jord
+2,382|6682|The North, beyond the wall.

lowing wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

lowing wrote:

Since you are not posting anything constructive, I will ask.

Do you feel it is the company's job to cater to your health needs and pay for you not to be at work? Or maybe that is something that should be someone else's responsibility, like,  I dunno, YOURS?
The thing I always wonder about people who do believe that is...where is their self respect and sense of pride?

And by 'that', I mean " feel it is the company's job to cater to your health needs and pay for you not to be at work"
There is no shortage of people in the US with a complete lack of work ethic. It costs the company money which is trickled down to all of us as a burden to carry.
It's not just the US, it's the world. What is a work ethic anyway, breaking your balls to make someone else achieve a bigger profit margin?
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6134|North Tonawanda, NY

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

The thing I always wonder about people who do believe that is...where is their self respect and sense of pride?

And by 'that', I mean " feel it is the company's job to cater to your health needs and pay for you not to be at work"
There is no shortage of people in the US with a complete lack of work ethic. It costs the company money which is trickled down to all of us as a burden to carry.
It's not just the US, it's the world. What is a work ethic anyway, breaking your balls to make someone else achieve a bigger profit margin?
I think in this case, it means actually doing the job you're paid to do.
Blue Herring
+13|4809

SenorToenails wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

No silly, that's slavery.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Blue Herring wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

jord wrote:

No silly, that's slavery.
Except for the whole 'getting paid' part, lol
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

SenorToenails wrote:

Jay wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I dunno, they might get sued for providing the means to make the diabetes worse!
Or get put on the hook for paying for their employees diet plans along with a personal trainer.
hahahahaha, I don't get how that kind of shit can be claimed with a straight face.
Good example: Physical Therapy.  I know an employee who gets to leave during the work day for his multiple monthly "massages".  Mind you, a PM (Project Manager) making six figures.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Ilocano wrote:

Good example: Physical Therapy.  I know an employee who gets to leave during the work day for his multiple monthly "massages".  Mind you, a PM (Project Manager) making six figures.
Was this due to an on-the-job injury?  How else could an employer find that acceptable, unless there was some prior agreement (flex time, etc...)?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

SenorToenails wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

Was this due to an on-the-job injury?  How else could an employer find that acceptable, unless there was some prior agreement (flex time, etc...)?
I believe pre-existing condition.  But be valuable enough to the company, and you can pretty much make up your own terms.  We have people here who do DBA support wirelessly from the beach in Hawaii.  I can pretty much work from home if I need to (need to take care of personal things during the day for example).  Make up the balance of the 40 hours at night or the weekend or just take PTO.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

If you really need to ask that question, then consider yourself part of the problem.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Ilocano wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

I believe pre-existing condition.  But be valuable enough to the company, and you can pretty much make up your own terms.  We have people here who do DBA support wirelessly from the beach in Hawaii.  I can pretty much work from home if I need to (need to take care of personal things during the day for example).  Make up the balance of the 40 hours at night or the weekend or just take PTO.
Prior arrangement/perk of the job...gotcha.  Your standard wageslave won't get that kind of benefit!

That is a little different than what the OP is referring to though, isn't it?
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

SenorToenails wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Prior arrangement/perk of the job...gotcha.  Your standard wageslave won't get that kind of benefit!

Yeah.  But with this new issue, those perks could become the norm.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6409|North Carolina

Ilocano wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

lol...  Ha, I wish.

Seriously, if the changes are dramatic, it could just lead to more outsourcing in the short run, followed by a revision in the law to lessen its scope a year or two later.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6671

Turquoise wrote:

Ilocano wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

lol...  Ha, I wish.

Seriously, if the changes are dramatic, it could just lead to more outsourcing in the short run, followed by a revision in the law to lessen its scope a year or two later.
We're already outsourcing.  I need a database reindexed.  I shoot out a ticket, it gets to our DBA's in India in the evening, and come morning, my database has been optimized.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

If you really need to ask that question, then consider yourself part of the problem.
I'm 100% fine with that. I just do as little as I can possibly get away with at work...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6110|eXtreme to the maX

jord wrote:

I'm 100% fine with that. I just do as little as I can possibly get away with at work...
You're going to need to do better than that.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

ya don't say.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

ya don't say.
Yup. At work right now, browsing bf2s...

Wish it was more active. Not that it matters, I've brought a book as well.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

ya don't say.

no kiddin'
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

ya don't say.

no kiddin'
Nope. I might even finish it today. About 20/60 pages read just this morning. Gonna be close.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

no kiddin'
Nope. I might even finish it today. About 20/60 pages read just this morning. Gonna be close.
well just remember, if "the man" tries to fuck with ya, you can get the ACLU to claim harassment and discrimination on your behalf. Might even get Sharpton or Jackson to say a few words about your oppression.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

no kiddin'
well just remember, if "the man" tries to fuck with ya, you can get the ACLU to claim harassment and discrimination on your behalf. Might even get Sharpton or Jackson to say a few words about your oppression.
I'm good. If the military taught me one thing, it's how to get away with doing as little as possible. It was essential.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

I'm good. If the military taught me one thing, it's how to get away with doing as little as possible. It was essential.
yeah but as companies feel the pinch, they might expect you to actually produce something, so watch out for that. Just remember you got unions and the ACLU there to fight on your behalf.
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

yeah but as companies feel the pinch, they might expect you to actually produce something, so watch out for that. Just remember you got unions and the ACLU there to fight on your behalf.
I do produce something. Like I said, as little as I can "get away with". I'll be fine.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

I do produce something. Like I said, as little as I can "get away with". I'll be fine.
sounds like ya got all your bases covered then, and you know what liberal organizations you can  turn to if or when your employer decides they want more from you for their money.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5590

Jord is trolling you lowing. He doesn't read books.
jord
Lol.

Actually I just ordered "thus spoke zarathrustra" the other day. I believe you enjoyed it.

Last edited by jord (2011-04-01 06:17:44)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard