desert lol.
bin laden was all over the world drinking and stuff.....
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

bin laden was all over the world drinking and stuff.....
not referring to him, but to most of the people in the ME.

laden's just a spoiled bitch that hates america, he even got exiled by his own country and was known as the black sheep of the family.
11 Bravo
Banned
just saying the money excuse is just that...and excuse.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6715

11 Bravo wrote:

just saying the money excuse is just that...and excuse.
poverty has more to do with crime and violence than culture or religion. but this is not to say all crime is caused by the poor, there are some rich fuckers that are criminals. good example is that in vancouvar a lot of the gangs are middle class asian and hajji kids.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

11 Bravo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Spearhead wrote:

the fuck are you on about? are you really being that stupid? you're trying to use one generalization to explain unrest, conflict and violence all over the entire WORLD? well it pays to look at the history and actual specifics of each area. vietnam, mexico, panama and cuba historically have nothing to do with islam, at all, so how can you use their example to dismiss the middle-east? that's retarded tbh. every area and its peoples are a product of their own individual history; it's hard, even, to really compare places as similar as the united states and britain (even though they are a lot-- but this is because of the clear link, your examples have none whatsoever). the problems of central and latin america have nothing in common with the middle-east. money? you can't apply such a gross generalization to the entire globe. inequality and money problems affect different places and different cultures in many different ways, often according to the type of government, religion and culture.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT

Uzique wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Uzique wrote:

the fuck are you on about? are you really being that stupid? you're trying to use one generalization to explain unrest, conflict and violence all over the entire WORLD? well it pays to look at the history and actual specifics of each area. vietnam, mexico, panama and cuba historically have nothing to do with islam, at all, so how can you use their example to dismiss the middle-east? that's retarded tbh. every area and its peoples are a product of their own individual history; it's hard, even, to really compare places as similar as the united states and britain (even though they are a lot-- but this is because of the clear link, your examples have none whatsoever). the problems of central and latin america have nothing in common with the middle-east. money? you can't apply such a gross generalization to the entire globe. inequality and money problems affect different places and different cultures in many different ways, often according to the type of government, religion and culture.
That generalization perchance?

Hilariously it appears you are agreeing with 11 B, and in doing so kind of contradicting yourself.

Edit: I was referring to Spearhead's statement that Christianity is a first world religion whereas Islam is a third world religion.

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2011-04-05 03:21:57)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
no, what i am arguing for is the way that money has affected the current situation in the middle-east... but i am saying it is incomparable to anywhere else. just because 'economics' is the (claimed) root-cause, doesn't mean you can just apply the same generalisation to the entire world. as i said... it's highly specific to the situation and history of the area.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
11 Bravo
Banned

Uzique wrote:

no, what i am arguing for is the way that money has affected the current situation in the middle-east... but i am saying it is incomparable to anywhere else. just because 'economics' is the (claimed) root-cause, doesn't mean you can just apply the same generalisation to the entire world. as i said... it's highly specific to the situation and history of the area.
they got shit tons of money in the ME.  what is your point?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
are you seriously that obtuse? yes... historically... all that great wealth... so shared with the people... so much advancement and education...

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

nukchebi0 wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Exactly. That is what 11 B was trying to suggest, that you can't associate religious reliefs with economic development. Considering the original post by Spearhead said that is the case, and you lauded said post as "one of the best posts you've seen from an American on the topic of islam", that seems kind of contradictory.
islam's current extremism is a cultural manifestation of economic inequality in the region

well, partly anyway... geopolitics and antinomy with the west is another

Last edited by Uzique (2011-04-05 03:26:10)

nukchebi0
Пушкин, наше всё
+387|6323|New Haven, CT

Uzique wrote:

Exactly. That is what 11 B was trying to suggest, that you can't associate religious reliefs with economic development. Considering the original post by Spearhead said that is the case, and you lauded said post as "one of the best posts from an american i've read in D&ST on the matter of islam", that seems kind of contradictory.

Edit: lel at the post order

Last edited by nukchebi0 (2011-04-05 03:26:31)

11 Bravo
Banned

Uzique wrote:

are you seriously that obtuse? yes... historically... all that great wealth... so shared with the people... so much advancement and education...

and why dont they share it?

or maybe i should post a pic of dubai like some people do
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i claimed it was one of the best posts because it does more than to just consider the last 10 years of history

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard